• Where Can I drive a Locomotive

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by Gadfly

Microsoft offers train simulator programs for your computer at Circuit City.

It is more fun when you can do it for FREE courtesy of your employer! I was a clerk, but I got to run an engine a couple of times (courtesy of friends) and the NS simulator was pretty cool. It came around to our locations from time to time, and any employee, if he was not otherwise tied up, could run it. It was in a GM camper that was sort of like a theatre complete with sound effects and a panoramic surround screen. It would give some darned good sensations, including slack run-in/out, & the way it felt if the engine slipped down. Your instructor could dial in any division or trackage and I got to do the "rat hole" division once and the old Saluda to Melrose line, one of (if not THE) steepest grades in the US. That was an eye-opener because ( and I don't fully remember how it was done) standard procedure was to do a standing brake test at the top and bottom of the grade. At the top, they also turned up the retarders, set the brake pipe pressure at a certain level, a certain throttle setting so that the train would ease down the hill at 8 MPH (now don't hold me to that, it's been YEARS since I was permitted to play with that segment. The Road Foreman that was letting me play with the "train set" :-) told me I had just TWO brake reductions down the entire hill. There were several SAND tracks where the switch was always lined into the sand. If you passed a certain point approaching the switch at 8 MPH or less, the switch would automatically line to the main, and you would proceed down the hill to the next switch. If you were FASTER than 8 MPH, you were going into the SAND! :-D Saluda was so STEEP that a heavy train would literally get away from you before the system could pump up the air if you let it get beyond the magic 8 MPH and you WOULD go into the sand track. As a Train Order operator, I heard them working up and down Saluda at the South end of the Asheville District at Hayne Yard, and getting to run the simulator helped ME to understand what the crews were going thru. I was NO "engineer", but the company seemed to approve of having their other craft employees "play" with the simulator, time and schedule permitting, so we other crafts could understand what it was all about. Very interesting to me!

Gadfly

by scharnhorst

the railroad musum in Partola Railroad museum in Partola, CA has a crash corse where you can learn to operate locomotives. I think the ones you can operate are:

GP7
DD40AX
F-7?

and a few outhers. They have a web page and prices listed.

by concordgirl

scharnhorst wrote:If you want to get into the whole technical part of Operate vs Drive locomotive. I think in Europe they call Locomotive engineers Drivers where as we call them engineers or operators.
Yeah in England I know they call them 'drivers' according to the wiki. ('Course, they also call trucks lorries, so take that for what it's worth...lol) But don't ever say that to a conductor on the Boston commuter rail ;-) They'll tell ya "No one can drive a train!"

by The Man

GCRM stilloffers it with a "Crew member for a day" You get to run a GP-7M and an E8 and or E9. last time I was there I saw that they have returned the NASA S-2 to service so it might be part of the program. They don't go far so if the group in Parish offers one I would take it over GCRM.

JJ-

by powerpro69

and once you do learn to run a locomotive, you can then learn how to run down all the other Hoggers, cause, I've never met one who didn't think he was the best :wink:

by WSH

The Man wrote:GCRM stilloffers it with a "Crew member for a day" You get to run a GP-7M and an E8 and or E9.

JJ-
What's the GCRM? That sounds like the best one I've heard of so far.

by conrail_engineer

powerpro69 wrote:and once you do learn to run a locomotive, you can then learn how to run down all the other Hoggers, cause, I've never met one who didn't think he was the best :wink:
FWIW...big difference between moving a locomotive and working as an engineer.

The controls are the least of it. ANY numbskull can work a throttle lever; an independent brake lever; even a trainline automatic brake lever.

The secret is in knowing what those levers are going to do to 120 heavy railway cars in tow. When you're two miles long, and going uphill in two spots and downhill in three.

A retarded baby can manipulate a pen. It takes someone who knows what he's doing, to use that pen to write great essays...first, forming the letters; then, using those letters and words to convey ideas.

That may be an overstatement...but I'd say it's comparable.

by WSH

I like that analogy! I wish I could expierenc that knowledge.

Kind of like a valet at a nice restaurant that says he has "driven Ferrari's".

by GOLDEN-ARM

powerpro69 wrote: I've never met one who didn't think he was the best :wink:
I always claim to be the "second best", whenever I arrive at a new property. When asked who the best is, I will respond either: "You are", or I'll say "Everyone else is tied for first". Either way, it usually makes for a decent laugh, and is a decent ice-breaker. :wink:

by powerpro69

That kinda reminds me of a classmate of mine, a year and a half later, he still wears his orange hat when he's assigned to a new job :-D

by scharnhorst

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:
powerpro69 wrote: I've never met one who didn't think he was the best :wink:
I always claim to be the "second best", whenever I arrive at a new property. When asked who the best is, I will respond either: "You are", or I'll say "Everyone else is tied for first". Either way, it usually makes for a decent laugh, and is a decent ice-breaker. :wink:
I was always nervous behind the controls when running the Sperry Cars even thow it was simple controls with a brake stand, throttle, and forward-reverser. There always seemed to be 8 things going on all at once while in the operators end car.

by conrail_engineer

powerpro69 wrote:That kinda reminds me of a classmate of mine, a year and a half later, he still wears his orange hat when he's assigned to a new job :-D
Sounds like a story that was going around...I don't remember if it was put up here; but it made it to the ranks in Cleveland.

There's a lot of new hires with their orange or green vests or hats; and not all of them are kids.

So, the story went, one day an engineer with a new-hire conductor, supposedly went into Rockport Yard. That was one of the Conrail yards that went to the NS after split.

The engineer borrowed the newbie's hat, and as they passed the crew room, he leaned out the window and yelled: "Hey, they're letting me drive!"

The job was stopped by the time it cleared up on the track. I don't remember if the engineer owned up to it or not....but it did delay the job enough to get them two hours of overtime.

by JoeG

Two years ago I went to Poland for a week of running steam trains. These were actual commercial commuter trains, with passengers in the seats. You are considered a student engineer. I wrote up the experience for Railroad.Net and you can read about it here Running Polish steam trains

If anyone is interested in more information, feel free to PM or email me.
  by tomjohn

I doubt that the many railroads want to take the time to offer the classes to the general public, it would have give the general public a new appreciation for Class 1,Regional RR to the SHORT LINE Railways

Tom

by GOLDEN-ARM

conrail_engineer wrote: The engineer borrowed the newbie's hat, and as they passed the crew room, he leaned out the window and yelled: "Hey, they're letting me drive!"
I did the same thing, in the CSX Montgomery yard. With a FNG vest and hat, supplied by a cool CSX Trainmaster. I pulled through the yard with a KCS train, hanging out the window, pumping my arm up and down, in the classic "blow the whistle" movement. Yelling out to the stunned RCO guys, and road crews at the GYO, I shouted "look at me, they're letting me drive". Guys ran inside to tell someone what they saw, but we were departing for Meridian, and they could only watch, as I ran the train in run 8, with a minimum set on them, honking the horn and waving continuously...... :P Good times on the M&B.