Railroad Forums 

• Any tips?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1148952  by railjunky

I'm obviously new here so I'll start by introducing myself. My names Aaron and I'm a 24yr old personal trainer. I've been working at my gym for about 2 years now. I enjoy working out, playing guitar, working on my car, and constantly learning and trying to improve myself in anyway I can. The reason why I posted in this section first is because I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice.

I dated a girl who's dad was one of the managers for Union Pacific in Southern California. He tried to get me a job as a track laborer but I was denied due to not having a CDL. Since then I've been trying for a crew member but can't get an interview. I get interviews for positions I'm not come rely qualified for but don't have a chance on entry level positions. Is there any advice you guys could give me on if they're looking for something specific on the resume or I'm I'm just doing something wrong?
 #1231559  by vader33

Any luck getting hired on? If not, and you're still looking to be, here's some advice:

MSO's (Mechanical Service Operators) aka: Laborers, Hostlers, Truck Drivers, F&O's (old term for Fireman and Oiler) are generally the least skilled of the crafts. Not that it's a bad job in any way, it's just that these folks are generally hired off the street with no prior experience. Along with Machinists, Electricians, Boilermakers (welders), Pipefitters (plumbing and air line work), Sheet Metal Workers, and Carmen, they make up the Mechanical department. If you have no real experience in any of the trades, consider applying for an MSO job. Keep in mind that new MSO's only make 80% of the full listed wage their first year, and the first year is AT LEAST 120 WORKING days. In other words, if you get hired as an MSO in September, you have to work the entire next year to be able to bump up in pay the first of the following year. Example, Johnny got hired Sept 15, 2013 as an MSO. He receives 80% of his full wage for the remainder of 2013, ALL of 2014, and is eligible for 85% on Jan 1, 2015. Kinda sucks, but the MSO union negotiated that.

I bring up the MSO point because based on your post you basically said you don't have any experience elsewhere. If in the time since your original post you've learned to weld, or have gone to school to learn another craft, then great, apply for that respective craft. If you've gotten your CDL, then apply for the track laborer position. Keep in mind that position is EXTREMELY physical, as you're the guy literally laying track for 12 hours a day, sometimes 6 days a week. Those guys are often away from home for anywhere from 2-6 weeks at a time as well. They work day and night, rain or shine. But you probably wouldn't have a problem with it if you're a personal trainer.

I'd recommend looking again at http://www.up.jobs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and looking for jobs in the mechanical department in your area, and look for MSO jobs. Once hired as an MSO and you've been on for 2 years, you have the opportunity to apprentice another craft and make more money. Also, keep in mind that the railroad runs 24/7/365. Once hired and out of your probationary period, kiss the idea of a Monday-Friday 9-5 job goodbye. Most likely you'll end up working 2nd shift (3pm-11pm) with Tuesday and Wednesday off. But the pay is great and the benefits are awesome. Oh and another thing, if given another interview, remember this: Safety! SAFETY! SAFETY!!!! You love safety! You would marry safety if you could. You named your pet goldfish Safety Sam and you go jogging with a helmet on. Get the point? If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me. Good luck!