• Who to contact regarding B&H history?

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by Lehighton_Man

... About information/possible interview with a person who can tell me about the history of Hammondsport / the B&H, Steam Ships, industry, etc.
I ask because i am doing those items for a school research project, and i need to talk / interview with someone who has information they can share.
Thanks.
Sean
  by Luther Brefo

Lehighton_Man wrote:... About information/possible interview with a person who can tell me about the history of Hammondsport / the B&H, Steam Ships, industry, etc.
I ask because i am doing those items for a school research project, and i need to talk / interview with someone who has information they can share.
Thanks.
Sean
Luther to Matt Langworthy... Come in Matt Langworthy...

Matt knows just about everything there is to know about the B&H. Try him. Also, if you post more specific questions, we may all be able to chime in.
  by Matt Langworthy

Lehighton_Man wrote:... About information/possible interview with a person who can tell me about the history of Hammondsport / the B&H, Steam Ships, industry, etc.
Thanks.
Sean
Hope I'm not too late, Sean. Please send a PM with your questions... or we can discuss it right here in this thread. The choice is yours.

by Lehighton_Man

Right here in this thread would be great. My things are at school though, so i'll get the questions to you there matt.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers.
Sean

by Lehighton_Man

Alrighty Matt:
I dont know if you know some of these questions, because i was to originally interview the Hammondsport Town historian, but any answer is well appreicated.
Hope you dont mind a few stray non-B&H questions...
1. In the Beginning, what was the main focal of Economic developement and/or commerce in Hammondsport?
Agriculture. Hammondsport was a farming community. Prior to the arrival of vineyards, a variety of crops were grown. The first grapes were grown by Father Bostwick of St. James Episcopal Church for communion wine circa 1828. Grapes were quite successful in the hilly terrain, which is fairly similar to that of wine making regions in northern France and Germany. By the 1850s, grapes and wine making were the main commerce in the Hammondsport area.
2. I understand that Hammondsport had a steam ship landing once, could you tell me about that?

3. I believe, like Canaduagia lake, in the winters during the 1800s and early 1900s that Keuka Lake completely Froze over; is that so?

4.(if yes to question above): How did that affect the transportation for that time period? and more importantly, the economy?

5. What type of industries located themselves in hammondsport?

6. When the Railroad Came, How did it affect the steam ship operations?

7. How much longer did the steam ship operation last after the advent of the Bath & Hammondsport Railroad?

8. Did then B&H Bring any new economic developement to the town?

9. I have learned recently that the railroad was originally built as a 3ft gauge 'Narrow Gauge' line, but why did they build it as narrow gauge, instead of standard gauge from the start?
same reason any narrow gauge railroad was built..cost.
it was much cheaper to build a Narrow gauge railroad than a standard gauge one..and at the time, there was no standard gauge railroad the B&H could interchange with anyway..the Erie at Bath was 6-foot gauge

10. When was the Railroads operation inaugural Run? When was its last run? (passenger, freight, etc.)

11. From using Computer 3d maps, i've seen a structure in Hammondsport, that looks like an engine hosue. Did the B&H ever have anything bigger, or any more servicing facilities for their engines?

(as an extra): 11 1/2: Ive seen images where the Daily B&H train ran backwards to Hammondsport because of no Turntable in Hammondsport to turn the Engine, Why did they never install a Turntable? otr atleast, a Wye?

12. In more recent years, the B&H tracks into Hammondsport haven't been used, whats the reason?
Easy. No customers. That track is listed as "Out of Service" so they are technically not abandoned, they can be reactivated if a customer locates along the line and demands service.

13. Glenn Curtiss was quoted "the man of Aviation" how did he pioneer in the Aviation industry?

(another extra): 13 1/2: Did the B&H ever serve anything related to Glenn Curtiss'es facilities in Hammondsport?

14. What other industrial features does Hammondsport have?

15. How did Glenn Curtiss affect the growth of Industry in Hammondsport?

16. I understand that wine industry is very large in this Area, how does that affect tourism?

17. When was the Towns industrial Peak in history?

18. Besides wine and tourism, what other industries bring the most revenue into the town?

19. Has the town tried to Keep a historical Presence with any of the historical items(the railroad included)?

20. Any Other interesting things that you wouldnt mind sharing with me?

Thanks Matt.
I'll come up with more questions later on, sorry for such a long list, its just a school project im basing on the B&H.
Thanks again to all who can answer.
Cheers.
Sean
Last edited by Lehighton_Man on Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

by scottychaos

Sean,
there is a book you need to check out at the library! :)

"Keuka Lake Memories"
by William Reed Gordon.

has a ton of history on the B&H and the Keuka Lake steamships..
I have the book at home, I will look up some dates for you tonight..
(and im sure Matt will chime in too with some answers)

but that book will answer at least half of your questions..maybe even 80%..

Brighton Memorial Library In Library Use Only
Rochester Public Library Central In Library Use Only
Chili Public Library Not Checked Out
Chili Public Library Not Checked Out
Fairport Public Library Not Checked Out
Gates Public Library In Library Use Only
Greece Public Library Not Checked Out
McGraw Branch East - Irondequoit Library In Library Use Only
Penfield Public Library Not Checked Out
Parma Public Library Not Checked Out
Rush Public Library Not Checked Out

Im not sure if Wayne or Ontario libraries have it, but they probably do..
(im not sure where you live..)

9. I have learned recently that the railroad was originally built as a 3ft gauge 'Narrow Gauge' line, but why did they build it as narrow gauge, instead of standard gauge from the start?
same reason any narrow gauge railroad was built..cost.
it was much cheaper to build a Narrow gauge railroad than a standard gauge one..and at the time, there was no standard gauge railroad the B&H could interchange with anyway..the Erie at Bath was 6-foot gauge!

1854 - Erie railroad builds through Bath (6-foot gauge)
First railroad in Bath. (Erie's Corning branch..not the mainline)
1872 - Construction on the B&H started (3-foot gauge)
1875 - B&H was completed.
1880 - Erie converts to Standard Gauge.
1882 - DL&W builds its mainline through Bath (standard gauge)
1888 - B&H converts to Standard Gauge.
1960 - Erie and DL&W merge to form EL
1976 - EL becomes part of Conrail.
1996 - LAL takes over operations of the B&H.

(how about posting your report here when its done?
many of us would like to read it! :)

Today, the B&H railroad, as operated by the LAL, is a mix of Erie, DL&W and B&H trackage..

Scot

by Lehighton_Man

Thank you for the small timeline Scotty.
Wow, 3 years to build 7 miles of track?
Quite unique, yet prolonged..
Although, thats not counting the grading that had to be done.
Thanks, and keep it coming!
Cheers.
Sean

by scottychaos

Lehighton_Man wrote:Wow, 3 years to build 7 miles of track?
Quite unique, yet prolonged..
not very unique really..
many very short railroads took years to build..
again, money (lack of money) was almost always the cause.

(im not sure of the exact cause in the case of the B&H, but it was probably money)

Scot

by Lehighton_Man

Thanks for the replies so far guys, i need them to keep coming though! This 'interview' is technically a school assignment needed for my project. And it has a grade. If i dot get the interview complete, then im losing points off my final grade!
Just as a promotion, i can't post my report if i dont have any thing to put in it.
Thanks for the book info though Scotty, i'll have to look into that.
Thanks again to all.
Sean

by Otto Vondrak

Sean, Matt gave you a very good start on your research, but you've got to do some of the background work. If you read the book that Matt suggested, you'll have a very good background on the material and you'll be able to ask better questions that will lead you to the facts you seek. Or, are you counting this informal "Q&A" as your interview?
12. In more recent years, the B&H tracks into Hammondsport haven't been used, whats the reason?
Easy. No customers. That track is listed as "Out of Service" so they are technically not abandoned, they can be reactivated if a customer locates along the line and demands service.

http://www.lalrr.com/bh.html

-otto-

by Lehighton_Man

Technically Otto, its suppose to be an Interview, if you guys dont mind. I'll have to look into the Books that Scott and Matt both mentioned.
EDIT: From now on, i'll add the answers to my above questions post, underlined. Thanks again.
Cheers.
Sean

by Lehighton_Man

Well, i looked for the Book at my school library, No Dice. Living down here in Middlesex doesnt allow me to use any of the City Public Libraries, so i am SOL for there too. I'll check my town library tonight, and if i get no dice there ethier, i'm gonna have to rely on you guys, especially matt, if he is ever reading this.
Thanks.
Sean

by scottychaos

Lehighton_Man wrote:Well, i looked for the Book at my school library, No Dice. Living down here in Middlesex doesnt allow me to use any of the City Public Libraries, so i am SOL for there too. I'll check my town library tonight, and if i get no dice there ethier, i'm gonna have to rely on you guys, especially matt, if he is ever reading this.
Thanks.
Sean
Sean,
Middlesex..Yates county right?
Lets see...
some googling doesnt bring up a "county-wide" library system like we have here in Monroe County..I cant find a webpage for a Middlesex library..

But I found the Penn Yan library:

http://www.pypl.org/

They have 5 copies of the book..
2 available to check out, both currently "in"..
one in the local history section, non-circulating,
and two copies in storage..

do you have, or can you get, a library card for the Penn Yan library?

Scot

by Otto Vondrak

Sean, you should be able to borrow any book from anywhere in the state via interlibrary loan... ask your librarian for help (not your school library, your town's library), they will totally hook you up.

-otto-

by Lehighton_Man

alright, thanks otto, and scotty
As a Update: I am looking to get this Book you mentioned, but if you guys know the answers to some of these, (Matt Langworthy, Come in Matt Langworthy) please answer at will, i need all the answers i can get, since the deadline for the project is soon approaching.
Thanks.
Sean