Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#915176  by RWERN

I just realized how right you are! I really will miss those views; they are the best and I always try to get them. It's a shame rail safety and railfanning are often oil and vinegar. Of course, inasmuch as I'll miss them, I find myself walking more these days.
 #916063  by umtrr-author

Thanks for sharing, Ken. While once a dedicated "straphanger" the NYC subway rides I take these days are few and far between and are rarely near the "railfan window."

I agree that reasonable precautions for safety are paramount, but sometimes I think that the definition of safety becomes "flexible" at times, like when it's convenient for purposes of banning something that is generally safe if done reasonably and courteously...
 #918518  by keyboardkat

I don't get it. What was ever unsafe about the railfan window? And it seems that not only the NY subway, but LIRR, Metro-North and Path have all decided to eliminate the railfan window. I am, frankly, really angry about it. I think railfans are being discriminated against, and that 's not a joke. I used to take my kids on train rides on the subway, LIRR and Metro-North MU trains and they, like their father, got a real thrill out of riding "up front." Who are these people who have decided to take it away, and who asked them?
 #918519  by Head-end View

Watching that video could make me cry. I long for those old days so badly. The era is almost over. Still available regularly on the Flushing bound #7 train though. But no more fun riding on the Brighton Express over the Manhattan Bridge, thru DeKalb interlocking and out to Coney Island; or over the Smith-9th St. viaduct on the F-train. Sigh............. It's almost over on PATH, and LIRR of course, is a lost too.

I don't believe there is any deliberate intent to discriminate against railfans. I think the railroads are barely aware that we exist. They design the cabs for placement of equipment and utility for the train operator. I don't think we railfans are a part of the equation.
 #919634  by Robert Paniagua

Well, some R46, R68/A and R160/A/B/S have railfan windows but with the privacy filter which is just fine to me, and yeah I admint, some are covered with newspaper clippings or ad cards but most are open with just the privacy screen
 #919714  by Head-end View

The R-160 isn't bad outside the tunnels in bright daylight. You can see clearly looking straight thru which makes good viewing and gives the train operator some privacy. Hopefully the TA will not cover up those windows and there will still be some viewing for many years ahead. But knowing the way things have gone in recent years................... But it's no good in the tunnels where you just get that blurry picture.
 #919865  by Robert Paniagua

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Staten Island Railway has a decent frontal view through the cab door "peephole", which would satisfy most trips.

Ive done that too, and the peephole is big enough to even do some filming and taking photos!

And you're right, Ian, I do that too on the R160s and R142s
 #920120  by Head-end View

Rob, you say you can see adequately out the front on the Staten Island trains thru the "peephole"? Last time I rode several years ago, I thought I wasn't able to see at all. Maybe it's time to try another ride.
 #921685  by railfan365

keyboardkat wrote:I don't get it. What was ever unsafe about the railfan window? And it seems that not only the NY subway, but LIRR, Metro-North and Path have all decided to eliminate the railfan window. I am, frankly, really angry about it. I think railfans are being discriminated against, and that 's not a joke. I used to take my kids on train rides on the subway, LIRR and Metro-North MU trains and they, like their father, got a real thrill out of riding "up front." Who are these people who have decided to take it away, and who asked them?
There is nothing unsafe about the "railfan" window. The subway administrators decided to have full width cabs in most and eventually all cars that have a cab so that conductors won't have to change cars bwetween stops that require opening up on different sides of the train. LIRR and MNR bought cars with full width cabs for similar reasoning - so that a conductor could work the doors on either side of the train form within a given cab, and not have to lean across seats that might be occupied or go to a different car.