• Woman Struck And Killed by LIRR Train - 4/26

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by mp15ac

The title of this thread should read "Homeless woman goes around crossing gates and gets hit and killed by train." The train didn't deliberately strike her. She put herself in harms way.

Stuart

by Lirr168

mp15ac wrote:The train didn't deliberately strike her. She put herself in harms way.
As is the case in most "accidents." The vast majority of train/pedestrian and train/vehicle accidents are the result of people acting stupidly: ducking under the gates, stopping on the tracks, or even walking on the tracks. And lets not forget suicide attempts, even these are usually printed in the papers as "Train Strikes Man."

by thrdkilr

speaking of women being struck by trains, as anyone ever see the video of the women who was at a CNW station, she had just got off a train (lets say the train was going north), the engine of the train she got off of was stopped just short of a grade crossing, she got off the train went north, crossed in front of the engine of her stopped train, looked to the north to check for trains coming in the opposite direction (it was a 2 track main line), seeing none, she proceeded to cross the other track, and wham, a train going in the same direction as her's (going at least 60 mph) appears in the picture, the video stops here, at a split second from the other train hitting her. It is the most frighting thing I've ever seen, even though it does not show the train hitting her. It looked to take place in the 60's? Does any one know where theres a copy of this video, and whether it shows the train hitting her? Thanks... Latitude please Otto....

by Long Island 7285

I have that clip some where, it might be on a disk or my other PC. if i didnt loose it when i F-disked my PC due to HD problems.

That film was nuts. the train in it was a BN passenger train, and it had the white stripes on the front of it, and it cuts out miliseconds on the impact. i guess its to grusom to have shown, she must have exploded upon impact. that man behind her almost got hit also. but he saw it and stoped just in time.

that is one hell of a film, but i think it should be shown in school to show the reality of it to the kids who think playing chicken is a joke.

re

by Jeffrey Rosen

I have it in my computer and it shows her getting hit and being flung back towards the platform where it abruptly ends. Although I saved it to my computer I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that I saved it from the internet so it's probably out there somewhere in cyberspace.
  by Clemuel

Traingirl's a little rough and will stay with you for awhile if you watch it....

Just warning you. She's no little girl, but rather a businesswoman in a hurry. This link should work.

http://cencalrails.railfan.net/traingirl.mpg

Clem
  by Head-end View

Yeah.................that's a very sobering video. Maybe it really should be used for public education, just to make the point. After watching it several times you can see that she deliberately tried to beat the express train. Shame on her. According to info I heard long ago, this happened in the western suburbs of Chicago on the Burlington Northern 3 track line. The town may have been Downers Grove, I'm not sure about that. The story I heard was that she was flung right into the camera man seriously injuring him as well, if I remember right. :(

by John 61

Seems that the LIRR MTA website has a new crossing protection video of it's own. I have a feeling this really didn't happen. Probably some computer tricks here. It proves a point. http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/lirr/safety/

by Long Island 7285

that answers why the video ends so abruptly.

That is a CLEAR example of the average "rushers" commonsence. and im shure if she did not die, and if she did, BN probly got a nice law suite on there hands. when really she was totaly wrong, and so was that man who's walking next to her and luckly excaped it him self, if the videographer presented this film in court, I can almost garentee that BN walked away with out paying a penny in damages to that family.

this is footage that 9/10 times is usally taken by a "yes" "railfan" no police dept. or security videos on that footage. so gog for bid somthing like this happenes on LI witch its going to happen sooner or later. (mineola) as and example. and no railfans ther to catch this on his handy cam, i guess the LIRR will be raising the fares again, because they'll be paying millions to the family. and if its my camera that catches this act, i will present it to authorities only with
1) the right to railfan and not EVER get hassled again.
2) 1 months FREE ride pass all zone.
that request will literly cost them NOTHING but save them millions in lawsuites.

so lesson learned, railfans,law enforcement, RR employees keep this in mind. as a team we can all acomplishment somthing.

by Lirr168

I just saw the video for the first time (thanks for the link Clem). Even on the video, that train is friggin loud! How could you not hear it?! Complete and utter stupidity; anyone that dumb is doing the world a favor by running in front of a train.

by Clemuel

Ah, 7285,

Life has yet to teach you some things. One of them is that the Railroad ALWAYS pays in the event of a fatality or maiming of a trespasser. Just the way the law is... If the train wasn't there, TrainGirl, Drunk, Druggie, Pothead or whomever would still be with us.

The courts feel it's the railroad's fault for being there. They are responsible. I am sure that Traingirl's next of kin was paid hansomely by Burlington. And you can bet that the film was entered into evidence to show the pain, suffering and grusome death instilled upon Traingirl.

I'm hauled into court several times a year over these things and the Railroad always pays -- usually settles out of court.

Thats life. Work to change things like this and we'll all have a better country.

Clem

by thrdkilr

Thank you Clem. Very gruesome, but not one I saw. Its a very similar. The one I saw, the engine was the same, but stopped right at the road, the photographer was much closer. The lady was not running, she walked at a fast clip, she was 3 or 4 feet in front of the engine, she glanced to the right and as she took her next step, the engine appears and the video stops....Yours definitely gets the point accross however....

by emfinite

Ian,

That was Downer's Grove.

Joe