• Abandoned steep grade outside of Amsterdam NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by RussNelson

talltim wrote:Its interesting checking it out on satellite images how much track remains in the industries. You can even trace the lines by faint gaps in the trees
The line that goes down 1St Avenue is still in place. So is the bridge and tracks over the Chuc. They're lifted (or buried so deep there is no trace, although I doubt that is the case) to Kellogg Street. They run along Kellogg Street, are lifted until halfway between James and Vrooman. The tracks are back but disused until a little bit west of Vrooman, which forms the switchback's tail track. So far as I could see, the tracks remain in service up the switchback and down into the industry. This is all from field work on December 16th of last year.
  by talltim

talltim wrote: Google don't show the date for their Streetview images,
Actually, they do seem to, I don't know if they have just started as part off their historical Streeview initiative or whether I missed it yesterday. The Streetview from this area is from Sept 2007 so pretty old.
  by BR&P

Sad to see what it has become, but all too common these days. The section of track they fixed up looks great.

It would make a nice shortline operation - if only there was some need for it. No customers = no $$$ = no future.

I always liked those little industrial branches with numerous customers. We had a couple here years ago, very short in length but serving a bunch of firms. Switches facing both directions, not much room - the switching could be a challenge! But predictably, one of the ones here has been totally gone for years, the other is out of service and will never come back. I fear the one in Amsterdam faces a similar fate.
  by bwparker1

BR&P wrote:I always liked those little industrial branches with numerous customers. We had a couple here years ago, very short in length but serving a bunch of firms. Switches facing both directions, not much room - the switching could be a challenge! But predictably, one of the ones here has been totally gone for years, the other is out of service and will never come back. I fear the one in Amsterdam faces a similar fate.
Me too BRP! Are you referring to short branches in Rochester or another location?
  by BR&P

bwparker1 wrote:Me too BRP! Are you referring to short branches in Rochester or another location?
Rochester. One was the NYC's GFR, Genesee Falls Railroad, which has been discussed on here before. Less than a mile long but an incredible number of customers with a wye, diamonds and spindly trestlework.

The other was the Old Way, off the Charlotte branch of the NYC. Not as complex as the GFR but about 8 customers in less than a mile. No runaround so the crew would go into the branch with some cars ahead and some behind, and would come out the same way.