• All Things WMATA 7000 Series

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by MCL1981

I'm totally in favor of removing them from the green line if the people around it don't like them :). More for me on the red line.
  by Chris Brown

Exactly. I'm sure the Red, Orange, Blue, and Sliver Lines will be more than happy to take them!

Green line is not built as deep under ground as the other lines. It might be the most shallow line in the system.
  by Chris Brown

Maybe back to their original pre-rehab look for historic purposes? I hope so.

I'm very happy they decided to save those cars. I was very concerned they were just going to junk all of them. I wonder if they plan to display them at a Museum in the Smithsonian or if WMATA will just keep them for their own showroom.

They should also save cars 5000-5001. Those were the first to have the new Red, White and Blue interior scheme. And down the road cars 7000-7001 should be saved too.
  by JDC

Passed a train that included cars 7223 and 22. Operating as yellow line rush plus.
  by Chris Brown

I've already seen car 7270 in service on the red line. We should be approaching car 7300 soon if its not already on the property.
  by MCxClive

I've ridden on 7283 twice this week on the red line. Based on my models, they should have up through 7303 on site by now and up through 7291 in service.
  by JDC

That's the kind of news I like. I will pop the champagne when the last 1000 series car is carted off for scrap. When the last 4k likewise is gone, I can't even imagine what I'll do because I'll be so happy.
  by Chris Brown

JDC wrote:
MCxClive wrote:I've ridden on 7283 twice this week on the red line. Based on my models, they should have up through 7303 on site by now and up through 7291 in service.
That's the kind of news I like. I will pop the champagne when the last 1000 series car is carted off for scrap. When the last 4k likewise is gone, I can't even imagine what I'll do because I'll be so happy.
Me too.

I don't even dislike the 1k and 4k cars. I just hate the mixing of different series cars in one train with a passion. Its an assault on my eyes.
  by JDC

A nice GGW piece discussing the increasing reliability of the 7000-series fleet. https://ggwash.org/view/62651/metros-70 ... heir-worth. The author has a comment in the comment section where he notes that, as of today, "296 7000s have been placed into service (37 trains). An additional 18 are on property which need to undergo or finish acceptance testing before entering service. Related, there are only approximately 92 1000s left in service (of the original 300), and ~76 4000s left (of 100 originally)." https://ggwash.org/view/62651/metros-70 ... ent_336018
  by YOLO

there's barely any 7Ks on OR/SV what's up with that? all 8 car trains for the past few months have been the older series.
  by Chris Brown

I think we have hit that magic number we have all been waiting for (7300). Car 7299 has been spotted on the yellow line. So it is safe to say car 7300 is either in service or about to be.