• West side of Newark Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by blockline4180

JohnFPorcaro wrote:
MarkRouters wrote:I was driving down Mcarter highway in Newark last night and I think I saw a tank car sitting at the chemical company (WAS terminals Inc?) at the end of the track. I went by pretty quick and I didn't get a good look. Can any body verify? I want tom belive this line still has some life left in it. I still didn't get a chance to get a pic of a train going over the viaduct in Nutley.
I find it interesting what has happened in a year on this side of the Newark Branch. From 8/2006 to 12/28/2006 they received only 3 cars.
Since then, in the last year, they have received over 40+ cars at W.A.S., and Frey Chem. has started to receive cars again.

"Long Live The Newark Branch"
Henry Frankenstein: "Look! It's moving. It's alive. It's alive... It's alive, it's moving, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, IT'S ALIVE!"
Yeah this is good news John! Even if it is just a slight increase in traffic, its still pretty incredible for a branchline that is in such poor shape. Anyone know the last time Frey got cars before now??

by many19

There was a total of 4 or 5 at least tank cars. NS picked up 2 of them last week I think if they are not there still and they left the other 2 cause they were blocked by the trailers and also the excess amount of flooding. I don't think any conductor would of gotten wet over that messy pool. This is one of the first time I think that I have ever seen a tank car being dropped off so much further than usual.
I guess as long as the tracks are there why not.

by Dougster

I feel kind of dumb asking this question but where is Frey Chemical? I can't place it. I know where W.A.S. Terminal is.

Doug
  by JohnFPorcaro

Dougster wrote:I feel kind of dumb asking this question but where is Frey Chemical? I can't place it. I know where W.A.S. Terminal is.

Doug
If you are going south on 21, you get off at Chester Ave, make the left under 21, over the tracks, it is right there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UT ... 0056759429

by many19

I was talking to a NS engineer that does the job once every few days and he said that W.A.S. Terminal has been leasing their siding to other companies. This is why we get to see more tank cars specially corn oil and other vegetable products.
Does anyone maybe know whom these products are being sold too which company that might be near by.
J

by tom ho

Crossing Colfax Ave. Clifton
Going East GP40-2 # 3002, 3 covered hoppers, and GP-38-2 # 5615 at 10:50pm.

by tom ho

Westbound at Colfax Ave 11:41pm.
  by JohnFPorcaro

As I was going to work this morning, by the former "Gold's Gym" in Belleville, was a truck on the tracks(I don't know the name, if there is one, of a truck that can travel on tracks too). Plus there was a person with a hard hat on inspecting the tracks.
There has not been any activity on this line that I know of in the last month, so this is a good sign.
Hopefully we will start seeing some activity again.

by tom ho

1-30-08
At Colfax Ave Clifton
Eastbound 12:34
westbound 1:15
  by JohnFPorcaro

For the first time in about 2 1/2 months 2 cars were delivered to W.A.S.
  by blockline4180

JohnFPorcaro wrote:For the first time in about 2 1/2 months 2 cars were delivered to W.A.S.
Is this is a Spring/Summer/Fall operation only??

by tom ho

A Eastbound crossed Colfax Ave Clifton at 10:19 and went back West at 11:10.

Note: there was a daylight move this past Saturday. The train went to Newark with 3 tankcars.
  by JohnFPorcaro

Saw that a car was dropped off last night.
The other cars were not picked up, which means that there are 4
cars sitting there now.
Any movement on this line is good news.

by tom ho

Hi,

East bound cross Colfax Ave at 10:30pm on 4-8-08.
West bound Cross Colfax Ave at 2:22am on 4-9-08.
  by JohnFPorcaro

That is interesting Tom. The train must have come down to Newark with a time gap that long.