Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1512070  by Rockingham Racer

I find it pretty amazing that a pass is less expensive on the Downeaster than it is on the MBTA. It's no wonder that there's an overcrowding problem. If it continues after the price increase, perhaps Haverhill should be discharge only for the early morning trains.
 #1512086  by MEC407

Do they really think that a $20/month increase will solve the problem? I don't see how that's possible. $20/month is less than $1 per business day. Even if someone is dirt poor, that wouldn't be enough of an increase to make them switch to a different (read: inferior) mode of transportation.

If they increased the cost of the monthly pass by $5 per business day, that would be an additional $110 a month. That might be enough of an increase to make a few people switch back to the T. But I bet a lot of them would gladly absorb the increase and continue using the DE.
 #1512132  by gokeefe

MEC407 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:44 am Do they really think that a $20/month increase will solve the problem?
The choice they have to make is how much ridership do they risk losing vs. increased revenues. The headlines reading "Downeaster Ridership Down" simply do not explain themselves.

On the other hand "Train Overcrowded in Massachusetts" sounds like just exactly what people would expect (and to an extent even desire).

Here's the real question ... Is this actually a problem? I don't think so. Pass holders aren't guaranteed seats. If the passengers in question want improved accomodations they can readily ride the MBTA and sacrifice their time. They will always get a seat in Haverhill. If they want to have their convenience and also adequate accomodations then the only option is to buy a reserved ticket.

There is no "right" to purchase a pass and also be guaranteed a seat. That's what reservations (and their accompanying higher rates) are for. I think NNEPRA did the right thing. They right scaled their pricing and probably won't lose a single rider as a result.
 #1512309  by gokeefe

Headline: Downeaster Turning Away Passengers
PORTLAND, Maine — Every train in the country requires government subsidies. The Amtrak Downeaster is no exception.

Several of its runs are full, however, and the train is unable to add additional cars because none are available.
The article appears to have mashed some technical terms but otherwise gets the point across.
 #1512354  by jcpatten

Hux wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:46 pm Saw 681 crawling along west of the Route 9 overpass as it headed for Dover this morning. Why the snail's pace?
There was a crossing replacement project in Dover that started on Monday (I think it was Monday), so that trains were terminating at Wells and Durham and being bussed in between. The project was only supposed to take two days.

This morning on our 681, we discovered the project was not over - during digging out the crossing, someone hit the water main, so the project is still going on. For some reason for the 3 or 4 signals before Dover NB they were all showing full red, requiring the train to make a full stop and proceed at restricted speed to the next signal. Beyond Dover we resumed speed. I suspect 682 encountered the same issue, because they we had to wait for them at Plaistow. Why 680 didn't have the same problem (they were only 10 minutes late into Boston) I don't know.
 #1512357  by Dick H

PAR has much work to do to complete the Chestnut St. Crossing. The welded rail panel was connected to the existing rail with joints. I expect, that the joints will be welded in place at some point. Crossing signals at Chestnut street need to be hooked up and Central Ave signals are cut out. Paving will be completed by 12 Noon on Friday, one day late. Wednesday, #680 was supposed to run, but the project ran behind and #680 was bused between Wells and Dover. They must have left a train set at Dover Station Tuesday night. When #681 arrived Wednesday, the buses for Wells were nowhere in sight, even though they did not pick up passengers in Wells. After 25 minutes, they showed up. All in all, this crossing rebuild was a far cry from the Central Ave rebuild last fall, which lasted less than 36 hours.
 #1512397  by gokeefe

Dick,

Welding joints for crossing panels would be atypical for Pan Am. From what I've seen elsewhere they usually leave the joints in place. I would imagine this helps accommodate Maintenance of Way but I don't know it.
 #1512944  by markhb

The NNEPRA Board of Directors June meeting materials are finally posted. As always, the biggest item in the materials is the minutes of the prior meeting, which include these items:
  • The MaineDOT is hiring a consultant to evaluate the options for the Portland Transportation Center, and whether investments should be made in the existing center, or if it should be relocated based on the greatest benefits to the travelling public. The results are anticipated by Labor Day.
  • Discussions are ongoing with stakeholders in an effort to complete the safety mitigation measures required to initiate passenger service on the Rockland Branch and also finalize operating agreements. If all agreements are not settled by June 1, then it will not be possible to qualify crews and commence service in the summer of 2019.
According to the NNEPRA site, the board also approved the fare increase for 10-ride tickets and monthly passes.
 #1512953  by gokeefe

Best May ever for revenues and ridership. Very impressive continued growth, even against moderating fuel prices.

Here's the monthly ridership history in May since 2012: 39,345 ('12), 42,218 ('13), 38,720 ('14), 22,727 ('15), 38,754 ('16), 39,015 ('17), 42,755 ('18), 44,429 ('19) ...

Definitely charting new territory ...
 #1512956  by swist

I'd like to see recent OTP.

While huge delays are uncommon, it seems to me that most trains that I've been on (2x per week) seem to run at least 15 min behind, Not horrible but Could do better.
 #1512966  by Dick H

In addition to the Dover Crossing Replacement Project, PAR has been doing track and switch work in numerous locations between Plaistow and Saco, with off and on speed restrictions through most of June. These can easily add up to 15 minutes or more.