• Who to contact regarding B&H history?

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by Matt Langworthy

Lehighton_Man wrote:Alrighty Matt:
I dont know if you know some of these questions, because i was to originally interview the Hammondsport Town historian, but any answer is well appreicated.
Hope you dont mind a few stray non-B&H questions...
1. In the Beginning, what was the main focal of Economic developement and/or commerce in Hammondsport?
Agriculture. Hammondsport was a farming community. Prior to the arrival of vineyards, a variety of crops were grown. The first grapes were grown by Father Bostwick of St. James Episcopal Church for communion wine circa 1828. Grapes were quite successful in the hilly terrain, which is fairly similar to that of wine making regions in northern France and Germany. By the 1850s, grapes and wine making were the main commerce in the Hammondsport area.
Lehighton_Man wrote:2. I understand that Hammondsport had a steam ship landing once, could you tell me about that?

The first steamboats made their appearance on Keuka Lake in the 1830s. The landing in Hammondsport was basically the entire waterfront from Cold Brook to the marina next to the Hammondsport Motel. The B&H station basically sits in the midpoint of that landing. Several steamboat companies used the landing during the 1800s, and they all came under the control of the Erie Railroad by 1905. Steamboats stopped using the landing in 1922, when the Penn Yan (nee Mary Belle) made her last runs.

Lehighton_Man wrote:3. I believe, like Canaduagia lake, in the winters during the 1800s and early 1900s that Keuka Lake completely Froze over; is that so?

Keuka froze over completely during some of the harsher winters of the 1800s, but that event became rare in the 1900s. The only winters where I saw the lake freeze completely in my lifetime were 1976-'77 and 2003-'04. It was a trip to watch the B&H switch while standing a mile offshore back when I was a kid!

Lehighton_Man wrote:4.(if yes to question above): How did that affect the transportation for that time period? and more importantly, the economy?

The steamboats tended to tie up for the winter because even if the lake didn't freeze completely, there was usually a decent ice build-up near shore. Tourism in general tended to die down as the weather got colder, so the B&H would trim back passenger service. While freight service tended to be busiest in the fall (during the grape harvest), the wineries and other freight customers were active all year so the B&H was shipping freight during the cold weather. too.

Lehighton_Man wrote:5. What type of industries located themselves in hammondsport?
Lyons Brother Warehouse, the Curtiss airplane factory (now Mercury), a lumber yard, a collier, Frey & Campbell, and a couple of wineries were located within the village limits during the late 1800s and 1900s.

Lehighton_Man wrote:6. When the Railroad Came, How did it affect the steam ship operations?
The B&H provided a connection between the railroad(s) in Bath and the steamboats on Keuka Lake, so it fostered a growth in freight and especially passengers. Keuka Lake was a popular resort in the heyday of the B&H. Before automobiles arrived en masse, trains and boats were the means to get travellers to the water, which was highly desirable in those days. (Hint:no air conditioning!)

Lehighton_Man wrote:7. How much longer did the steam ship operation last after the advent of the Bath & Hammondsport Railroad?

First B&H passenger train: 1875
Last steamboat run with passengers: August 6th, 1922.

Lehighton_Man wrote:8. Did then B&H Bring any new economic developement to the town?
Yes, it attracted more wineries on Rheims, plus most of the businesses I listed above.

Lehighton_Man wrote:9. I have learned recently that the railroad was originally built as a 3ft gauge 'Narrow Gauge' line, but why did they build it as narrow gauge, instead of standard gauge from the start?
same reason any narrow gauge railroad was built..cost.
it was much cheaper to build a Narrow gauge railroad than a standard gauge one..and at the time, there was no standard gauge railroad the B&H could interchange with anyway..the Erie at Bath was 6-foot gauge
You've answered your own question. The B&H standard gauged itself after a decade plus of profitable operations.

Lehighton_Man wrote:10. When was the Railroads operation inaugural Run? When was its last run? (passenger, freight, etc.)
First run: July 1st, 1875 (both freight and passenger)
Last passenger run: July, 1935 (mixed train)
Last freight run to Hammondsport: early 1994
Last freight run to Taylor Winery: April, 1995

I promise to answer your other questions later this week. It's a very busy time for me...

by Lehighton_Man

Thank you matt!!!!!!!!!!
Your a Life Saver!!!!
please, take all the time you need, i am doing alright with what information i have, and now with what Matt has started me with, it'll help much more.
Otto, be sure to change Matts Title to B&H extrordinare!! He is a king of anything BH.
As an offside question, does anybody here know of some topographical maps of the B&H line, and the areas ir ran through? Its simplicty and small size has promoted me to model a modern, but different B&H between Bath and Hammondsport on my Layout, a 4x8 with a 4x6 extention in an "L" formation.
Yet again, thanks very much matt, i cant thank you enough.
Cheers.
Sean

by Otto Vondrak

Lehighton_Man wrote:Thank you matt!!!!!!!!!!
Your a Life Saver!!!!
Dude, not for nothing, but what would you have done if Matt couldn't answer your questions in time for your school project?
As an offside question, does anybody here know of some topographical maps of the B&H line, and the areas ir ran through?
Try a Google search for "historical topo maps" and see what comes up. It's amazing. Also, check out "Bath, NY" on Google Maps. The satellite view isn't much, but the map view will show you the lay of the land as well.

-otto-

by Lehighton_Man

well, i was working alright, slowly getting things done, i guess. Matt just offered a better insight. Thats all.
Thanks anyway.
Sean

by Otto Vondrak

Just saying... always have an alternate plan. There are many avenues for research, don't put all your eggs in one Alco! ;-)

-o

by Lehighton_Man

ahah. Nice otto. Ya, i was uncovering what i could availible online and im awaiting the book. But, before the book arrives, i'll prolly have my Essay done XP
Thanks though.
Sean

by thebigham

How is the Hammandsport enginehouse? Is anything stored inside?

Re:

by Matt Langworthy

thebigham wrote:How is the Hammandsport enginehouse? Is anything stored inside?
Although the tracks are still in place to the enginehouse, the B&H no longer owns the rails north of MP 8.65 (Main Street crossing in H'port). Nothing has been stored there since early 1994. It does look to be in good shape overall, despite little or no maintenance since Stan Clark's operation departed for good.
  by Matt Langworthy

Lehighton_Man wrote:11. From using Computer 3d maps, i've seen a structure in Hammondsport, that looks like an engine hosue. Did the B&H ever have anything bigger, or any more servicing facilities for their engines?
Yes, the engine servicing facilities were a bit more extensive in its early days. The photos in Keuka Lake Memories and Images of America: Hammondsport and Keuka Lake indicate the B&H had a full-blown shop in the pre-Erie era that could perform major repairs on the steam locomotives. The B&H normally kept 2 to 4 of them on hand.

Lehighton_Man wrote:(as an extra): 11 1/2: Ive seen images where the Daily B&H train ran backwards to Hammondsport because of no Turntable in Hammondsport to turn the Engine, Why did they never install a Turntable? otr atleast, a Wye?
The railroad did have a reverse loop in Hammondsport and a wye at Bath, but the loop was destroyed in the flood of 1935. I don't know when the wye disappeared, but I'm guessing sometime after #11 departd in 1955 and before the Route 17 expressway was built circa 1962.

Lehighton_Man wrote:12. In more recent years, the B&H tracks into Hammondsport haven't been used, whats the reason?
No comment. This is not a political message board.

Lehighton_Man wrote:13. Glenn Curtiss was quoted "the man of Aviation" how did he pioneer in the Aviation industry?
Curtiss and his cohorts were the first to fly after the Wright Brothers. Among Curtiss's notable achievements:

A. first public airplane flight
B. first seaplane
C. developed the seaplane tender and the aircraft carrier
D. first to fly from Albany to New York
E. developed ailerons, which are still used to control flight today
F. first American to receive a pilot's license
Lehighton_Man wrote:(another extra): 13 1/2: Did the B&H ever serve anything related to Glenn Curtiss'es facilities in Hammondsport?
Yes, it served his first aircraft plant, which is now Mercury.

Lehighton_Man wrote:14. What other industrial features does Hammondsport have?
Currently- just Mercury.

Lehighton_Man wrote:15. How did Glenn Curtiss affect the growth of Industry in Hammondsport?
His first aircraft plant did create jobs and rail traffic, although successive plants were built in Buffalo. BTW, the plant had its own bus between H'port and Bath, which deprived the B&H of passengers.

Lehighton_Man wrote:16. I understand that wine industry is very large in this Area, how does that affect tourism?
Tourists want to sample the wine and see how it is made. City dwellers are also attracted to the relaxed country atmosphere.

Lehighton_Man wrote:17. When was the Towns industrial Peak in history?
Early 1900s, before trucks and paved highways were widespread.

Lehighton_Man wrote:18. Besides wine and tourism, what other industries bring the most revenue into the town?
Mercury Aircraft. There is no other industry in H'port today besides Mercury, wine, grapes and tourism.

Lehighton_Man wrote:19. Has the town tried to Keep a historical Presence with any of the historical items(the railroad included)?
Yes, the village erected a statue to honor Curtiss and named a school after him. The Glenn Curtiss Museum also keep a number of historical items. However, there are few (if any) RR artifacts preserved from the B&H.

Lehighton_Man wrote:20. Any Other interesting things that you wouldnt mind sharing with me?
Number 11,the only surviving B&H steam locomotive, is being restored by the Western Maryland Scenic RR. IIRC, it will eventually go to the Everett RR in Pennsylvania.
  by Lehighton_Man

Thank you again Matt, you really are a B&H guy.
Thanks.
Sean
  by Matt Langworthy

Otto Vondrak wrote:Hey Matt, I hope you get a good grade on your paper! ;-)

-otto-
It's Sean's paper, but that's OK. :wink:

I hope he does well...
  by Lehighton_Man

100 on the essay, 80 on the poster board since it was quickly put together.
Once i get my essay, i'll put it up for you all to read.
Also matt, i was kinda required to send you a hand-written thankyou note, but i don't know your adress.
:-P
Thanks all for the help.
Sean