• What freight used 3 axle trucks?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by Steve F45

Trying to find out what kind of freight cars used the 3 axle, buckeye trucks? I know alot of the 250 ton cranes had them, tenders, some military flat cars. what other kind of cars are there used the 3 axles? Im trying to figure out if im going to try and do a kitbash using HO 3 axle trucks.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

Not just Military flats, but all heavy duty flats, with high capacities could have them. Drop center flats too. There are a few in the Philly 30th st., yard northwest of the Amtrak station. I've also seen "whale-belly" tank cars, with them too. Haven't seen one of those, since the early 90's, they look like a regular tank car, with a giant "guppy" like belly, that drops between the trucks, and hangs towards the tracks. These monsters were also sprayed with insulating foam and had external head shields mounted on them, to make them compliant with FRA requirements for crashworthiness. I've never personally observed a boxcar, or hopper with those cantilevered trucks. They look like a regular truck, with slight modification, with another casting attached, holding the third axle. Three axle passenger car type trucks, I haven't noticed. Here's a shot of a six axled tank, although not a whale belly. Sometimes the loads are so heavy, they need two trucks per end, and ride on a span bolster. Here's one of those too.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images ... x29421.jpg

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/acfx85299.jpg

http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/rrschnb0.html

look towards the bottom of the page, on the last link, and see a flatcar with 4 sets of 3 axle trucks under it.
  by Steve F45

Goldern Arm, forgot to thank you last night for those links. Great information. Especially helpfull with schnabel car builds.

Hot "bottle" cars? whats that?
  by PRRGuy

Hot Metal cars...basically a "Bottle" shaped car that carries Hot Metal. Walthers makes a four-axle model but I have seen six- axle cars as well. There is a hot metal run that goes thru my area from East Chicago, IN to Riverdale, IL on the Indiana Harbor belt. They use mostly six-axle cars.

Ryan
  by Steve F45

Ryan, thanks for that explanation. I've definitely seen those cars. I'll check out rrpicturearchives.net after 11pm while im at work to see them.
  by Steve F45

are these 3 axle trucks meant to rotate at all or be cushioned more? it looks like a second piece adapted onto teh trucks. they look so much more different then heavyweight coach trucks.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

The three axle trucks are designed to spread the weight of a heavy load, over a wider area, reducing axle loadings, both for the rails, and for the axles themselves. There is a degree of "cushion" built into the trucks, via the primary springs, with inner and outer coil packs. The truck does articulate up and down, but it maintains a constant contact with the bolster, thus sharing the weight load somewhat evenly, while tracking tangent. They do swivel, being mounted in a standard type center cup, but have no special pivoting in a lateral plane. The pivot points support vertical articulation only. Hope this helps.
  by scharnhorst

Some of the big Treadwell Bottle Cars ment for moveing molton steel were built with 3 axle trucks under them.