• What happened to the LIRR FL9s?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Lirr168

I believe it was sold or leased to Metro-North, which has an extensive FL9 fleet.

by emfinite

LIRR's FL9's were owned by Metro-North. When the C-1 bilevel coaches were delivered on property, they were eventually hauled by FL9 #s 300, 301 and 302 (renumbered for use on LIRR). Once they weren't needed around LI any more, they were brought back to Metro-North and were stored serviceable in Croton-Harmon yard. I don't think they were ever used again after that. They were recently cut up for scrap metal and I don't think any parts of them remain. Maybe others can clarify if I was wrong about anything here.

Joe

by Otto Vondrak

300, 301, 302 are currently in Metro-North's Croton East Yard awaiting the scrapper's torch. I know one of the units is original NH 2000... but the unit is so far gone and been rebuilt so many times, it's not worth preserving. They are considered FL9AC's, but something about them makes them incompatible with Metro-North equipment- most likely their electrical systems were designed to work with the C-1's and nothing else.

-otto-

by Lirr168

Otto Vondrak wrote: I know one of the units is original NH 2000
Somone sent me some pics of the FL9's arriving on the island, I have to dig them up. I remember for sure that two of them were #2000 and #2003, but I am not sure about the other.

by SK2MY

The FL-9's were the engines that pulled the first set of bi-level coaches on the LIRR. The engines were constantly breaking down and therefore earned the title: "BI-TANICS"! I believe that they were acquired from Metro-North and then were returned to them.

by emfinite

My mistake, I thought they were recently cut up, but I guess that was another bunch of FL9's. There was a picture in Railpace a few months ago of FL9's being cut up.

Joe

by DutchRailnut

#300 -301 and 302 were not stored servicable at Metro North they came over from LIRR dead in tow, missing conciderable amounts of parts.
One FL9 was canibalized at morris park shop and did not have 90% of electrical gear , no fuel tank , inverter missing , battery chargers missing , brake rigging missing.
It had to be hauled in between other two with a brake hose running tru the unit.
The other two had not run in months and did not have stacks capped.
so water got in engines.

by n2qhvRMLI

Good evening members,

Speaking of FL9's, here's a recent picture of a FL9 taken at the Westchester County Medical Center, Valhalla NY. From the looks of this photo it is being "installed" at the hospital!

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... ydate%3A13

Any ideas as to whether or not she saw service on the LIRR? The folks over on the Railway Preservation News Forum are curious and this RR.Net thread seems to be an interesting coincidence. I'll pass along any information with pleasure. THX

de Don, n2qhvRMLI

by DutchRailnut

No only 3 FL9ac's ran on LIRR so the MNCR FL9 at hospital has no bearing on this tread.

by NIMBYkiller

I think that's the same Fl9 that I saw on the bus heading to White Plains. Did it use to be on display at some other location at the medical center?

by Otto Vondrak

Am I invisible? ALL of the LIRR FL9's are in Croton East Yard! ALL OF THEM. 300, 301, 302. They are no where else except Croton. I swear.

-otto-

by emfinite

Hi guys,

For reference on FL9 information and pictures of them, check out this thread on the Metro-North forum:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8683

Last year at Croton-Harmon Open House, I took many photos of the FL9s on the dead-line. I will upload them onto a site and post the link.

Joe