• You Might Be A Railfan If...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CNJGeep

You may be a railfan, and somewhat insane, if...
The term "Comet Five" is appealing.
EPIC brake is the "best thing since sliced bread" (very insane)

by steemtrayn

pgengler wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:If you put a coupler on the back of your car and found out how to connect and operate multiple cars behind you, you just might be a railfan, and a tad bit insane too.
That sounds like something I might have to try, now that the idea's gotten into my head!
Don't laugh...

http://grandscalerailroadsignals.com/ca ... d0578bc7b4

by nick11a

You might be a railfan if you think that the handicapped platforms are elevated railfan viewing and enjoyment platforms.
  by henry6

steemtrayn wrote:
pgengler wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:If you put a coupler on the back of your car and found out how to connect and operate multiple cars behind you, you just might be a railfan, and a tad bit insane too.
That sounds like something I might have to try, now that the idea's gotten into my head!
Don't laugh...

Bumper sticker to go with it: MY OTHER CAR IS A SD70M!

by Jtgshu

Nick, your comment just popped something in my mind, and its a head's up -

Wanna know a way to really tick off the train crew???? stand on the Mini high in Red Bank (or other wheelchair elevated ramps - mini highs) taking pictures - the crew will panic and try to quickly spot the train for wheelchair loading, adn then when we see just a camera and no wheelchair - well, lets just say, don't do that. :-D

by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:Nick, your comment just popped something in my mind, and its a head's up -

Wanna know a way to really tick off the train crew???? stand on the Mini high in Red Bank (or other wheelchair elevated ramps - mini highs) taking pictures - the crew will panic and try to quickly spot the train for wheelchair loading, adn then when we see just a camera and no wheelchair - well, lets just say, don't do that. :-D
Hahaha. Yes, I know Jt. I'm VERY aware of that. Hell, it takes so darn long sometimes to spot a train (ESPECIALLY a ten car set) with those high level platforms. I remember in Red Bank last year it took a few minutes just to get it right with a certain crew on a ten car set.

But, in Red Bank for example, I sometimes see a grandfather and grandkid on the mini-high platforms watching trains. The engineers seem to be able to discern though whether or not that person is handicapped or not and intends to board.

by njt4172

nick11a wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:Nick, your comment just popped something in my mind, and its a head's up -

Hahaha. Yes, I know Jt. I'm VERY aware of that. Hell, it takes so darn long sometimes to spot a train (ESPECIALLY a ten car set) with those high level platforms. I remember in Red Bank last year it took a few minutes just to get it right with a certain crew on a ten car set.

But, in Red Bank for example, I sometimes see a grandfather and grandkid on the mini-high platforms watching trains. The engineers seem to be able to discern though whether or not that person is handicapped or not and intends to board.

Hahaha, Funny story, I was taking pictures of a westbound Boonton line train from the mini high level platform at Denville and just as the engine went by me he dumped the brakes....I got in my car and left really quickly cause I didn't want to be responsible...It may have been cause I was standing up there or it may have been something totally unrelated...I didn't stick around to see..... Those platforms do give you some good photo ops.....
:-D
Steve

by trainfreak

I agree on that platform at Denville Steve. You can get a good shot of westbounds coming around the bend there.

by E-44

[quote="steemtrayn"][/quote]

Don't laugh...

I have got to get one of those!! :-D

by CNJGeep

You may be a railfan if...
you drool over the color of the seats in the Comet VIs

by ANDY117

If your answering machine sounds like one of the CR Defect detectors, you might be a railfan.

If you are going to model the ENTIRE southern tier line from Waverly to Binghamton NY, you night be a railfan.

If you consider a good time a lawn chair, a Yoo-Hoo, and a pizza trackside, you might be comfortable.

by sullivan1985

ANDY117 wrote:If your answering machine sounds like one of the CR Defect detectors, you might be a railfan.
IM--NOT--HOME--PLEASE--LEAVE--MESSAGE. NO--DEFECTS. MILEPOST--555-5555.

Help me... :-P

by ANDY117

Im sure they have medication for that! :-D

by alewifebp

You might be a railfan if:
You overhear a simple question such as "does this train go to NY" and start butting in, immediately giving about 5 million choices that the obviously confused person is simply not understanding.

by Njt4300

You might be a railfan if you model the Whole ACL from AC to Philadelphia.

You might be a railfan if your room it decorated like the cab of a C-IV

You might be a railfan if you dress your dog up like an engineer.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/374 ... 0829pwLafe