Railroad Forums 

• All eight Cartier units to LAL?

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#419819  by pablo

I am guessing here, but since the 4 axles on the way are largely ready to go, I wouldn't be surprised to see them be the power of record for a while, and then one at a time, as time permits, up come the new Chia Pets.

Since Salamanca to Cuba could be handled out of Olean and not Falconer, I think you would see power from Falconer come east as well. You might see some 4 unit 4 axle lashups for a while.

Just my guess.

Dave Becker

#419824  by RS115

Perhaps this has been addressed elsewhere but I don't recall seeing it. How much traffic that WNYP has to haul itself (NS retains overhead rights I believe) is there that it will require up to 17 'new' locomotives? That's a hell of a lot of power! Even considering the ramp up getting the Susie's stuff back amongst the living and wanting some spares due to the reliability issues, that's still a lot of power that has to be maintained.

#419829  by pablo

I'll sum up from what has been said in numerous places. I usually don't do this, but there has been quite a bit that might contradict itself, and further, no one really knows what's going on. Me included.

Olean will be the new base of operations for the WNYP. A new enginehouse is to be built here, though no idea when. Or quite where (thought the facility located in Olean is the best best, of course.)

The 6 axle units are best for lugging, and not speed, and there's their use: the Buffalo Line hills. The horespower might not be needed, but the traction will likely be.

The Cartiers and the three in Lakeville currently all need a lot of work. It might be some time before they move.

The 4 axles are in much better shape, so I think LAL is getting its house in order (so to speak. They already have their stuff together) in regards to power for future traffic that may or may not come to pass.

Let's all not forget that finding Century units available anywhere is hard to do anymore. We might just be seeing some collecting going on, and don't forget that the Centuries (6 axles, that is) might be used for parts on some level.

Dave Becker

#419856  by railwatcher

So the 4 axle engines are going to Cohocton instead of Lakeville, as previously stated?

#419870  by pablo

There's about ten of these threads in a variety of places. I think there's three of them here at Railroad.net alone.

I believe that the Cartier's go to Cohocton. That should be basically in stone at this point.

While I have read that the 4 axles will be going to Cohocton (some, not every one, I guess) there's no guarantee. But it has been reported that they're going there.

Dave Becker

#419895  by railwatcher

IF anyone else is getting confused by this, I am not surprised. I hope Luther is keeping this straight on the diesel thread. Because the players are all in the same league but the teams they play on are changing!

I, for one, am pleased with all of the additions, but concerned that the repair dept. is going to be overwelmed to say the least. Currently in the Lakeville shop is #432 and #433, and soon to be 418. Oh, and don't forget 427, 428, 429 sitting by the shop. Now add, in Cohocton, 8 636's and up to four 424/5's. That's a lot of rehab.

Just changing number boards and relettering will be a full time job. Maybe I should apply.

Greg
 #420234  by Sandy Burton

Greg,

I would not be too concerned about the three C-424/5s coming from the M&E. They have been in regular service and have recently been given significant shop time at Morristown. Now the remainder of the "new" power is another question, but from reports on the net, it sounds like at least some of the NYS&W 636s could be usable upon arrival.
Also the M-630 at Cohocton appears to be ready. I think the biggest issue in the short term is getting the parts needed for 432, 433 and the Seminole Gulf C-425.

Sandy

#420327  by PVRX1

4223, 4228, and 4264 are road worthy upon delivery. I do not know what kind of shape the 550, from Florida, is in.

Kevin's crew may have their hands more full with the 6 axle exCartier units. But they are a very talented bunch.

The 327-329 C424s need alot of work and attention.

#420407  by Luther Brefo

This is in response to some of the points that have been brought up already.

As PVRX1 said, the three engines coming from the M&E are ready to run. Top off the fluids if needed, knife switch in, control switch on, fuel pump running, push the start button, when the engine cranks up and sounds like it is running, release the button. Watch the lube oil pressure gauge, listen for the compressor, wait for air, then perform a brake test, and you're on your way. This is simplified but you get the idea.

The 550 may not be as easy. Some repairs had to be made in Florida even before the engine was to be moved.

KJM and his crew will be busy, but they'll get it done. Some engines have arrived in worse shape. Looking back at photos of the 420 when it first arrived, one would never think it was the same locomotive. Same with WNYP 430. I took a little tour of the locomotive before it was completed and was amazed at the amount of stuff that was out of whack. KJM and his crew got the job done on that one as well. So while they'll be busy keeping the current engines running while simultaneously bringing the others back to life, they will get it done.

319, 320, and 321 are probably in worse condition than anything coming from the NYSW or even the 550. If you all recall, those engine required trips by KJM and Co. to fix them up simply for movement. But at least they got here and when the time is right, they too will see the same TLC that the others have.

Up to four of the 636s should be "ready to run" when they arrive at Cohocton. The other four will require more time but they too are planned to be returned to service. Yes this includes even the with the freeze damaged blocks. The LA&L shop crews have the capabilities to remove and replace components as needed.

SIXX 73, which I am still not sure about its status as per the lease, is also ready to run and has been is service on the B&H for some time now.

And here is photo proof, Courtesy of Richard S. Perry:

The 432 is awaiting some replacement truck springs that have already been order and are due any day now. 433 still needs quite a bit of work but will be ready as time is available.

418 is coming to Lakeville as we all know and will be here for "quite a while." Some say it will be going to the WNYP as a yard switcher in Olean but the man in charge of its destiny says it will be in Lakeville for "quite a while." Space has been made available for this engine in the engine house/shops by moving the 72 behind the 432. 418 will be bunker mates with 20 the West most track in the engine terminal.

The 636s are going to Cohocton. There is really no indoor/protective space at Lakeville available. The 418 will fill it to the brim. Initial conversations suggested that the 550 would be going to Lakeville but the space issue is still there. However, if 432 received the springs before the 550 gets into New York State, then it very well could be that 432 goes back out on the road and 550 takes its spot in the Lakeville shops. The most time consuming part of the 432 maintenance work has been completed as I seem to recall. The traction motors have all been rewired. The M&E engines should be headed directly to the WNYP as they are running engines.

Olean will certinly be the new center of operations. There is currently a structure at Olean Yard that is more than capable of being sufficient for the folks who currently work at Dow Street. There is currently plenty of space in Olean Yard for the motive power when they are ready to head over there. There is no "out of the elements" space for the engines yet however.

The 636s are also more for the larger, heavier trains that will need to get over the bigger climb on this newly acquired territory. New business will come as the WNYP ramps up its efforts to get more new business. The marketing department and officers are more than capable of securing customers as they have in the past.
[/img]

#420416  by pablo

One additional point: an "informed source" said that the 418 was coming to the WNYP. It wasn't speculation, since, most of us can figure out who that is. It just might take some time to happen.

Dave Becker

#420423  by Luther Brefo

pablo wrote:One additional point: an "informed source" said that the 418 was coming to the WNYP.
No doubts about that at all. I'm simply saying as you said, "It just might take some time to happen."

#420488  by railwatcher

Excellent report, Luther. Maybe some of the confusion will subside.

Thanks!

#420550  by oibu

"Hopefully LAL will have better luck with them than NYSW did!"

"Luck" has nothing to do with it... suffice it to say I fully expect their performance on WNYP to run circles around what NYS&W got out of them.

#420590  by Angus202

Luther, the 4223 & 4228 are air start units, little bit more of a pain than holding down the starter. :wink: Then again, aren't the 430's that M&E sold off to the WNY&P air starts as well?

#420591  by MEC407

Angus202 wrote:Luther, the 4223 & 4228 are air start units, little bit more of a pain than holding down the starter. :wink:
Definitely a little bit more pain on the ears. :wink: