• All Things WMATA 7000 Series

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by DC Railfanner

YOLO wrote:did metro remove the announcement where it says to move to the center of the car?
Not as far as I know, but they might have done it recently.
  by DC Railfanner

I think the highest reported was #7324. If you see anything higher, post it here. This way, we can count down to #7747!
  by farecard

John_Perkowski wrote:Admin Note:

This is now the All Things WMATA 7000 series thread.
Ahem, actually
All Thinkgs WMATA
  by Chris Brown

DC Railfanner wrote:I think the highest reported was #7324. If you see anything higher, post it here. This way, we can count down to #7747!
Right now I'm counting down to #7400. Then #7500, then #7600 and so on until we get to #7747!
  by MCxClive

Highest reported was by me- 7326/7327.
  by avgeeky

DC Railfanner wrote:
YOLO wrote:did metro remove the announcement where it says to move to the center of the car?
Not as far as I know, but they might have done it recently.
No they didn't, but most operators simply toggle the manual announcement chime to skip that part right after "doors open, step back" to the "This is a ...-line train to..." to save time. Frankly, this sounds a lot better.
  by Chris Brown

Does WMATA plan to change this announcement soon? If most train operators are skipping it, that means its obviously not a good fit for Metro's needs and it should be revised.

Per usual.. NYC has it right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uli4WHzV2L8
Skip to 1:01 to hear the announcement.

Compare to WMATA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swkP4WIMh9g

As you can hear.. no need to tell people how to board the train. In NYC the announcement just says where the train is going and when the doors are closing! That's all WMATA needs. I don't know why they chose the hour long announcement they have now. Seems idiotic when you know how fast trains need to board and move on to the next stop. At rush hour there is no time for a train to sit for 20 minutes while this dumb announcement tells people how to board and were to stand. Breathtaking stupidity in my opinion.
  by smallfire85

Today I saw 7334-35 in midday layup at Alexandria and 7356-57 get delivered to Greenbelt today
  by R36 Combine Coach

Sand Box John wrote:The bart cars were more advanced then the WMATA 1k cars, the bart cars had chopper propulsion controls systems in them the 1k cars had old school cam control propulsion controls systems.
Westinghouse Cam Control as delivered on 1000 series, overhauled in 1990s with GE AC (GTO) traction (which was introduced on 4000 series).
  by Head-end View

Chris Brown, I listened to both announcements. NYC's is good and WMATA's is sort of okay too. Let's remember that NYC has 100 years of experience running subways compared to Washington's 40 years. So NYC might have their act a little more perfected. :wink:
  by Sand Box John

"R36 Combine Coach"
Westinghouse Cam Control as delivered on 1000 series, overhauled in 1990s with GE AC (GTO) traction (which was introduced on 4000 series).

I am well aware of the upgrade to AC traction done in the 1990s during their mid life rehabilitation. The response was to the comparison of the as built original bart cars to the as built original 1k cars, both products of Rohr industries.
  by YOLO

Two trains and they're making it sound like the biggest news ever. This f*cking agency...
  by Chris Brown

YOLO wrote:Two trains and they're making it sound like the biggest news ever. This f*cking agency...
Right? LOL.

Why is this news? WMATA is getting 748 of these babies. Eventually they will be a significant portion of the fleet. One would assume they will be seen on more lines more often as they rise in numbers and the older cars decline in numbers. I guess simple Math is news now.