• Abandoned steep grade outside of Amsterdam NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by RussNelson

That map came from the Amsterdam quad on historical.maptech.com, and was printed in 1895 (below). You can see that the route as drawn was a little crude. They didn't have the aerial photos that later maps were drawn from. I also noticed the route of the FGnJ trolley from Hagaman to Rockton. No sign of it south, though.

http://historical.maptech.com/getImage. ... g&state=NY 1895
http://historical.maptech.com/getImage. ... g&state=NY 1931
  by ExEMDLOCOTester

TOMT7X wrote:CSXT still serves the Kellog Branch (theres no s) They have some customers still recieve cars such as hopper loads of talc and boxcar loads of paper products.

I believe there are only 3 customers remaining. There is a link, with photos made by Gino DiCarlo whom is a local railfan, did a good job taking the pixs.

http://naphotos.nerail.org/show/?order= ... y=gdicarlo

Hope this all helps!

Dave/TOMT7X
The unit in the picture looks like a GP40 and Mr. Gino DiCarlo documents it as a GP38-2S. As far as I know EMD did not build a GP38 or GP38-2 with 3 cooling fans. Did an after market or RR rebuild shop use a GP40, 645 Turbo engine and replace it with a 645 Roots Blown engine, then reclassify it a GP38-2S ???

REF: "CSX local leaving FGI in Amsterdam on the Kellog's Branch.
Here CSX GP38-2S, 6237 crosses Edison ave. to head back
to CSX's Chicago Line."

by traingeek8223

The crane was aparently used as a switcher at the coal trestle behind the mills.
  by ginosrailpage

CSX has 6137, 6159 & 6237 as GP38-2s De-rated GP40-2

Gino
ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:
TOMT7X wrote:CSXT still serves the Kellog Branch (theres no s) They have some customers still recieve cars such as hopper loads of talc and boxcar loads of paper products.

I believe there are only 3 customers remaining. There is a link, with photos made by Gino DiCarlo whom is a local railfan, did a good job taking the pixs.

Hope this all helps!

Dave/TOMT7X
The unit in the picture looks like a GP40 and Mr. Gino DiCarlo documents it as a GP38-2S. As far as I know EMD did not build a GP38 or GP38-2 with 3 cooling fans. Did an after market or RR rebuild shop use a GP40, 645 Turbo engine and replace it with a 645 Roots Blown engine, then reclassify it a GP38-2S ???

to CSX's Chicago Line."
  by ginosrailpage

CSX has 6137, 6159 & 6237 as GP38-2s De-rated GP40-2

Gino
ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:

Hope this all helps!

Dave/TOMT7X

to CSX's Chicago Line."

by ginosrailpage

How do you know this? Do you have anymore info on the operations?

Gino
traingeek8223 wrote:The crane was aparently used as a switcher at the coal trestle behind the mills.

by traingeek8223

A friend of mine hired out on Penn Central and worked the branch. I asked him about it.

Unfortunatly, growing up all I remember is weed covered tracks.

by ginosrailpage

If you think of it, next time you talk to your friend, ask him some more about the banch. I have plans for a "Kellog Branch" web-page. Here is the start of it. It's a map of all the lines of the branch. The remaining section of track is from the swicthback east...

http://ginosrailpage.com/kellog/ACN_150.jpg

Enjoy!

Gino
traingeek8223 wrote:A friend of mine hired out on Penn Central and worked the branch. I asked him about it.

Unfortunatly, growing up all I remember is weed covered tracks.

by pablo

On that page, when you do it, will you provide a version of the map that shows what's left? It's a great map...thanks!

Dave Becker

by ginosrailpage

Yes Dave, I will color it to reflect changes in the line. I just wanted to post something for people unfamiliar with the line...

Gino
pablo wrote:On that page, when you do it, will you provide a version of the map that shows what's left? It's a great map...thanks!

Dave Becker
  by ExEMDLOCOTester

ginosrailpage wrote:CSX has 6137, 6159 & 6237 as GP38-2s De-rated GP40-2

Gino
ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:

Hope this all helps!

Dave/TOMT7X

to CSX's Chicago Line."
Thanks, I am learning alot about the after market world of Choo-choo's...

by BR&P

The 4th Quarter 1989 Central Headlight had an article on this line. The map with that article shows a couple more sidings (Kelly Green, J.J. Turner, and Reid-Hill Coal). There's a photo of an SW1 on one of the trestles - pretty impressive!

by ginosrailpage

Yes, the "Headlight" article is great! You can still get the back issue by going to the NYC's Historical Society Website...

Gino
BR&P wrote:The 4th Quarter 1989 Central Headlight had an article on this line. The map with that article shows a couple more sidings (Kelly Green, J.J. Turner, and Reid-Hill Coal). There's a photo of an SW1 on one of the trestles - pretty impressive!
  by jakirk

I went to Amsterdam today to photograph some of the remains of the mills and trackage and was surprised to see the Kellogg Branch out of service. There are trees down at the top of the grade and on the tracks into the industrial park, and heavy rust on the rails. Does anyone have details on the lines status?