Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Express suspended as of Oct 1 2020

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1573815  by eolesen

Just because the baggage cars are there doesn't mean that they want to dedicate resources to having to handle the shipments. I've always viewed it as a manpower heavy operation that probably couldn't cover its costs.
 #1573886  by bostontrainguy

eolesen wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:44 am Just because the baggage cars are there doesn't mean that they want to dedicate resources to having to handle the shipments. I've always viewed it as a manpower heavy operation that probably couldn't cover its costs.
I've been in the Boston baggage room a few times and there is plenty of room for additional shipments and employees who are always there on staff. Adding a pallet jack if necessary would probably be all that's needed. My wife moves around a pallet jack at the grocery store she works at. Really no big deal. I think the infrastructure is in place in the larger stations at least.
 #1573955  by eolesen

What do the union workrules for Amtrak allow in terms of cross utilization and lifting?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1573975  by David Benton

bostontrainguy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:03 am
eolesen wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:44 am Just because the baggage cars are there doesn't mean that they want to dedicate resources to having to handle the shipments. I've always viewed it as a manpower heavy operation that probably couldn't cover its costs.
I've been in the Boston baggage room a few times and there is plenty of room for additional shipments and employees who are always there on staff. Adding a pallet jack if necessary would probably be all that's needed. My wife moves around a pallet jack at the grocery store she works at. Really no big deal. I think the infrastructure is in place in the larger stations at least.
I don't think the shown oallet mover would lift to the height of the baggage car door, and would be very slow if it could do so . Really need a forklift.
 #1599615  by John_Perkowski

WRT FedEx and UPS: They buy whole BNSF trains LA-Chicago. TOFC. Each of those firms have pricing tiers for weight and speed.

Try shipping 3 pallets on Amtrak.
 #1599830  by RandallW

Having joined after this thread started and then gone back to it:

The announced end of services (as in no express services will be handled) is the start of a United States Government Fiscal Year (FY 2021). Does Amtrak have a choice in the matter, or was this suspension a legal requirement buried in a budget that can't be lifted until Congress changes its language?
 #1599846  by eolesen

More likely it was suspended on Oct 1 because CARES funding expired on September 30th.

Wasn't 10/1/2020 also when the reduced 3x a week LD schedule went into effect? Makes sense that Express would be discontinued if daily service no longer was guaranteed.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1599871  by JimBoylan

JimBoylan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:49 pmLong ago, Amtrak partnered with others to provide seamless pickup and delivery.
ExCon90 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:26 pmNever heard that, even on here. Did Amtrak ever advertise it? UPS and FedEx are household words -- the ones everybody thinks of for shipments of that kind.
In the late 1980s, Amtrak's large glossy brochures with rates and details of the service listed suburbs where pickup and delivery was available via 3rd parties. Doylestown, Pennsylvania was one location listed under Philadelphia. There was a footnote that Amtrak was exploring other partners and destinations. The trade press had mentioned that the Dallas, Garland and Northeastern Railroad was one of Amtrak's partners.
I was General Freight Agent for the New Hope & Ivyland RR, and thought that Doylestown, only 4 miles from Buckingham Valley on the NHIR, was too close for comfort. One of my customers, the Union Camp Paper bag mill, had complained about how long it took to get paper from Savannah, Georgia to New Hope by rail when trucks could do 55 miles per hour or better on I-95 and not have to follow ConRail's circuitous routes. I thought of a faster way. I'd read that Amtrak's baggage and new Express cars could do 105 miles per hour. Amtrak had a train (now called the Palmetto) that originated in Savannah. Let's ship full carloads of paper on Amtrak Express and NHIR will pay our other connection, South Eastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority, their tariff rate for a pilot so our locomotive could be sent to 30th St. Station in Philadelphia to grab the cars and rush them the rest of the way to the mill. There was still the problem of switching the cars from the paper factory to the passenger station in Savannah. But meanwhile, Union Camp discovered that they could make more money turning their bag mill into condominium apartments.
 #1599903  by ExCon90

They said "pickup and delivery was available via third parties." That sounds like "here's some truckers you can call to arrange for pickup and delivery at your expense." UPS and FedEx ask where they should pick it up and deliver it. On pickup of one package for one destination, I suppose a shipper might be asked to bring it to a drop-off point, but not a shipper of multiple packages at one time. I just can't see a passenger railroad setting up a workable arrangement for first-mile and last-mile handling included in the rate for the line haul and paid for by the railroad.