Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak selling surplus locomotives and cars

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1488696  by frequentflyer

https://procurement.amtrak.com/irj/port ... &NavMode=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go to non construction business oppurtunities, the second item down.- As is , where is. Bring your check book.

LINE #1 - Heritage Baggage Cars – Weight 117,000 lbs. each

CAR # DESCRIPTION LOCATION BID PRICE:

#1707 1953 Heritage Baggage Car Beech Grove, IN _________
#1717 1953 Heritage Baggage Car Beech Grove, IN _________
#1730 1961 Heritage Baggage Car Beech Grove, IN _________
#1733 1961 Heritage Baggage Car Beech Grove, IN _________
#1755 1950 Heritage Baggage Car Beech Grove, IN _________
#1731 1961 Heritage Baggage Car Wilmington, DE _________
#1756 1961 Heritage Baggage Car Wilmington, DE _________
#1762 1954 Heritage Baggage Car Wilmington, DE _________

LINE #2 - Santa Fe “Parlour Cars” Hi-Level Lounge - Weight 194,000 lbs. each

#39970 1954 Parlour Car, High –Level Lounge Beech Grove, IN _________
#39972 1954 Parlour Car, High –Level Lounge Beech Grove, IN _________
#39973 1954 Parlour Car, High –Level Lounge Beech Grove, IN _________
#39974 1954 Parlour Car, High –Level Lounge Beech Grove, IN _________
#39975 1954 Parlour Car, High –Level Lounge Beech Grove, IN _________

LINE #3 - P40 Diesel Locomotive’s - Weight 263,340 lbs. each

#800 1993 P-40 Diesel Locomotive Beech Grove, IN _________
#801 1993 P-40 Diesel Locomotive Beech Grove, IN _________
#802 1993 P-40 Diesel Locomotive Beech Grove, IN _________
#803 1993 P-40 Diesel Locomotive Beech Grove, IN _________
#804 1993 P-40 Diesel Locomotive Beech Grove, IN _________
#805 1993 P-40 Diesel Locomotive Beech Grove, IN _________
#806 1993 P-40 Diesel Locomotive Beech Grove, IN _________
#811 1993 P-40 Diesel Locomotive Beech Grove, IN _________
#813 1993 P-40 Diesel Locomotive Beech Grove, IN _________
#825 1993 P-40 Diesel Locomotive Beech Grove, IN _________
#826 1993 P-40 Diesel Locomotive Beech Grove, IN _________
#828 1993 P-40 Diesel Locomotive Wilmington, DE _________

LINE #4 - Horizon Cars – Weight 110,500 lbs.

#58100 1989 Horizon Club Dinette Beech Grove, IN _________
#54506 1989 Horizon Coach Beech Grove, IN _________
#54520 1989 Horizon Coach Beech Grove, IN _________
#54528 1989 Horizon Coach Beech Grove, IN _________
#54538 1989 Horizon Coach Beech Grove, IN _________
#53502 1989 Horizon Full Dinette Beech Grove, IN _________
#54564 1989 Horizon Coach Wilmington, DE _________

LINE #5 - EMD F40 Diesel Locomotive’s – Weight 260,340 lbs. each

#401 1987 F40 Diesel Locomotive Bear, DE _________
#402 1987 F40 Diesel Locomotive Bear, DE _________
#404 1987 F40 Diesel Locomotive Bear, DE _________
#408 1987 F40 Diesel Locomotive Bear, DE _________
#409 1987 F40 Diesel Locomotive Bear, DE _________
#403 1987 F40 Diesel Locomotive Beech Grove, IN _________
#405 1987 F40 Diesel Locomotive Beech Grove, IN _________
#407 1987 F40 Diesel Locomotive Beech Grove, IN _________

LINE #6 - P42 Diesel Locomotive’s – Weight 268,000 lbs. each

CAR # DESCRIPTION LOCATION BID PRICE
#21 1996 GE P42 Diesel Beech Grove, IN _________
#49 1997 GE P42 Diesel Beech Grove, IN _________
#70 1996 GE P42 Diesel Beech Grove, IN _________

LINE #7 - Army Flats – Weight 130,000
Material Handling Cars – Weights 101,000 lbs. each

#15679 1953 Army Flat Car New Haven, CT _________
#15744 1953 Army Flat Car New Haven, CT _________
#1503 1990 Material Handling Car New Haven, CT _________
#1542 1990 Material Handling Car New Haven, CT _________
#1557 1990 Material Handling Car New Haven, CT _________

BID CLOSE DATE: November 14, 2018
 #1488701  by mtuandrew

Selling Geneses & Horizons? The other equipment I expected, but those are out of left field for me.

Let’s see who comes calling after the Parlours. I wouldn’t mind at all if some state operator is willing to pick up these cars and go shopping at Corridor Capital. (They claim to be a lessor only, but everyone has their price.)
 #1488708  by andegold

Would the Horizon Club or Dinette be something any of the commuter clubs might be interested in? Would any of the commuter railroads welcome the clubs back or is the witching and scheduling just too much of a burden?
 #1488716  by andrewjw

andegold wrote:Would the Horizon Club or Dinette be something any of the commuter clubs might be interested in? Would any of the commuter railroads welcome the clubs back or is the witching and scheduling just too much of a burden?
Perhaps a commuter railroad (CDOT? MBTA?) should take a look at them just to supplement their fleets. MARC's spares can only go one place at once.
 #1488720  by mtuandrew

andegold wrote:Would the Horizon Club or Dinette be something any of the commuter clubs might be interested in? Would any of the commuter railroads welcome the clubs back or is the witching and scheduling just too much of a burden?
No commuter line is gonna go out and buy new club cars, let alone used cars, let alone used single-level cars that don’t really match their current equipment. They also aren’t going to encourage commuter clubs to (re-)form regardless of their chosen railcar.

It isn’t lost on me that there’s enough Horizons and Geneses (heck, F40PHs) for sale that a cheapskate DOT (for instance, the Indiana Dept of Transportation) could buy a full pair of trainsets for a low-patronage one-a-day regional (like, say, the Hoosier State.) At least, if I worked at Beech Grove I’d be tipping off my counterparts in Indianapolis.

CDOT isn’t a bad possibility, especially if they can get Amtrak to part with another 10 Horizons. Not all that many cars on the market are certified for 110+. The non-auto doors are a pain though.

Are these damaged or otherwise not usable, beyond needing COTS and a thorough cleaning?
 #1488725  by Ryand-Smith

If Vermont wanted to they could build their knowledge corridor (Or was that CT) train by simply running dual header trains to avoid the need for a cab car easily. This is enough for a basic starter commuter service
 #1488728  by electricron

Ryand-Smith wrote:If Vermont wanted to they could build their knowledge corridor (Or was that CT) train by simply running dual header trains to avoid the need for a cab car easily. This is enough for a basic starter commuter service
Five Horizon coaches plus one each Horizon Full and Club Diner adds up to 7 cars in total. AllEarth Rail owns 10 undamaged Budd RDCs in great shape, that don’t require additional diesel locomotives available for lease.
I doubt all the rolling stock Amtrak is selling are in undamaged shape!
 #1488730  by Ridgefielder

mtuandrew wrote:
No commuter line is gonna go out and buy new club cars, let alone used cars, let alone used single-level cars that don’t really match their current equipment. They also aren’t going to encourage commuter clubs to (re-)form regardless of their chosen railcar.

It isn’t lost on me that there’s enough Horizons and Geneses (heck, F40PHs) for sale that a cheapskate DOT (for instance, the Indiana Dept of Transportation) could buy a full pair of trainsets for a low-patronage one-a-day regional (like, say, the Hoosier State.) At least, if I worked at Beech Grove I’d be tipping off my counterparts in Indianapolis.

CDOT isn’t a bad possibility, especially if they can get Amtrak to part with another 10 Horizons. Not all that many cars on the market are certified for 110+. The non-auto doors are a pain though.

Are these damaged or otherwise not usable, beyond needing COTS and a thorough cleaning?
ConnDOT should be in the mix as a potential buyer of the Horizons. They're probably in much better shape than the ex-MBTA stuff they're using for the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield startup. Problem is the state is pretty well broke.

Elsewhere in New England there's also the maybe-vaporware-but-maybe-real outfit called Boston Surface Railroad, that's supposedly trying to get a Providence-Woonsocket-Worcester service up and running. They've already acquired a pair of FL9's.
 #1488732  by DutchRailnut

all this horizon stuff is wreck disposal other than Pacific cars really nothing is salvagable.
the P40's most of them are sitting on shop trucks with many parts removed. The P42's are wreck and fire damage .

as for Ridgefielders comment about Boston Surface railroad, they bid on all 6 FL-9's, jacked up price for no reason and then realized they could not pay. so out of two units they won the bid on, 2011 went to Cape Cod Central and other unit is still not paid for.
 #1488736  by Greg Moore

Yeah, I've got to admit I'm a bit surprised by the Horizons dinnets. I'd think Amtrak would have used them as cafes and converted more Amfleet cafes into coaches.
And very surprised they want to get rid of coaches. There must be an issue with them that really makes them not very viable.

As for the Parlour cars, that's sad, but not unexpected.

The baggage cars... will go to scrappers.
 #1488748  by Backshophoss

All the heritage cars along with the retired horizons could become part supplies for the private car shops across the US
if IP has the cash,1 pacific parlor could join the Hi-level cars at Alamosa Co.(SLRG)
The P40/42 hulks are scrap material.
 #1488750  by Matt Johnson

I have to wonder if Amtrak will ever have anything as nice as the Pacific Parlour cars again. Maybe not the real wood, but how about some faux wood trim and nice seats in a first class lounge that looks a little better than your average Sightseer lounge? I wonder how the Starlight is doing during peak periods with only the single Sightseer. It runs, or at least used to run, with more sleepers and coaches than the Zephyr though maybe the Empire Builder is comparable. But it'd be nice if standardization of service meant improving the trains that lack a first class lounge rather than eliminating one of the few nice amenities Amtrak had.

Of course, the current regime doesn't even believe in proper dining car service so I consider myself lucky to have experienced this aboard the Starlight back in 2013!
 #1488762  by electricron

dgvrengineer wrote:Ozark Mountain Rail has Ex-Santa Fe highlevel coaches and diners for sale. May be Corridor Capital's cars I'm not sure. Combine with Pacific Parlour cars would make a really nice train.
I agree they would. There’s 6 HiLevel diners and 6 HiLevel lounges to go with 61 coaches out there. So far nobody wants them. I would love to see Texas buy enough of them to run standard speed trains directly between El Paso and Dallas, Amarillo and Dallas, and McAllen and Houston - i.e. extensions off the future Texas Central HSR between Dallas and Houston. 3 routes, 2 train sets per route, uses all 6 sets of HiLevel rolling stock, with plenty of coaches to go around on possibly shorter routes. But that’s my dream and not a reality based expectations.
Last edited by electricron on Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.