Railroad Forums 

• West side of Newark Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#350258  by bukie2k

JohnFPorcaro wrote:on the line last night. My friend in Nutley who lives right behind the line
heard(& felt) the train at about 11:00pm & 1:00am.
My guess is the tanker car was picked up.
I live within line of sight of the tracks as they go past Washington School. Too dark to see anything clearly but did hear the train heading towards Newark around 10pm and returning around 11:30.

#358098  by MarkRouters

Which pictures are from yesterday John? The white tank car? Do you know what day it was dropped off? I went by last week and I didn't see anything.
 #359195  by JohnFPorcaro

Mark, did you get my message? I've been having a hard time logging in.
The White Car above the 02/03/2007 date is the newly delivered car.
I don't know exactly when it was delivered.

#360994  by MarkRouters

I was crossing the ROW today at Grafton Ave. around 1pm and a MOW truck went by on the tracks headed south. It was a white pickup truck with black writing on the doors but I couldn't make out what it said. It was the type of truck with street tires as well as the train wheels that can be lowered down on to the tracks, and they were. I'm not sure what the name is for thay type of setup. Maybe somebody can help me out? Anyway, it was iteresting to see it on this line. I'm not sure what it was doing. Maybe some type of inspection. Too bad I didn't get to see it crossing the viaduct in Nutley. It must be nice to go over the viaduct in a train or MOW vehicle. Has anybody here ever had the pleasure?
 #364193  by JohnFPorcaro

I got a note that it was taken last Thursday night(02/15/07).
In following this line for the last couple of months, it appears that WAS recieves cars on Tuesday night(Wednesday morning).
For those who want to take pictures, keep your ears open.
There are no trucks blocking the rail lines by WAS, which may mean it is still ready to recieve a car.
 #383186  by JohnFPorcaro

For the first time in a long time, N/S used the old Erie-Newark Branch line during the daytime to deliver TWO CARS to W.A.S. Terminals. The other facinating thing was there were 4-5 hoppers being pulled also. My friend who lives on Highfield took pictures. Click the link to see:

http://members.aol.com/Porcarocpu/RRhighfield.html

I also added a couple of pictures of the 2 cars from W.A.S.

http://members.aol.com/Porcarocpu/rrwas.html

My question out there was why N/S was pulling hoppers through Nutley?
From where to where?
Anyway, exciting news for you Erie-Newark Branch fans!

Its Alive! Its Alive!
Last edited by JohnFPorcaro on Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

#383195  by blockline4180

John,

Thanks for posting the photos!

I believe Van Ness in Clifton still gets cars (covered hoppers). Perhaps the covered hoppers came along for the ride?

#383249  by Shark

Those hopper cars look like Zarega cars.

#383263  by TBRED

Shark,see your back in business! I think that shot was when the 55 went to pick up the 56 today-Per field report

#385794  by NYC27

I checked up on Shiffinhouse/Southern Container - Southern Container is partnered with Solvay Paperboard in Solvay, NY (rail served by Finger Lakes). They prefer to ship by rail...their Ayer, MA box plant gets most of their product by boxcar from Solvay. If they aren't using it at Newark it is because either NS wants this branch dead (with low traffic densitiy high operating costs and valuable real estate I wouldn't blame them) or can't compete price-wise for trucks (only 240 miles from Solvay to Newark). That said, if the NYSW were operating this line from Hawthorne I'm sure you would see this traffic return to rail.
 #387585  by JohnFPorcaro

I gotta admit, I'm surprised but W.A.S. got a 2 car delivery on 4/6/2007,
then a pickup and got another 2 car delivery on 4/12/2007.
Take notice of the numbers on the cars(I had driven by on Saturday and saw the new cars, but originally thought they were the old cars until I spoke to a friend in Nutley).
Either way it is a very good sign that the Erie - Newark Branch is still active.

http://members.aol.com/Porcarocpu/rrwas.html
Last edited by JohnFPorcaro on Mon May 28, 2007 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #390522  by bukie2k

JohnFPorcaro wrote:Drove by today & saw THREE(count'em), three cars today at W.A.S.
Those might be the ones that rolled through Nutley around 3AM this past Saturday.