• Whats the Difference?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by Engineer James

What is the difference between an SD9 and a GP9?

by GOLDEN-ARM

HA-Ha, ya got me, on that one, James.... :-D Too funny. But seriously, as an "engineer", you should know, that the "GP", or General Purpose series of locomotives, have 4 axles. The SD, or Super Duty series, are six axles. Look harder at all those HO trains you have, and start counting axles....... :wink:

by Engineer James

OK, I thought that there was a differance in the prime movers, as well as the maximum load each can carry.....

Not just the Axles....

by SSW9389

Both the GP9 and the SD9 used the 16V-567C engine. Obviously with two additional axles the SD9 could drag 50% more tonnage than a GP9 could. :-)

by Aji-tater

I don't believe the SD could pull 50% more - the peak horsepower output is the same, just distributed to 6 axles rather than 4. I'm sure someone here has specific figures on tractive effort they will share with us.

by GOLDEN-ARM

I always hate doing this, because math was my least favorite subject, in school. I will overview some info, regarding Tractive Effort, and Tractive Force. ( :( )

Tractive Effort, (in measurement by foot pounds), as available, from locomotives in average service:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TE (Lbs.) = HP X (308)
--------------
Speed-MPH
Where (308) is approx., 82% of 375 Lb-Miles, per HP
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ :( :(
As Example: A 3000 High Horsepower Locomotive will have APPROXIMATELY 74,000 Lbs, of Tractive Effort, at 12.05 MPH. (math :( )

Traqctive Force & Adhesion:
The Tractive Force, of Locomotive powered axles/wheels, at the rail, needed to start, and/or move a specified amout of tonnage, at grades.
Adhesion DECREASES as speed Increases, and it INCREASES, as speed Decreases.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A rather boring fact:
The MAXIMUM Tractive Force, capable of being developed, at the point of rail to wheel contact, is EQUAL to Weight On Drivers, multiplied by Adhesion (measurement of friction) At the Rail to Wheel contact point. :(

At APPROXIMATELY 10 MPH, Adhesion will vary, from an average low, of only 10% (wet rail, extreme wheel/rail wear, tetc.) to an AVERAGE, High, of 44%, on dry sanded rail. (considering rail/wheels are in good to excellent condition) does not apply, to latest, super high adhesion locos, in the A/C traction categories.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------To apply the Tractive Force to the tonnage being moved, the Weight of the Loco(s) must be at least 4 times, the measured Tractive Force, being developed.
High Horsepower Locos (3000 HP, or greater) with a weight of approximately 195 tons, on a Six Axle Locomotive will have an AVERAGE Tractive Force measurement of APPROXIMATELY 97,000 Lbs, or 16,000 Lbs, per powered axle. (this applies ONLY if sufficient HP at the Rail/Wheel contact point exists, to develop Tractive Effort.

This should certainly clear up the ideas, of applying TF and TE values, to HHP, locomotives.......... :P Regards :-D

by Engineer James

Goldon Arm, man that was like lookin at last weeks math test.....

Ok, so 50% more than a GP9? Well, then really 6 axles make a difference eh?

by Typewriters

Well, although I think Golden-Arm has covered this mostly, I might add a couple points;

First, James, anytime you see two EMD locomotives of type "GP" and "SD" they will have the same engine. Note that there are GP units with no SD equivalent, and vice versa, and naturally this ONLY applies to GP and SD designations (and thus not SW, E or anything else.)

Second, we can look at continuous ratings. EMD itself did not assign a short-time rating to the GP-9 since it felt that adhesion would prevent the locomotive from overloading, but the railroads did use a common figure for the GP-9 for minimum continuous speed and corresponding effort. (Using PRR figures.)

GP-9: 44,600 lbs @ 11.8 MPH
SD-9 67,000 LBS @ 7.0 MPH

As we can see, the SD does in fact have roughly half again as much continuous effort (logical and in fact obvious when comparing four vs six identical motors with the same gear ratio) but since the engine is the same it achieves this 50% greater effort at a much lower speed.

Now let's compare locomotive weights and starting tractive efforts at 25% adhesion (using PRR units):

GP-9: 249,000 LBS / 62,250 LBS STE
SD-9: 356,000 LBS / 89,000 LBS STE

So, then, the SD-9 as compared here did in fact have 50% greater continuous effort and approximately 50% greater starting tractive effort than the GP-9.

This relationship holds for other manufacturers' locomotives as well; look at some roughly contemporary ALCO-GE ratings.

RS-3 52,500 lbs continuous / RSD-5 78,750 lbs continuous / both units rated 13,125 lbs continous effort per driving axle.

Hope this helps with your four vs. six axle comparisons, James!

-Will Davis

by rdganthracite

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:HA-Ha, ya got me, on that one, James.... :-D Too funny. But seriously, as an "engineer", you should know, that the "GP", or General Purpose series of locomotives, have 4 axles. The SD, or Super Duty series, are six axles. Look harder at all those HO trains you have, and start counting axles....... :wink:
When the SD7 and SD9 were introduced they were advertised as being Special Duty locomotives for light rail branches.

Just like the names for locomotives that GM used such as FT for "F"ifty four hundred horsepower for 4 units or "T"wenty seven hundred horsepower for two units, then later F for "F"ifteen hundred horsepower, and SW as "S"ix hundred horsepower "W"elded frame, when the locomotive horsepower began to exceed the original names, the marketing department came up with new names for the same letters and did everything they could to erase what the letters were meant to stand for.

by Engineer James

Interesting, you learn something new everyday...

by GOLDEN-ARM

U-Haul wrote:Some information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP9
and more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_SD9
I would sooner point someone in the direction of the National Inquirer, than the Wikki. Really. :(

by SSW9389

Golden Arm I am going to have to completely disagree with you on your Wikipedia comment. Wikipedia is a working encyclopedia and has made great strides in its accuracy and content at least in the realm of locomotive history. Wikipedia is only as good as the people who write and edit for it. BTW you spelled Enquirer wrong! :wink:
GOLDEN-ARM wrote:
and more.
I would sooner point someone in the direction of the National Inquirer, than the Wikki. Really. :(

by GOLDEN-ARM

And if submit something false there, and so do you, and we "enlist" a third person to back our claim, then our "fact" becomes that, in the Wiki. Thanks for that spelling lesson. I was too busy, in school, learning how to operate locomotives, and didn't have time for homework, or serious studies. You can bank on the Wiki, if you want. I will settle for the facts. :P

by MEC407

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:
and more.
If you've got a problem with something on Wikipedia, you're always free to change it. That's the beauty of it.

I've fixed up several wikipedia articles that were full of baloney. It's kinda fun.