• 2017 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by StefanW

Eeeek - the just-replaced Beverly drawbridge is acting up. T-Alerts says train 170 is "45-55 minutes late" and:
Newburyport/Rockport Line is expected to experience moderate delays inbound & outbound due to the malfunction of the Beverly Draw Bridge.
  by StefanW

Steve Wagner wrote:... A crew member checked: the cards had been flushed down the toilet. ...
How is it possible to find out what's been flushed down the toilet? Unless those apparently-stolen credit cards were jammed up and didn't make it to the holding tank, I can't imagine how the crew could find / see them. Is there some sort of inspection window into the tank? (I almost don't want to think about it. Yuck!)
  by Steve Wagner

Nothing high tech or particularly gross was involved. I was told that one of the crew flushed the toilet (presumably to open the "door" under the hopper), looked down as he did it and saw the cards.
  by KevinSun242

Delays on the Fitchburg again. Pedestrian strike. Sounds like it was the 427 (7:15 outbound) at West Concord, 15 year old was crossing the tracks on his bike.
  by Steve Wagner

Online news report based on police reports says it was an inbound train that wasn't scheduled to stop at West Concord.
  by RenegadeMonster

The news this morning is reporting that that 15 year old boy who as hit riding his bike across the tracks has now died :(
  by RenegadeMonster

Are we running short on engines again?

Lot's of delays and a few cancelations of short turn trains this week on the north side.
  by MetroBostonRailways

Train 823 on the Providence line broke down in Back Bay and in result of this train 825 had to push it (I was on 825).
  by RenegadeMonster

Most trains running 15 to 25 minutes behind schedule on the Eastern this morning.
  by RenegadeMonster

Landslide of delays caused by mechanical issues on the Eastern tonight.

Train 173/605 Newburyport train experienced some kind of mechanical issue tonight. When we pulled in to Chelsea station as normal they made an announcement that we are experiencing mechanical issues and hopefully be on or way shortly. A couple minutes later they made a follow up announcement that this train will be turning around. Everyone off at Chelsea. Those going from Lynn through Beverly can catch the next Rockport train, those going to Newbury port can wait for the second train.

We were only unloading for the rear door (6 car train) and it was taking for ever. They finally opened another door, but it took a good 25 minutes to unload the train. The 6:25 Rockport train had to wait a good 10 minutes for us to finish unboarding before it could pull in to Chelsea on the platform side as you can imagine was a very type squeeze.

Once stopped people were climbing the train / opening all doors and prying up the trapdoors (Insert eep Emoji we don't have).

Took a while to board everyone again. 2 Inbound train backed up in the marshes waiting for us because we were on the inbound track. We delayed them enough to delay the departure of the 6:45 Newburyport train by 20 minutes from North Station. Probably because it was one of the trains waiting for us to clear Chelsea and get to North Station to become the 6:45 train.

173 was able to turn around and head back to BET while we were boarding the 6:25 Rockport train. I wonder what type of mechanical issue would cause them to abort / cancel the train at Chelsea but be able to turn around and return to BET without issue.
  by RenegadeMonster

All kinds of action going on at Beverly today.

Please board all Newburyport/Rockport Line Trains on the inbound platform at Beverly until further notice.
Rockport Line Train 104 (6:30am inbound) is expected to operate 5-15 minutes late between Beverly and N Station due to a trespasser incident
Newburyport Train 156 (7am inbound) is stopped near Ipswich & is 5-15 minutes late due to train traffic & a trespasser incident near Beverly
New/Rock Train 192 (8:33am inbound) is expected to operate 10-20 minutes late between Beverly and N Station due to a medical emergency.
The Beverly parking garage walkway is closed due to a medical emergency.
Please board all Newburyport/Rockport Line Trains on the inbound platform at Beverly until further notice.
  by sonicdoommario

Providence train 833 (8:30PM outbound) broke down outside Hyde Park last night. Train 834 (7:45PM inbound) was cancelled at Hyde Park so it could get behind 833 and push it down to Providence. 834 turns to 837 (10:00PM outbound) when getting to South Station). 833 turns to 838 (10:30PM inbound, final inbound of the day), so the final inbound was over an hour late, heard it rumbling by at midnight where I live.

In addition, it was the first time I saw a double draft. I think 833 was a 4 double/2 single combo while 837 was its usual 8 double set.