Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak HHP-8 Discussion: Use, Reliability, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1632312  by Gilbert B Norman

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:30 pm I hope all the engine parts go to MARC. :)
Shant the parts interchangeable with those on the Acela Power Units be held in inventory?

After all, with the apparently now indefinite delays with acceptance of the Aviella sets, who knows how much longer the active Acela sets will remain in revenue service.

So far as I know, the "Hippos" were essentially two Acela Power Units thrown together: a "Siamese Twin" engine, shall we say :-D
 #1632315  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:24 am
STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:30 pm I hope all the engine parts go to MARC. :)
Shant the parts interchangeable with those on the Acela Power Units be held in inventory?

After all, with the apparently now indefinite delays with acceptance of the Aviella sets, who knows how much longer the active Acela sets will remain in revenue service.

So far as I know, the "Hippos" were essentially two Acela Power Units thrown together: a "Siamese Twin" engine, shall we say :-D
If they are, then all of them stay with Amtrak. Still, it's about time Amtrak does push-pull service.
 #1632316  by Jeff Smith

I doubt you’ll see these on the corridor. One would think that they are using such to replace aging Metroliners. Outside of the Keystone and Hartford lines where else would you use them?
 #1632339  by jp1822

I would think that Amtrak did keep the parts for the HHP8's - if useful for the Acela Express power units - being there's a delay with the Avelia train sets. Moreover, Amtrak has already sidelined two Acela Express train sets and began gutting them for parts.......
 #1632363  by Emmett

honestly between HHP-C's replacing to metro's and running around on the KC and ALC's zipping around on the pennsylvanian, It'll be 1971 all over again, VARIETY AT LAST FOR THE KEYSTONE CORRIDOR! :smiley: :smile:
 #1632368  by nomis

Does anyone know what motors have changed numbers as of yet to become 9750 to 9757? ULMER has not yet been updated for the changes.
 #1632377  by Emmett

i believe as far as i know (not super big amount) 9750 is the only one as, AMTRAK doesnt own 99.9% of the HHP-8 fleet. Alstom leased them. will amtrak buy them back, to complete the HHP-C conversion, i hope so.
 #1632378  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Emmett, Bombardier, as the builder and predecessor to Alstom, sold these engines to several lessors, including quite non-transportation Phillip Morris (those White cylindrical things that some people still put in their mouths and go "puff"), that leased them to Amtrak.

Since Amtrak had stripped some of them for Acela compatible parts (as I noted earlier, the HHP-8 is essentially two Acela Power Units in one engine), that caused a "fruck-fruck" - as if the leesors had any other ready market for them. Who knows if it was simply Mechanical Department with ignorance over "who owns what" or a deliberate "we can get away with it; they won't catch us" on the part of 1 Mass.