• What is the maximum number of locomotives?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by davidl

Hi,

Yesterday I saw a train with (I think) 7 locomotives. I've seen trains with 6 before, but 7 is a new record for me.

It got me wondering what the maximum number of locomotives is. Does anybody know what that would be? Does it depend on the type of train or something else?

Thanks.

David

by CSX Conductor

Most railroads regulate the number of traction motors on-line. This also may vary on the territory. Also, as I mentioned, the number of loco's "on-line"(working) is what would be limited as many times you will see freights with dead engines in tow, and even if they are running, the may be off-line meaning they are just idling and not assisting in moving the train. Hope this helps :wink:

by DutchRailnut

Most T/M online is usually 24 unless permission is granted by operations managment

by davidl

CSX, that definitely helps. I've often wondered if all the locomotives are running or some are just along for the ride. Do you know if the added power diminishes with each locomotive? It seems like it would, but that's just a guess.

Thanks.

by davidl

DutchRailnut,

This is probably a "beginner" question... What's "T/M"?

Thanks.

David

by DutchRailnut

t/m is traction motors, on diesels each powered axle has a traction motor.
on most eastern railroads the max amount that is allowed on line is 24.

by inkyrail

Here on the UP the max is 52 equivalent powered axles, where one EPA is an axle that can produce 10,000 lbs of tractive effort or 10,000 lbs dynamic braking effort. There can only be 8 locomotives in a train, or 12 in a power move.

by Steve F45

most engines i've ever seen is 27 back in 94 when i was a kid. came flying up the riverline at cp-5 headed north. Nothing but black smoke pouring from all of them. quiet a site, if i could find the pics in my room i'de scane and post.

by ANDY117

My records: 8 on CP. 5 on NS. and 6 on NYSW.

by Hudson Terminus

Personal record?

Saw 9 on the coal train that serves Pope's Creek Secondary in Maryland. I'm sure not all of them were working, but it was quite a sight to see a freight train with 9 locos on the NEC.

by GN 599

On BNSF we can have 42 powered axles and 28 axles of dynamic braking. Some subdivisions have different restrictions.

by jz441

GN 599 wrote:On BNSF we can have 42 powered axles and 28 axles of dynamic braking. Some subdivisions have different restrictions.
In So. Cal. (BNSF) 48 powered axles on Z,Q and P trains. 32 dynamics on solid double stack trains.

Max number of locomotives in the consist is 12.

These rules vary on diferent railroads and subdivisions.

by GN 599

I run on mountain grade territory. The only trains we see are H and M trains. We are the BNSF wooden axle sub, lots of jointed rail too......

by CCCPR

On CP, 24 driving axles east of calgary, 30 west of calgary (mountains). 20 dynamics on all trains. How do they rate you power? On CP an AC44/SD 90 = 12 driving axles, 10DB, SD60's are 10axles, every thing else determined by number of axles on unit.

by CSX Conductor

GN 599 wrote:The only trains we see are H and M trains.
What are those?