Railroad Forums 

• Alcos Currently For Sale

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#352360  by Alcoman

2spot wrote:Its on Railswap. Ad#6686. Description: Alco RS36 for sale. Just had wheels and traction motor changed. Built 1962, 1750 HP, 26L Brake Serious Inquiries ONLY (my note shouldnt it say 2000 HP?)
As of today 1/22/07- the K&K RS-36 is still for sale. PRICE: $70,000

#352421  by pablo

John, is that a fair number? In other words, for that cost...shouldn't it be turn-key (so to speak...) and ready to go? And...is it?

Dave Becker

#352430  by MEC407

Here is a unit that is in good shape, has a current Blue Card, and is ready to roll, for $35K:

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/alcomrs1244.htm

I guess the most obvious drawbacks would be the friction bearing trucks, and the fact that it's got a 244 under the hood.

Then there is this one, which appears to be quite similar, except that its trucks have been converted to roller bearing. The price is nearly double that of the one above, though:

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/alcorsx4.htm

#352433  by pablo

I'm not sure where I got it (apologies in advance, though I think it was Alcoman) but I have been told twice that MRS-1's are a disaster to use or operate. Apparently, there are numerous electrical gremlins that pop up with them, and there are redundant systems built in (4 electrical lines where 1 would do) in case one line is shot out; remember that these were units built for a specific purpose, like being sent to Russia or China.

The 244 doesn't help either.

You will likely not see these get sold for the above reasons, even if they ran exceptionally well. Corrections are most welcome.

Dave Becker

#352441  by Alcoman

pablo wrote:John, is that a fair number? In other words, for that cost...shouldn't it be turn-key (so to speak...) and ready to go? And...is it?

Dave Becker
I hope that this RS-36 is in excellent shape and ready to run, but chances are it is not. Otherwise it is overpriced. Recently, an RS-11 was sold for half the price and all it needs is battaries....so I am told.

#352463  by BR&P

The unit does not have FRA glazing, switching step modification has not been made, two cracked cab windows, cab and engine compartment are filthy, oil pooled everywhere in the engine compartment, oil all over running boards, various other defects. Ths loco runs and is NOT junk but it would need to spend a fair amount of time in the care of knowledgable Alco folks like D-L, LA&L, or A&M to make it a legal healthy unit. If the price was in the neighborhood of $25,000 it might be worth making a more detailed inspection of it.

#352485  by pablo

Who owns it, and does anyone know why the price is so high? Is there a lien or some other such foolishness going on?

John, thanks for the story about the RS-11. I have a vague recollection of what the WNYP got some of their centuries for, and it was most definitely not 70K.

Dave Becker

#352535  by Alcoman

The RS-36 is owned by the K&K( See the E-mail I got today below) I am providing this info as a service to anyone seriously interested in purchasing it.
John
"Yes the ALCO is still for sale. The asking price is $70,000. We just replaced a set of wheels and a traction motor. It was running in regular service until Dec. 2005 when we stopped operating. If you are interested the best thing to do is set up a time to see it. You can reach me here or at [email protected]"

Teri West
Stone Consulting & Design, Inc.
324 Pennsylvania Avenue West, PO Box 306
Warren, PA 16365
Phone: 814-726-9870
Fax: 814-726-9855
Cell: 814-688-7063
[email protected]

#352655  by BrianM

I contacted them a couple of times for more detailed info on the unit to help justify the $70K price tag. They have yet to send me any info. They just keep saying about the wheel set and traction motor. A wheel set is $6K and a traction motor is $10K-$12K plus the labor to put it in but that does not justify the $70K.

Brian

#353110  by scopelliti

See this thread for LIRR RS3 #1555 that is available.

#353128  by Alcoman

You would be better off getting the 1556 that is in OPERATING condition from the RR Museum Of Long Island.

#353199  by Nova55

1556 is not in 100% operating condition.

#353246  by Alcoman

Nova55 wrote:1556 is not in 100% operating condition.
Other than FRA mandates, what's wrong with it?

#362526  by 2spot

BrianM wrote:
traingeek8223 wrote:Cape Cod RR 1058 is for sale also(S4).
I have been told from more than 1 source that this unit has some issues and that it was best to stay away.

Brian
There's an ad in Railswap that someone is parting an S-4. Ad #7135 shows a 525 main gen, AAR trucks and wheels in East Brookfield, Mass.
Is this the Cape Cod RR 1058?

#362584  by Alcoman

It does sounds like they are parting this unit out, There is a new Railswap ad selling 731 traction motors.

No one was willing to fork out $18,000 for a unit not worth $10,000.