• All Things WMATA 7000 Series

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by MCxClive

Someone tweeted to MetroReasons that cars 7304 through 7307 were seen being tested earlier this week.
  by JDC

Chris Brown wrote:I think we have hit that magic number we have all been waiting for (7300). Car 7299 has been spotted on the yellow line. So it is safe to say car 7300 is either in service or about to be.
Metro tweeted on March 9th that car 7300 is in service. https://twitter.com/wmata/status/839945861689929730
  by MCxClive

The metro tweet from 3/9 refers to car 7299, not 7300. Remember that the first car in the fleet was 7000, not 7001.
  by Chris Brown

I have never seen car 7000 or 7001 in person. I've only seen them in pictures. I've seen car 7002 and many of the higher numbers.
  by MCxClive

I've ridden on 7000. It was on the red line a few weeks ago. First time I saw it in person, even though it'd been around for almost 2 years at that point. It might've been relegated to driver training or some special purpose for awhile.
  by srepetsk

MCxClive wrote:Someone tweeted to MetroReasons that cars 7304 through 7307 were seen being tested earlier this week.
Hi yep, that's me. We're up to the 7314-7317 quad in non-rev testing now for a total of at least 318 on property.
  by Chris Brown

The 7k's now offically outnumber every other series in the fleet. Pop a bottle of Champagne!
  by JackRussell

Meh. Not like we will ever see them on the Silver Line. This morning I saw a train with bellied 1K cars - just like always.
  by Chris Brown

I saw a 7k train in service on the silver line about a month ago. It gets them occasionally. As the numbers rise we will probably see more and more. Next year the 5k retirement starts. Once those are gone the fleet will be very close to 50/50 with about half being 7k's and the other half being legacy fleet.
  by MCxClive

I've seen 5 particular trains recently on the Red Line that were numbered as follows: 7000 through 7007, 7010 through 7017, 7020 through 7027, 7030 through 7037, and 7040 through 7047. Any idea what's going on here? Insider knowledge would be great. Is metro trying to stop mixing up rail car numbers in consists? If so, what's the plan for the 7xx8/7xx9 married pairs, which weren't present on any of these trains?
  by YOLO

slightly offtopic but does anyone have a design schematic of the 7000 series and a drawing of the metro disco logo? want to create a 3d model of the train
  by Sand Box John

"YOLO"
slightly offtopic but does anyone have a design schematic of the 7000 series and a drawing of the metro disco logo? want to create a 3d model of the train

Here is the disco ball logo I created from a frame grab from one of WMATA's propaganda video.

Here is a 3/4 rendering of a 7k car from a 3D CAD drawing I created.

I think the cab end and disco ball logo looks better in Metro brown.

The 3D CAD is based on these elevation I created from the RFP documents.

by JDC

I rode in car 7299 yesterday - I did not get a chance to see if it was couple to 7300. This was one of the trains caught up in the arcing incident at Gallery Place, so after holding us awhile after just leaving Farragut North, they reversed the train back to Farragut North and the train went out of service. The ensuing chaos prevented me from looking to see what other cars were in the consist.
  by Sand Box John

"JDC"
I rode in car 7299 yesterday - I did not get a chance to see if it was couple to 7300.

7299 mate is 7298. 7300 mate will be 7301, just like 7000 mate is 7001.