• All things Harrisburg (Keystone) Line

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by afiggatt

j653 wrote:It looks like the Keystone line is getting some additional funding. USDOT just announced a $40 million grant "to eliminate delays in and out of Harrisburg on Amtrak’s Keystone Corridor."
Any guesses as to what this money will cover? I thought the initial grant of $23 million was enough to fund closing the remaining grade crossings as well as signal and track work around Harrisburg.
This is not additional or totally new funding. This is the obligation of the $40 million award announced in May for the re-allocation of the Florida HSR funds. PA applied for $248 million to upgrade 5 interlocking segments on the Keystone East Corridor. The upgrades are not just the interlocking, but upgrading the tracks, catenary, power, signal systems, and for the segment west of Paoli, restoring the 3rd track.

The FRA selected to provide $40 million for the State Interlocking segment which is described as: "State Interlocking MP 105.2 to 101.4: Replace outdated components, including track structure, overhead catenary, and communications and signal system components to facilitate high speed train movements and return to a state-of-good repair. Upgrading State Interlocking will remove slow orders currently in place and save a minimum of 5 minutes in travel time." The application was for $56 million for the State Interlocking segment, so either there was a lot of reserve in the application or Amtrak and Penn DOT will be putting up some of the funding.
  by morris&essex4ever

So when is the work around Harrisburg supposed to start and finish?
  by Lackawanna565

Going to ride #644 on the 10th from Elizabethtown to NYC and take #653 back. If someone on here gets photo or video footage. Please let me know.
  by Suburban Station

while I'm no expert, last time I was out there the track did look to be in pretty poor condition. does this mean state will be tied into CETC?
  by Lackawanna565

What kind of signals are they going to use when State is rebuilt and are they are going to have C light on them? A employee told me that they are not going to use the CPL signals.
  by Suburban Station

Help is finally coming to the Parkesburg Train Station...
Some of the proposed improvements include:

•Trailblazer and standard Amtrak signs along First Avenue, Main Street and Culvert Street.

•A pedestrian bridge overpass replacing the sidewalk underpass on Culvert Street.

•An elevator adjacent to the eastbound and westbound platform areas to provide access to the pedestrian bridge.

•Pedestrian ramps to the eastbound and westbound platforms in case of a power failure to the elevator.

•Improve pedestrian accessibility by widening sidewalks, installing curb cuts and crosswalks along First Avenue, Main Street and Culvert Street
Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/loca ... z1Zjv2Pi78
  by BuddSilverliner269

Lackawanna565 wrote:What kind of signals are they going to use when State is rebuilt and are they are going to have C light on them? A employee told me that they are not going to use the CPL signals.
I doubt anyone knows until the project gets started and or finished. There is no work being done on this project now as we speak. Im sure once the work is done on State, the EB signals will have C lights since you would be entering 562 territory.
Last edited by BuddSilverliner269 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Bobinchesco

Eventually the entire Harrisburg Line will be controlled from the new control center in Wilmington DE. But, afaik the new ARINC system has not yet been commisioned. Whether Amtrak would move remote control of just the western portion of the line (PARK to STATE) to CETC while the eastern portion is still dispatched by Train Sheet with open towers is a question.

According to the last ETT I had before retiring, Rule 562 is in effect on no. 1 & 2 tracks between Rheems and State, so C lights would be appropriate, regardless if PL or some other type signal is used.
  by BuddSilverliner269

The Line from State to Park is now 562. Amtrak's goal is to redue the signalling on the entire HBG line. No one knows whether that means if it will be entire 562, but the goal is to eventaully have the line dispatched from a central place. Does this mean in Wilmington? Who knows?
  by Lackawanna565

I saw photos that were taken in cab of AEM-7 #925. The cab signal was showing restricting and had a speed of 20mph below it. I thought it would show 15 since State is a slow speed interlocking.
  by Silverliner II

Lackawanna565 wrote:I saw photos that were taken in cab of AEM-7 #925. The cab signal was showing restricting and had a speed of 20mph below it. I thought it would show 15 since State is a slow speed interlocking.
I am not qualified out there, but if the speed limit within State is 15mph, then the train would not exceed 15mph, regardless of the 20mph speed displayed on the cab signal.
  by BmSmall14

The last couple of days there has been tie replacment in State interlocking with a track gang working out near the east leg of the wye. I don't know if any of this is related to the big project or if this is just much needed maintenance.
  by BuddSilverliner269

BmSmall14 wrote:The last couple of days there has been tie replacment in State interlocking with a track gang working out near the east leg of the wye. I don't know if any of this is related to the big project or if this is just much needed maintenance.
I dont think ANY work has started on redoing of State Interlocking although that entire area of State was under water thanks to Irene and storms after Irene so I think its just some tie replacement. Dont qoute me on this though.
  by chuchubob

Train 641 arrived at Philadelphia Wednesday morning missing a cab car. To proceed to Harrisburg, train 641 reversed from 30th Street onto the NEC at ZOO, crossed the Schuylkill River, then reversed direction and proceeded to the Keystone Corridor via the New York and Pittsburgh Subway with the AEM7 pulling.
photographed departing Middletown station