Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1636047  by Jeff Smith

Collision with out-of-service train: APNews
New York City subway train derails in collision with another train, injuring more than 20 people

NEW YORK (AP) — A New York City subway train derailed Thursday after colliding with another train at low speed, leaving more than 20 people with minor injuries and causing major service disruptions across Manhattan during the afternoon rush hour, authorities said.

At about 3 p.m. on the Upper West Side, a 1 train carrying about 300 passengers and an out-of-service Metropolitan Transportation Authority train with four workers on board hit each other near the 96th Street station, police and transit officials said at the scene. A “derailment” is when at least one wheel of a train leaves the track.

Photos posted on social media by city emergency management officials showed the passenger train partially off the tracks in an area that had a track-switching mechanism. Officials said there were no immediate signs of equipment failure and investigators were seeing if human error was involved.
 #1636069  by Gilbert B Norman

To my knowledge, the NYCTA trains did not require to be PTC equipped. Something tells me the operator of the following (the hitting) train in for "a bit of the world of hurt".

This contrasts with the similar CTA Skokie Swift November incident where the operator appears to be "off the hook".
 #1636070  by Jeff Smith

Follow-up: APNews
Feds to investigate entire New York City subway system after derailment injures more than 20 people

NEW YORK (AP) — Federal transit safety investigators will be reviewing all of New York City’s subway operations in response to a collision and derailment that caused minor injuries to more than 20 people, the chairperson of the National Transportation Safety Board said Friday.

Chair Jennifer Homendy said the NTSB had concerns because Thursday’s collision between two trains was the second serious subway episode in Manhattan in just over a month. On Nov. 29, a subway worker for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority was dragged under a train and killed while working as a rail safety flagger.

“This is the second accident on New York City transit’s property in 37 days. That’s not typical,” Homendy said at a news conference at the 96th Street station, where Thursday’s collision happened. “The NTSB has been very focused on system safety ... so coming here we are going to want to look at the entire system, including how it is managed and supervised.”
 #1636071  by Jeff Smith

Train removed: ABC7NY
Derailed No. 1 train repaired and removed from tracks at 96th Street

UPPER WEST SIDE, Manhattan (WABC) -- The train that derailed on the Nos. 1, 2 and 3 lines at 96th Street Thursday has been repaired and removed from the tracks, the MTA announced Saturday morning.

Now that the train has been moved, the MTA is will inspect the tracks and infrastructure to determine what repairs are needed.
 #1636074  by STrRedWolf

I've heard through the grapevine (although early reports from MTA also said that) that the first train was stopped due to kids pulling the emergency stop, and then a 1 train rammed into them and derailed. I hope they got video inside both trains.
 #1636076  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Wolf, I trust The New York Times rises above "the grapevine" as a newssource:

Fair Use:
The incident began when a No. 1 train stalled at 79th St. because vandals activated its brakes, M.T.A. officials said. The train went out of service and was slowly making its way uptown, and it was passing 96th Street when the train carrying 300 passengers was switching back to a local track in front of it. The train with passengers on it had been given the all-clear to proceed, officials said.

At a news conference on Thursday at the station, Richard Davey, the president of New York City Transit, the M.T.A. division that operates the subway, said that the train that had been vandalized had many of its emergency brake cords pulled. The M.T.A. has opened an investigation into the cause of the accident, according to a spokesman for the authority.
As such, I consider your supposition to be confirmed.
 #1636092  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:54 pm Mr. Wolf, I trust The New York Times rises above "the grapevine" as a newssource:

Fair Use:
The incident began when a No. 1 train stalled at 79th St. because vandals activated its brakes, M.T.A. officials said. The train went out of service and was slowly making its way uptown, and it was passing 96th Street when the train carrying 300 passengers was switching back to a local track in front of it. The train with passengers on it had been given the all-clear to proceed, officials said.

At a news conference on Thursday at the station, Richard Davey, the president of New York City Transit, the M.T.A. division that operates the subway, said that the train that had been vandalized had many of its emergency brake cords pulled. The M.T.A. has opened an investigation into the cause of the accident, according to a spokesman for the authority.
As such, I consider your supposition to be confirmed.
Good to hear. I initially heard through some Telegram channels and I think I remembered the MTA status page saying that... but glad there's verification.

That said, have some Times Square-42nd Street terminal action from the DJ Hammers Trains Youtube channel. Just got posted.
 #1636103  by electricron

Why the train was running slowly or had an unplanned stopped does not explain how two trains ended up on the same track at the same time.
 #1636104  by west point

My understanding is that revenue train was on a CP switching back to the track it needed to be on. The unpowered part of the empty train was pushed into the revenue train at the cross over.
 #1636133  by videobruce

Is this the track layout for the 96th St Station?
https://images.cf.nycsubway.org/images/ ... l-96th.png

If so, what are those tracks at 103rd St. and does anyone have any idea where the trains were based on the sketchy info ??
 #1636135  by RandallW

I think that layout is correct. It depicts the track work that allows the 2 and 3 lines to dive under 103rd station and head east under 104th St towards 7th Ave. North of 96th St, the Broadway line (used by the 1 trains) is 3 tracks. There used to be peak direction express services on the center track, but that hasn't been for decades. Black indicates trackage not normally used in revenue service. Under normal conditions the 1 train runs local on the outside tracks through 96th St and the 2 and 3 trains run express on the inside tracks.

I don't know where the trains were at the time of the accident.
 #1636143  by Ken W2KB

[NTSB] Chair Jennifer Homendy said an out-of-service train with a few MTA workers aboard struck another train carrying about 300 passengers at a rail switch, causing both trains to derail. . . . . Earlier in the day, NYC Transit President Richard Davey said the passenger train had the green light to proceed Thursday but the disabled train did not. “As a result, it bumped into the train,” he said. “Why, we don’t know, that’s still under investigation.” https://vinnews.com/2024/01/07/feds-to- ... 20-people/
 #1636153  by STrRedWolf

Ken W2KB wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:56 pm [NTSB] Chair Jennifer Homendy said an out-of-service train with a few MTA workers aboard struck another train carrying about 300 passengers at a rail switch, causing both trains to derail. . . . . Earlier in the day, NYC Transit President Richard Davey said the passenger train had the green light to proceed Thursday but the disabled train did not. “As a result, it bumped into the train,” he said. “Why, we don’t know, that’s still under investigation.” https://vinnews.com/2024/01/07/feds-to- ... 20-people/
Prediction on the NTSB report a year-and-change later: Get rid of your signaling system and INSTALL CBTC EVERYWHERE NOW!
 #1636160  by west point

[/quote]
Prediction on the NTSB report a year-and-change later: Get rid of your signaling system and INSTALL CBTC EVERYWHERE NOW!
[/quote]

Not sure but the dead front that hit the passenger train would not have been able to have CBTC operative.