Railroad Forums 

• 14 More ticket offices to close.

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1636947  by ryan92084

The 14 Regional Rail stations losing their ticket offices are: St. Martins, Oreland, Clifton, North Hills, Roslyn, Chelten, Chestnut Hill East, Mount Airy, Cheltenham, East Falls, Carpenter, Melrose Park, Wallingford, and Morton. The last day for in-person ticket sales at these stations is Feb. 2.

Conshohocken’s ticket office closed on Nov. 23.
https://www.inquirer.com/transportation ... 40118.html

Extra rough on the customers that they are doing it in the winter. Several of these were short on sales but packed full in the cold.
 #1636959  by JeffK

ryan92084 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:27 am Extra rough on the customers that they are doing it in the winter. Several of these were short on sales but packed full in the cold.
Plus it's being done before e-payments will be implemented for RRD customers ... but of course it means more on-board penalties to bolster the bottom line. 😡😡
Last edited by JeffK on Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1636982  by MACTRAXX

Ryan and Jeff - The 14 February 2, 2024 station closings by RRD line are (as they should have been listed) -
Chestnut Hill East Line: Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill East (2)
Chestnut Hill West Line: Chelten Av, Carpenter, St. Martins (3)
Fox Chase Line: Cheltenham (1)
Lansdale/Doylestown Line: North Hills, Oreland (2)
Manayunk/Norristown Line: East Falls (1)
Media/Wawa Line: Clifton, Morton, Wallingford (3)
(RDG Trunk) Glenside Combined: Melrose Park (1)
Warminster Line: Roslyn (1)

From reviewing this list of closings by branch it seems that there are reasonable alternatives for each:
Example: Open ticket offices at Glenside and Fort Washington are available for North Hills and Oreland...

Chestnut Hill East is the only line terminal station on this list - closing because CHW is nearby?
The CHE vintage RDG station building is one of the nicest stone buildings architecturally on RRD...
www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4893013
Built 1931 during RDG electrification - rectangle blocks read "CHESTNUT HILL STATION READING COMPANY"

Melrose Park and Cheltenham are relatively new ticket offices open along with high-level platform
projects - a nearby ticket office is available at Elkins Park for Melrose Park riders...

Will SEPTA install automatic locks and surveillance cameras to allow passengers to keep using the
waiting room facilities during designated hours or will these also be permanently closed at all times?
As example this is what the LIRR does at stations with waiting rooms and TVMs without ticket offices...

Will there be more "rounds" of RRD station ticket office closings coming up over 2024? MACTRAXX
 #1637002  by CNJGeep

I have been reliably informed that CHE is closing with the retirement of the agent. There are a few more which are in a similar predicament but I'm not as sure with regards to which ones.
 #1637162  by ryan92084

With regards to automatic locks SEPTA did install a way to tap into many of the offices years ago using key cards but I don't believe the system was ever activated at any location. No real surveillance beyond motion activated lights at these previously manned locations afaik. I know the Wawa station has the locks on a timer but I haven't been there since opening to see how that is going.
 #1637214  by R36 Combine Coach

CNJGeep wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:24 pm I have been reliably informed that CHE is closing with the retirement of the agent.
I know SEPTA station agents are not agency employees, but under contract with the Edens Corporation.