Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1435258  by cam36

Hi all,

I know with the LIRR's mitigation plan they announced longer trains– I assumed this meant if a train normally runs 8-10 cars, it would run with 12. However, when I was passing through Jamaica, I noticed the train markers (not sure of the correct term, but the signs that tell the Engineer where to stop for a given train length) looked new– specifically one that read "14 Units".

Would they run trains with 14 cars? Has this ever been done before?

Thanks!
 #1435259  by inthebag

It's for 2 DMs and 12 C3 coaches. No 14 car EMU sets.
 #1435269  by Amtrak7

cam36 wrote:Hi all,

I know with the LIRR's mitigation plan they announced longer trains– I assumed this meant if a train normally runs 8-10 cars, it would run with 12. However, when I was passing through Jamaica, I noticed the train markers (not sure of the correct term, but the signs that tell the Engineer where to stop for a given train length) looked new– specifically one that read "14 Units".

Would they run trains with 14 cars? Has this ever been done before?

Thanks!
On the eastbound side they're for the Cannonball in the event he needs to make a Jamaica stop. They used to explicitly say #2798 on them, but they may be trying to standardize markers. On the westbound side, 12 car diesel sets regularly run on some summer Sundays, especially the 3 big weekends.
 #1435296  by cam36

Thanks for the responses!

Is there a reason they'd run a 14 car diesel and not an MU? I'd imagine because the engine at front and back wouldn't platform, leaving the middle 12 cars to open up.
 #1435309  by FrankAndCindy

Hi, I think they don't run more than 12 mu cars is a third rail problem. I think it may blow some fuses. Thank you Frank And Cindy
 #1435349  by geico

EM2000 wrote:Engines are not cars..
But cars are engines (FRA considers an MU to be an engine)
 #1435439  by BuddR32

geico wrote:
EM2000 wrote:Engines are not cars..
But cars are engines (FRA considers an MU to be an engine)
Electric Multiple Unit cars are Locomotives, not engines. Please don't take this as splitting hairs, but that's what it is.