Railroad Forums 

• Acela Speeds

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1447857  by bostontrainguy

Tidbit from Trains:

The changes are necessary, Alstom officials say, to accommodate workers who will be building 28 new Avelia Liberty high-speed trainsets for operation on the Northeast Corridor.

The newspaper says the company is also working with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and Norfolk Southern to build a new track to accommodate testing the high-speed trainsets at up to 184 mph.

Can we get them to update a section of the Empire Route?
 #1447858  by Arlington

^ Where, physically, is the Army+NS test track supposed to be?

Link?
 #1447865  by bostontrainguy

Excerpt:

In addition to the three buildings going up in short order, Alstom and its team of engineers will have to build a test track for the trains capable of speeds of 184 miles per hour. In the past several months, the company has consulted with the Army Corps of Engineers so they can build a bridge to carry tracks across the Canisteo River. Engineers received a note this week, alleging the Army Corps. was close to an approval.

Complicating matters, Alstom also needs to seek permission from Norfolk Southern to build the test tracks on property adjacent to their rail bed.

Norfolk Southern was said to have been “very supportive”, but they have asked for additional engineering details from Alstom.

Link: http://www.eveningtribune.com/news/2017 ... n-approved" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just checking Google Earth, there doesn't seem to be much tangent ROW in the area for 184 mph running! Also there are a lot of grade crossings in the area.
 #1447899  by electricron

I suppose they could man the grade crossings with staff to safely close the grade crossing during each test.
 #1447901  by gokeefe

I am having trouble believing they really are going to test at full speed in this area.
 #1447928  by ApproachMedium

bostontrainguy wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:Forget trying to move the track centers!
Wasn't that part of the original plan though?
I dont know who kept putting that in to the sitation, but the track centers were only changed at Midway, Adams, and Delco to accommodate the replacement switch panels.
 #1447943  by bostontrainguy

So the Alstom fact sheet list the top speed at 186 mph. Testing is usually done at 5 - 10 mph higher so we are talking maybe 196 mph here. Where? Seriously in the Hornell area? This is going to be interesting.

Seriously though . . . Amtrak should ask Alstom to build a test track along the Empire Route somewhere that can actually be used for future revenue service. An additional track (or a major upgrade of a section of the existing track) should be considered. Testing is often done overnight anyway.
 #1447956  by Arlington

^ I was hoping they were thinking the long tangent stretch between Petersburg VA & Chesapeake (with Norfolk being a designated HSR market)
 #1447973  by Matt Johnson

bostontrainguy wrote:Excerpt:

In addition to the three buildings going up in short order, Alstom and its team of engineers will have to build a test track for the trains capable of speeds of 184 miles per hour.
184 is an odd figure that I assume is just a result of an incorrect conversion of 300 kph, which is actually 186.416 mph. :)
 #1447997  by Arlington

Scrolling around Google maps, there look to be a number of tangent stretches on the Erie (now NS?) Near Hornell. Must be these.
 #1448032  by Matt Johnson

Seems an odd thing to invest in given the longstanding practice of testing at the existing Pueblo, CO facility. I think Pueblo has a max of 165 mph, which may be part of the reason, but Alstom must be expecting this to be more than the one-off Acela order was, with Hornell being more than Barre, VT #2.
 #1448042  by gokeefe

Interesting issue. Looks as if part of the problem is that TTCI is configured as a loop and doesn't have sufficiently long sections of tangent track. Although it would be nice to invest this money in the Empire Corridor a test track really should be isolated in order to minimize damage to existing service in the event of a malfunction that damages the rails or trackbed.
 #1448092  by ApproachMedium

gokeefe wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:Seems an odd thing to invest in given the longstanding practice of testing at the existing Pueblo, CO facility. I think Pueblo has a max of 165 mph, which may be part of the reason, but Alstom must be expecting this to be more than the one-off Acela order was, with Hornell being more than Barre, VT #2.
Interesting issue. Looks as if part of the problem is that TTCI is configured as a loop and doesn't have sufficiently long sections of tangent track. Although it would be nice to invest this money in the Empire Corridor a test track really should be isolated in order to minimize damage to existing service in the event of a malfunction that damages the rails or trackbed.

The NS line is not the empire corridor. so them doing it there is a line with no passenger service.