• 2017 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by deathtopumpkins

Unspecified problem at Tower 1 is what I've heard through the grapevine.
  by RenegadeMonster

There must be signal issues on the Eastern this morning.

My express train in this morning from Salem took an additional half hour to get to North station due to what must have been speed restrictions and stopping at every signal.
  by Steve Wagner

I rode the first inbound train from Concord, MA, this morning (Friday, August 4). It was on time or nearly so. Between Waverley and Belmont, I think, one of the crew made an announcement over the PA system: the drawbridge to North Station was stuck in the up position, and the train wouldn't be going beyond Porter Square for a long time. The dispatcher said everyone should get off and use the Red Line subway from there to get into Boston. I was getting off at Porter anyway and didn't stay at the station to observe further developments.

It would be interested to know how this is handled. The first train could be sent farther on to clear space for other inbound trains to unload. Probably three or more trains could fit between Porter and the drawbridge. BUT, outbound ridership during rush hour, though not nearly as heavy as inbound, isn't insignificant. Fortunately, private schools in Weston and Concord to which many students commute from Porter probably aren't in session.

P.S. The "time stamps" on messages on this forum must still be in Eastern Standard Time. I posted the above just a minute or two ago, and it's now 6:55 a.m., EDT.
Last edited by Steve Wagner on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by jaymac

As of 0650 look at Service Alerts, there's major trouble at Tower A/draws. At least for a bit, IB 200s are detraining at Malden and IB 400s at Porter for rapid transit completion. Dunno about IB 100s and 300s, tho 301 was listed as 15-25 late outta BON cuzza "bridge strike." Fitchburg Dispatcher advised 400 of Porter detraining at 0609. As of 0640, didn't hear if 410 would start at Porter.
  by KevinSun242

Massive delays on Fitchburg line. Injured conductor, sounds like he hit his leg on the platform while the train was in motion.
  by RenegadeMonster

KevinSun242 wrote:Massive delays on Fitchburg line. Injured conductor, sounds like he hit his leg on the platform while the train was in motion.
From the local news it sounds like he fell off the train while it was moving :(
  by KevinSun242

Additional reports are saying 20 year old, fell out while the train was in motion, serious injury but expected to be ok.
  by TomNelligan

Since the messages above omit the location of the accident, I'll add that it was at Brandeis/Roberts station, involving inbound train #420.
  by KevinSun242

406 broke down this morning... Keolis responded by cancelling 408 as well... now everyone has to take 492 and 410, which are also late. Some very questionable logic at work here.
  by RenegadeMonster

Several delays leaving North Station tonight.

No text alerts, no information given.

Anyone know why a lot of Trains were delayed 10 mins tonight?
  by Steve Wagner

When I got to Concord depot about 6:25 this morning (Friday, August 11) to catch the second inbound train, scheduled to leave at 6:36, the electronic sign said it would be there in 19 minutes. Later it added that the delay was due to "police activity at Fitchburg".

When I got on I asked a friend who'd boarded at Wachusett if she knew what that had been. She did. A man had accompanied his girlfriend to the Fitchburg station and helped her get on. He realized he'd left his cell phone on the bench where they'd been sitting. It was gone. He got on the train. Passengers had already alerted at least one crew member that they'd seen a woman pick up the phone and put it in her bag. The crew called police, who were close by. The woman returned the phone. The man and police asked about the credit cards that had been with the phone (apparently in some kind of case). She said they could search her. The police took her off the train. Passengers then told the crew they'd seen the woman visit the restroom more than once. A crew member checked: the cards had been flushed down the toilet. He radioed the police.

Sometimes fellow passengers and the crew can be very helpful! That's encouraging.
  by KevinSun242

Restores a bit of faith in humanity for me on this line. I had a lady steal my umbrella at South Acton because it was raining. Turned my back for no more than 5 seconds to throw a jacket on.
  by RenegadeMonster

Yesterday a passenger on the 7:13am Express train out of Salem, who sat in one of the seats platform level across from the bathroom on the double decker downed 3 bud lights on the way to North Station. He left 3 empty glass bottles on the floor.
  by CRail

There's no rule against drinking sparkling water on the train. :P
  by KevinSun242

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/08/11/m ... ald-david/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Update on train 420 incident. It's sad to see things like this happen; when you ride the same line every day you end up recognizing and getting to know all the conductors by name and train :(

On a separate note, a GoFundMe for him has already raised over $21,000.