Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#874408  by ElliotCourtney

Well folks its that time again. The TA is running a consist of R1-9 cars from Queens Plaza to 2nd ave every sunday from Thanksgiving to Christmas. The train runns at 10am until 5pm. What I would like to know is the first run of the day where does it start from?
 #874422  by Allan

if it is anything like last year the first run will be at 10 AM from 2nd Av.
 #875085  by chuchubob

same route as last year
depart 2nd Ave 10:01, 11:31, 13:01, 14:30, 16:01
depart Queens Plaza 10:44, 12:14, 13:43, and 15:14
 #879725  by ElliotCourtney

Is there any posilility of the train being canceled because of the possible rain? And what is the Chance if it does? And where and when would it be announced?Thanks
 #879890  by Kamen Rider

the train is running in a tunnel...

It only gets stopped when a cold weather plan is in effect that stops all GOs (since the train runs under a GO) when "Snow Bird" layups are required, which means all tracks need to be avilabe.
 #880790  by Otto Vondrak

ElliotCourtney wrote:Is there any posilility of the train being canceled because of the possible rain? And what is the Chance if it does? And where and when would it be announced?Thanks
Rain? In the subway? You're from out of town, aren't you? :-D
 #880900  by jbn7474

HI all, I was fortunate enough to catch the holiday train when I came into the city for some subway adventures. I got the last train at 4 out of 2nd ave. I was in the last car and got to see out the back window as we ventured in the tunnels. The cars seemed in excellent shape and rode well. Love the roar of the engines and it was better than the new cars they have running now in my opinion. I am from the Boston area and I am so impressed with NY's subway system only wished my city would of follwed suit with 4 track operations and elevated lines. I have some pics that I want to share, but this site wont let me add them cause they are bigger than 400k in size.
 #884253  by Tadman

Quite fun, our CTA holiday train is made of modern cars with a flat in between. It would be good fun if the pair of 4000's were used - very in the spirit, like your R1/9.
 #884423  by ElliotCourtney

hahahaha thats a good one otto...Im a Long Island kid..I showed up last year on the one sunday that is was annulled by snow so I wanted to check if a cloud in the sky would postpone it.....I noteced that in the trains wake there was a heavy layer of smoke, is this beacuse of the friction beraings on the cars or are the traction motor packing going?