• Why did Panama REDUCE 5' to 4'8.5"?

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by David Benton

We were discussing the Blue signal lights the original poster saw in Panama . Please read the whole thread , though parts of it seem to have gone missing .
  by johnthefireman

There was a question about blue signals in the original post ("They have dwarf signals with BLUE color. What does blue mean?"). There had already been one response on the meaning of blue/purple signals in New Zealand and I just thought the original poster might be interested to know their meaning elsewhere in the world.
  by Arborwayfan

The KCS operation on hte Panama Railway uses (or used the last time I checked) ex Amtrak F40 locomotives, and probably other rolling stock imported from the US. They use the F40s' head end power supply to power refrigeration equipment on containers, which I guess is how containers are cooled on ships, too. That's a pretty specialized set of equipment and would have cost an arm and a leg to buy new or to regage.