Railroad Forums 

• What is the maximum number of locomotives?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#266953  by slchub

From the UP SSI:
Item 4-A: Locomotive Instructions

Limit freight trains to eight locomotives on the lead consist. The maximum of eight locomotives includes units that are working, isolated, dead-in-consist, or dead-in-train immediately behind the locomotive consist. Train management may authorize a higher number of locomotives on freight trains, but must not exceed power axle limitations.

The eight locomotive limit does not apply to power transfers, with or without cabooses. Limit power transfers to a maximum of 25 locomotives unless train management authorizes you otherwise.

Do not move or switch more than eight coupled locomotives within locomotive servicing facilities. This includes movements between service tracks and train yards.

Updated: 6/17/2006

#267870  by emd_SD_60

So far the most engines I have seen on a train are 7. There were 5 HLCX engines dead in tow behind two IC SD70's (1033 and 1035) leading. Three of the engines were two former Detroit Edison SD40's and a ex-Guilford SD40.

#267885  by pennsy

Hi All,

For the most number of engines hauling a freight you need to go to mountain RR's. Try Cajon Pass, Beaumont, Horseshoe curve etc. etc. Spending an evening in Kingman, AZ I watched the freights that night and caught a dozen engines on one train. Huge train, brakemen and conductors all over the place, sounds were incredible. Also caught nine Geeps leading a freight from San Diego North towards Los Angeles, somewhere around Dana Point. Giving the subject some thought, I will also have to admit that sometimes the train was definitely overpowered and the obvious conclusion was that the RR was balancing power. ie. too many engines at one end of the line and not enough at the other end.

#268078  by USRailFan

There's a picture in a 4-5 year old TRAINS magazine (sorry, but my whole collection is currently packed away and unavailable, so I can't be any more specific) of an A&M train with nine Centuries up front - all running.

#268142  by DutchRailnut

running does not mean much, as long as not all are online.
normaly any more than XX amount of units online others are isolated or no jumper is applied.
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

#268446  by CSX Conductor

And sometimes they are left runnng and sert-up as a box-car in tow on locals when the power needs to be split.

#269182  by GOLDEN-ARM

As per an earlier post, on another thread, I had 10 six axle EMD's, on a large freight train, out of Montgomery Al., back in Feb. All 10 on line, and making power. On the old SP, the Power desk could, and would assign every loco in the yard, if that's what was needed, to move the freight. I have seen 12 engines on the point, and another 8 halfway back, running DP'ed. My personal best, 16 locos, all on line, and pulling as hard as 96 axles could pull. Doesn't matter what's in the SSI, as local management can, and do, override whatever suits their needs, whenever they feel like it. Nothing like screaming across the road, with 16 roaring locos, trying to see the hind end, of a 212 car train........... :-D

#270241  by UPRR engineer

I've also tacked on extra power on a train, put my devil train power against a dog or two, (MRONP/MPCNP there slchub) and drug them into town, could have gave any mail train a run for there money up the hill. The extra horses dont scare me, too much dynamic brakes on those mixed trains does though.

#270248  by UPRR engineer

slchub wrote:From the UP SSI:
Item 4-A: Locomotive Instructions

Do not move or switch more than eight coupled locomotives within locomotive servicing facilities. This includes movements between service tracks and train yards.

Updated: 6/17/2006
Broke that rule more then once also, when i was the midnight yard hog if we had any time to spare id take my goat to the pit and gather up all the morning locals power and put them against there cars.

#270346  by ENR3870

CN SSI(traditional CN. IC, GTW, etc. may be different) says no more than 24 driving axles on a train, 4 six axle units or 6 four axle units. Any additional locomotives must be isolated.

#274571  by slchub

Very cool. I've seen you guys bringing stuff in from Alchem with some heavy power as well. Thinking of GR, I don't miss the MGROG. You guys always had it ready to go, air slipped and everything, and more often than not, the tower would have us do something to the train that resulted in us farting around for 3-4 hours before we hit 819.

#276170  by dieselsmoke

How bout this?

11 engines on BNSF Cajon Pass

#276214  by DutchRailnut

Cool but I doubt all units are online, just because their coupled does not mean their all working.

#276655  by GOLDEN-ARM

They were all online, and pulling their guts out, when I was runnin' them......... :-D

#287193  by Matt K Dettman

So I gather that there is a limit to prevent what, rail and traction motor damage?