Railroad Forums 

• Aerotrain trucks

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#62379  by Rail49

:-D Hello everybody, it's nice to be back in Railroad.net!
I am kitbashing an Aerotrain model so I am looking for any information,especially photos or drawings, relevant to the trucks of this train, both for the loco and for the cars. Concerning the loco power truck I understand that while the original RI Jet Rocket had a standard Blomberg, the two Aerotrains proper has a strange truck similar to the Blomberg but without elliptical springs and side hangers.
Can anybody help?

Thank you
Gianni

#62444  by mp15ac

The Aerotrains used the two axle Flexicoil truck, with a 96" wheelbase. This truck was also optional on EMD's SW series switchers. A special 108" version was made for the New Haven FL9.

Stuart

#62917  by Rail49

:-D Thank you Stuart,
I had the same suspect about Flexicoils but I still am not 100% convinced.
Besides the technical fact that I do not see why EMD should use the 96" Flexicoil on the Aerotrain and the 108" Blomberg on the otherwise identical Jet Rocket, judging from all the photos I have been able to find there are many visible differences between the Aerotrain power truck and the standard B Flexicoil. Just to mention a few, the position of the brake cylinders is completely different, the shape and holes in the sideframes are different and the bottom sideframe is completely different too.
So my doubt still remains: was the Aerotrain truck a Flexicoil from the technical point of view but with a special configuration or was it a unique prototype designed and manufactured only for the Aerotrain?
Your comment will be very much appreciated

:wink: Gianni

#63875  by Phil Hom

Wish I knew of your question before I made a trip out to St Louis and touched the LWT1200 with my bare hands. I could have took a tape measure out to check the wheelbase.

#64051  by Rail49

Phil,

I believe that if somebody visited one of the museums where the two aerotrains are on display and would take some measurements and detail photographs, he would make a fortune! :wink:

Gianni