Railroad Forums 

• 2 footer in Brewster, MA?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#209048  by BayColony1706

Hi all,
some years ago I found out that there is/ was a 2 foot gauge Steam locomotive in a barn in Brewster, MA. Living in Dennis, this has puzzled me. When I was a volunteer at Edaville, No one there knew anything about it. No one at my model railroad club knew anything either. Does anyone have any knowledge of this mystery loco?
 #209073  by BayColony1706

I have dug up more info on this locomotive.. Its a Porter 0-4-0T formerly Raritan Copper No. 8. Now i am not sure this is a 2 foot guage loco.. it is only listed as NG (narrow gauage.) So now i am led to believe that its a 3 foot guage engine, as that was the most common gauge for small industrial lines in the US. Also, It is rumored to be either in Brewster or Bridgewater, depending on who you talk to.. I'd like to get to the bottom of this loco caper.

#209085  by Cosmo

In the words of Artie Johnston: "Veeeeerrrrrryyyyy iiiiiiinnnnteeeerrreeestingggggg...."!
I must say I am intrigued.
Although I cannot place the finger of certainty on this story, it resonates with a "familiar ring." At first I thought this might be the Henschel 0-4-0t that used to be up in NH somewhere, and I belive is currently at Edaville. Now I'm REEEEEAAAALLLY curious!
It's possible this loco is 30" ga. or something as eaqually wacky. The WW&F (former Edaville) #10 was also 30". There is a website for a group in NJ that has some surviving NG locos of either 30" or some other really oddball guage (yeah- like 2" isn't oddball enough, like I should talk?- HARR!). If I can ever find the link again I'll post it, but I belive I found it under "LINKS" on one or the other 2'er museum websites.
I'll see what I can find on my own and let y'all know, meantime Good Hunting!
Cosmo