Railroad Forums 

• 40th Street Portal - Questions

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1627898  by AlexC

My daughter moved into an apartment near the tunnel portal, so I've been gawking at it every time I'm down there.

How do the trolleys activate the switches? Are they controlled by the trolley itself? or is there a centralized dispatching system of some kind?

Are there any scheduled runs that come out of the tunnel and loop around and go back in?

What about the other way around? Come in from an outbound station, loop around and go back out.

Any other interesting facts would be appreciated.
 #1628412  by ekt8750

BuddCar711 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:47 pm Are the LRVs still equipped with Vetags, or did they get an upgraded auto switching system?
Still Vetag which is tied into the cars' turn signals.
 #1630872  by redarrow5591

ekt8750 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:32 pm
BuddCar711 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:47 pm Are the LRVs still equipped with Vetags, or did they get an upgraded auto switching system?
Still Vetag which is tied into the cars' turn signals.
There's not as many vetag switches as one might think..... and its a independent system from the turn signals; its a system rule that any turning car must have the turn signals lit.

Here is a list of the known VETAG switches:

Tunnel East of 15th Street EB (Triggers the TWO MINUTE announcement at Juniper)
33rd Street INT WB (Was deactivated several years ago due to several operators taking the Wrong Route; now is push button)
40th Street Portal WB
49th and Baltimore EB
Woodland and Chester WB
Woodland and 49th WB
73rd and Elmwood EB & WB
All facing point switches at Elmwood
Lancaster and Girard EB & WB
Lansdowne and 63rd - WB and SB only
Haverford and 63rd WB
60th and Girard EB
 #1634420  by AlexC

My daughter reports to me that there is more than one trolley decorated for the season popping up in her neighborhood.

Who is decorating them? The shop or the drivers? Do drivers get assigned a particular numbered trolley for any duration?