Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak GP-40PH's in Phaze V

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#67068  by AEM7AC920

To my understanding the HHP-8's then AEM-7AC's do the heavier trains and then the regular AEM-7's do all the other work or run a double for a heavy train.

#67089  by hsr_fan

It used to be that the Palmetto seemed to always get an HHP-8. I think that was due to the roadrailers it often had (I seem to recall that the AEM-7's braking system is somehow incompatible with roadrailers). Lately, however, I've been seeing the Palmetto being pulled by an AEM-7.

Regarding the P32-8's, one of them has been sitting in the MOW yard south of New Brunswick, NJ for a while (I think it's #513).

I took the train from Brig to Zermatt last year, btw! Quite a beautiful place!

#67107  by someone

i see, what's about E60 ? no longer in service?

#67132  by geoffs

someone wrote:i see, what's about E60 ? no longer in service?
All E60's withdrawn.
Two saved for preservation.
Three went to the Navajo Mine RR but these have now been withdrawn too.

Full list of known dispositions as well as regular working assignments of the other types at http://www.gobytrain.us/amtrak/notes/

Geoff Sarbutt

#67294  by nick11a

I've been holding off posting here to try to keep NJT in #1, but now that is over with:

Here is a photo just added to Railpictures.net of the GP38H-3 520. Looks real intersting:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=84404

#67472  by early80sNECguy

THAT LOOKS REALLY COOL!!!!!

#67482  by crazy_nip

funny how that looks like one of the early CSX paint schemes...

except the lower frame rail was also blue and the blue on the top of the cab came down to about the bottom of the window

I dont know why they are wasting money repainting these non-revenue units

another stupid move by money short amtrak

#67486  by DutchRailnut

So your saying it would be wiser to let a locomotive rust ?? after a total rebuilt were everything has been taken apart ???
once you break the paint seals your just letting water in all over.

#67497  by nick11a

Haha. No, I prefer no train companies to have that scheme. :-)

#67500  by RMadisonWI

early80sNECguy wrote:I say Amtrak goes to this scheme........ :-D

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7863
How long ago did this occur?

We're kidding ourselves if we think random ID checks to make sure passenger ID names match the names on the ticket are going to make us safer. If a vandal/group of vandals can spend time emptying can after can of spray paint onto the side of railcars, what's to stop someone with more sinister intentions from doing something many times worse?

Robert Madison

#67502  by octr202

I take it that the GP-38H-3's are retaining their HEP capability? Certainly, if they're just a GP-38 inside there, there's plenty of space. That could be very useful for a switcher (emergency resuce power, keeping a train warm on a cold morning when moving it from coach yard to terminal, etc...).

#67508  by early80sNECguy

Off Topic for sure but I agree.....

You figure that "tagging" took hours to do and at least 30+ cans of paint. A "evil-doer" could easily create a "WMD" out of a locomotive with no problem!

Back to the Geep...............I believe they retained their HEP....be stupid to get rid of it if it is already there!

#67509  by RMadisonWI

Well, the HEP cables are still there.