Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak California San Joaquin

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1639627  by Tadman

For some reason there is a worldwide trend to crappy seats. Ask a Brit about the IET/800 class and their seats. Be prepared for a long rant. Privatisation has seen a tripling of passenger traffic in the UK but for some reason they are now ordering trains with crummy seats. The 43-class HST has the best seats on rails in the first class cars. Huge wings on the headrests make it easy to sleep without falling on your neighbor's shoulder.

#1639688  by lensovet

The lack of cafe service is not really anything related to the cars themselves – I'm sure Siemens would be capable of building a cafe car if ordered.

That said, it's not like the existing cafe cars are anything to write home about. If anything, vending machines should provide a faster and more reliable experience, without the pretension of giving you "fresh" food when it clearly isn't.
 #1639895  by Tadman

Agree. Amtrak cafe food is something to pass the time and deal with hunger but you can usually get better food at a 7-11 or Circle K. I try to carry-on whenever I'm riding.