• 2017 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by BostonUrbEx

It was actually just a part of Keolis' expanded Fare is Fair campaign. The new ticket check hires rounded up the customers who didn't have a ticket into the rear coach and then unhitched it from the train.
  by Backshophoss

Did they break a Knuckle? Or did a coupler pin fail? Hopefully it wasn't a drawbar failure. :( :( :(
  by MBTA3247

Article from the Boston Globe on the train separation.

If I had to guess, I'd say the coupler pin failed or wasn't seated properly and bounced out. It would be rather unusual (though I'm sure not unheard of) for a knuckle or drawbar to fail on level track, especially on the last car of a train.
  by RenegadeMonster

We seem to have invented a new station stop this morning.
Update: Rockport Line Train 104 (6:30 am from Rockport) is operating 5-15 min late between Rover Works and North Station due to a mechanical issue.
I need of a caffeine IV or listening to the Chainsmokers?
  by octr202

T alerts and Twitter reporting police on the right of way in Andover. No reasons given, but 219 being bused, 221 held at Anderson. 224 cancelled. Doesn't sound good.
  by BandA

According to the Boston Globbe, the fatality was a 17yo Philips Academy day student from Andover. It occurred near 30 or maybe 38 Andover St. Trespasser, foul-play not suspected. http://www.andovertownsman.com/news/and ... eb4e6.html adds:
...about a mile and a half north of the Ballardvale train station, was reported to Andover police at 7:24 p.m. Tuesday, after a call from MBTA Police.

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/update ... 4f808.html
This was the second time in four months that a person was struck and killed by a Haverhill-bound commuter train in this area. Brett Billings, 24, of Andover was hit by a train at the Sutton Street crossing in North Andover in May.
  by RenegadeMonster

It seems like there is a unusually high number of trespasser strikes / fatalities this year.

Very unfortunate =\
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

According to the most recent numbers, IIRC, there have been 24 fatalities on the CR system YTD '17, very high this year indeed
  by BandA

What is the problem, are pedestrian/road crossings too far apart? Thrill seekers? Suicides? People confused by new higher speeds or frequencies? Are the T trains too quiet & the sneak up on trespassers? Perhaps there is need for root-cause analysis. Deploying more police isn't the solution for pedestrian strikes in most cases.
  by RenegadeMonster

Wonder if headphones could be to blame. Everywhere I go I see people walking around with headphones on oblivious to their surroundings.

This morning the Transit Police were at Salem handing out Train Safety Goody Bags. "See Tracks? Think Train™" / "Operation Lifesaver® - Look, Listen & Live" / http://www.oli.org

The goody bag had a pamphlet on train safety and a keychain and pen with the "See Tracks? Think Train™" logos on them.
Last edited by RenegadeMonster on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by GP40MC1118

Unfortunately a lot of these incidents are suicides. Some just equally unfortunate errors in judgement (I can/gotta get across).
It's been a bad year - not much you can do about the former. Maybe better education on the latter.

D
  by RenegadeMonster

Was there another trespasser strike tonight? At the very least it's a rough night for the Lowell line.
Shuttle buses will replace Lowell Train 344 (8:45p from Lowell) between Lowell & North Billerica due to police activity on the right of way.

Lowell Update: Train 339 will terminate at North Billerica due to police activity. Shuttle bus service will be provided to Lowell Station.

Lowell Train 339 (7:25p from North Station) will terminate at North Billerica due to police activity on the right of way. Updates to follow.

Lowell Trn 342 (7:32p from Lowell) is canceled today due to police activity on the right of way. Psgrs can consider Trn 344 (8:45p inbound).

Lowell Train 337 (6:30 pm from North Station) is stopped near Lowell Station due to police activity on the right of way. Updates to follow.