Railroad Forums 

• Alco Locomotive Lists

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#653590  by chinarail

Hi alcoman

I need some help. I live in Hong Kong and have been trying everywhere on the web to find where I can access ALCO locomotive (works) lists. I have found the ALCO Historic Photos web pages run by the NRHS but they just do not respond to any queries sent to them via their e-mail form for enquiries.

Can you suggest where I might be able to purchase ALCO builder’s lists? The Syracuse Library web site is rather threatening ….. telling you what they don’t do and not exactly welcoming in turns of helping with research from people located far away.

My immediate target is to get more information about a small photograph which was printed in a magazine published in Shanghai in 1919. It is a 2-8-0 tender locomotive No 14 and belonging to “The Tayeh Iron Mines”. The only other detail mentioned was its weight (158,000 lbs). The picture has a hand-written “S 1068” or “S 1088” in the right-hand bottom corner. The number is not very clear due to small size of the print and the low resolution. The “S” though presumably means it was a Schenectady locomotive. Can anyone help check this out for me? Also can you suggest where I might purchase ALCO works lists (as I said earlier the NRHS does not respond even though they say lists are available on their site?)

To see this picture, copy and paste in this URL address into your browser or click on the link:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... -No.14.jpg

thanks,
 #653740  by Alcoman

Write a note to this gentleman as he has what you are looking for. Let me know the outcome. i hope this helps.
John

R H Lehmuth
104 N 2080 East Circle
St George, UT 84790