• Abandoned steep grade outside of Amsterdam NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Nukengineer

It's been a while since i've been up that way, but I remember seeing a relatively steep grade leaving the main line on the east side of Amsterdam. I know it has several switchbacks on it (2 I think). One is at an old Curtis lumber. My questions are:
1. is it still in use (for who)
2. how steep is the grade (and what engine/ car limitations are on it)
3. Where did it originally go. I've seen old tracks by route 67.

I tried looking at old USGS maps, but couldnt even find the current track on any of them.
  by ChiefTroll

That line was formally known as the Amsterdam, Chuctanunda and Northern Railroad, and operationally called the Kellogs Branch by NYC. It was built and owned by the Kellog family, who were big in the carpet industry in Amsterdam. It was leased to the NYC under an agreement where the NYC operated and maintained it, and I don't think much or any money changed hands. NYC used it to serve several carpet mills and other industries. I don't have the exact figures on the grade, or its current status. I'll look in my Mohawk Division timetables later for the equipment restrictions.

It wasn't very long, and from what I can find out it was never intended for it to go beyond Amsterdam.

Gordon Davids
  by TOMT7X

CSXT still serves the Kellog Branch (theres no s) They have some customers still recieve cars such as hopper loads of talc and boxcar loads of paper products.

I believe there are only 3 customers remaining. There is a link, with photos made by Gino DiCarlo whom is a local railfan, did a good job taking the pixs.

http://naphotos.nerail.org/show/?order= ... y=gdicarlo

Hope this all helps!

Dave/TOMT7X

by pablo

I used to live in Schenectady and occasionally drove into Amsterdam on Rt. 5 there. I remember some tracks going steeply uphill to my right as I entered the barrio there. Are these the same tracks you all are discussing?

Dave Becker

by TOMT7X

Yes siriee! Thats the tracks. Very very steep. They used a caboose for a shove move to pass thru some crossing gates. But for now, I think they used a unit to make a runaround move. (either a GP40-2 or a B36-7)

TOMT7X

pablo wrote:I used to live in Schenectady and occasionally drove into Amsterdam on Rt. 5 there. I remember some tracks going steeply uphill to my right as I entered the barrio there. Are these the same tracks you all are discussing?

Dave Becker
  by ChiefTroll

NYC Time-table No. 6, October 25, 1959 shows equipment restrictions as:

"Kellogs Branch:
Cranes X-13 to X-16.
Engines Nos. 526 to 566, 1000 to 5104, 6600 to 6903."

The cranes were all 250-ton wrecking cranes, and the engine restrictions essentially prohibited cab units. The maximum gross weight for cars operated without special authority on the Mohawk Division at the time was 220,000 lbs (nominal 70 ton capacity) and there were no additional weight restrictions on the Branch.

In 1950, the restriction read:

"Kellogs Branch:
Engines heavier than U-2a, U-2b, U-2d and U-2f must not operate over the Kellogs Branch."

Those were 0-8-0's.

Both time-tables spell Kellogs with an "s." No. 6 contains some instructions for the east end of "Kellogs Yard" at Amsterdam.

Moody's Guide for 1954 shows the Amsterdam, Chunctanunda and Northern extending "about 1 mile" from the NYC main line to Jay St., Amsterdam. The AC&N owned the right-of-way, and NYCRR owned the track, aggregating about 2.71 miles including side tracks.

There were 200 shares of stock outstanding, with a par value of $100, all owned by Lauren Kellog and Elizabeth K. Swift. It paid a dividend of 14.75 in 1953.

I still don't have a profile to show the grades.

Gordon Davids

by Noel Weaver

From CSX timetable:
Kelloggs Industrial Track, MP QCG 0.0 to MP QCG 1.6, Excepted track.
Two way telemetry required on all movements tested and armed.
Maximum car weight 220,000 pounds, no six axle engines permitted.
Don't know the figures on the grade but it is steep.
I worked the Mohawk for ten years but never covered this line.
Noel Weaver

by Nukengineer

Thanks for all the info.

by traingeek8223

I heard some ware that this is the steepist adhesion railroad grade in service in the country. The tracks now end one car length past Vrooman Ave., but at one time the went all the way to the Mohasco mill in Rockton Wye( a portion of Amsterdam... you other locals know where I'm talking about). I can remember the track still in place as late as (possibly) the mid 90's.
  by ginosrailpage

Hi guys,

The Kellog's Branch was established in the late 1800's as a connection for the Kellogg and Miller Linseed Oil operation. Remains of this can be seen behind the present Dunkin Donuts on Route 67 in Amsterdam. The line was extended to the Sanford Carpet Mills, present day Noteworthy Printing.
Chartered as the Amsterdam Chuctanunda and Northern, it was always owned by the NYC and the NYC's equipment ran the branch. NYC named the line the Kellogg's Branch and for some reason, Conrail refered to it as "The Kellog's Branch." Why they dropped the last 'G', I don't know.

In 1905, a spur was built off the Branch (Originally called the Linseed Oil Branch) headed north to the Mclarey and Wallins Carpet Mills, later Mohawk Mills. A large wooden trestle was built across a ravine to reach the plant. There was a steam generating plant there as well, which facilitated another trestle, this one made of stone. Parts of the trestle are still on the property. The smoke stack, seen all over Amsterdam and as you made your way up the NYS Thruway was just knocked down this summer.

Sometime in the 1960s, a spur was built to Fiberglass Industries in the Edison Ave. Industrial Park. This is THE sole remaining customer.

The line was abandoned from the FGI spur north around 1990. Some of the last customers on the line were a paper company, COLECO toys (Former Sanford Mill) and a lumber yard just north of the FGI switch.
The trestles were removed sometime in the 1990's. There were several impressive ones. The two at Mohawk Mills, and a large wooden trestle that curved over the Chuctanunda Creek near the Forest Ave. Paper Mill.

A Conrail caboose was used to push up the branch, but after a derailment in 2004 it was moved to the CSX interchange where it has sat ever since.
Currently, 3 trips are made a week, usually Monday, Weds. and Friday. Inbound covered hoppers of sand come in and emptys go out. Any questions, please ask. I have posted some current operation photos to NARAIL Archive.

Gino DiCarlo
  by duramaxdiesel

And everybody forgets about the browning crane that sat derelict for years up there. In 1989 it was moved for one last time. Steve Myers has photos on the Nerail North American Photography Archive.
  by ginosrailpage

Yes, the Browning Crane used to sit on the trestle near the powerhouse.
I'm not sure what they used it for...

gino
duramaxdiesel wrote:And everybody forgets about the browning crane that sat derelict for years up there. In 1989 it was moved for one last time. Steve Myers has photos on the Nerail North American Photography Archive.

by RussNelson

I was looking at Gino's FJ&G pages (which covers the trolley through Amsterdam at the base of the hill) and realized that I should have linked to the historic map for this page:
http://www.rutlandtrail.org/mapview.cgi ... 3&height=2

by ginosrailpage

Where did you find that map Russ? That has the ACN going to Kellogg and Millers and the Sanford Mill. It is before the 1905 expansion to the McLarey Carpet Mills. I've never seen that map in any of the topos I have!

Gino
RussNelson wrote:I was looking at Gino's FJ&G pages (which covers the trolley through Amsterdam at the base of the hill) and realized that I should have linked to the historic map for this page:
http://www.rutlandtrail.org/mapview.cgi ... 3&height=2