• Wellsboro & Corning discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Matt Langworthy

poppyl wrote:Interesting idea, although I wonder how much the Steuben and NYS gov'ts would like to see tourist trains going into PA rather than up the B&H to Bath and H-port. I vaguely remember that the idea of running from Painted Post to H-port was kicked around a while back but died due to a lack of private and public money and willingness.
That's news to me. I grew up in Hammondpsort and I still have friends/family in the general area. I've never heard of a propsoal to run any excursions between Bath and Painted Post. Yes, there talk about having an excursion train to run between Bath and the waterfront in Hammondsport during the late '80s/early '90s... but the excursions that did happen never went north of the Taylor/Great Western complex in Rheims.

it's a moot point, anyway... since the LA&L has no interest in excursion operations.
  by Matt Langworthy

poppyl wrote:Not sure what the relevance of this is, but the Alcos currently come off the W&C at Gang Mills and onto the NS yard tracks for interchange work.

Poppyl
Yeah, I've seen a photo of #506 pulling into the yard at Gang Mills... so I'm guessing the WCOR SD40-2s will do the same thing.
  by Matt Langworthy

RS-3 wrote:"So if it costs roughly $12,000 in annual repair and maintenance costs for each Alco, and an SD40 costs roughly $8,000 for the same, then:"

Flatwheel, Could you tell us where you got the figures quoted above?

LVR325: "I don't think you could buy that many if you wanted to, unless you bought hulks that need complete rebuilds, or paid top dollar for well-maintained locomotives."

Actually a good number of C-424's and RS-18's just went to scrap despite being in great condition. But I suspect that if the trains are required to go off W&C trackage that the Class I's might not agree to Alcos.

RS
The B&H and WCOR/Tioga Central have already operated Alcos into Gang Mills... so I don't think NS has a problem with them.

Also, just how many C424s and RS18s went to the scrapper?
  by poppyl

Matt Langworthy wrote:
poppyl wrote:Interesting idea, although I wonder how much the Steuben and NYS gov'ts would like to see tourist trains going into PA rather than up the B&H to Bath and H-port. I vaguely remember that the idea of running from Painted Post to H-port was kicked around a while back but died due to a lack of private and public money and willingness.
That's news to me. I grew up in Hammondpsort and I still have friends/family in the general area. I've never heard of a propsoal to run any excursions between Bath and Painted Post. Yes, there talk about having an excursion train to run between Bath and the waterfront in Hammondsport during the late '80s/early '90s... but the excursions that did happen never went north of the Taylor/Great Western complex in Rheims.

it's a moot point, anyway... since the LA&L has no interest in excursion operations.

The topic last raised its head back when the developer of the townhouses down by the lake in H-port brought it up during the planning and approval stages for his development. As I remember, it never got beyond a few people thinking about the feasibility.

As if H-port needs more people during the summer and fall. :-)

Anyway, you are right that the entire issue is moot at this point.

Poppyl
  by poppyl

Back on the topic, for a moment. Does anyone know how frequently this sand traffic to Wellsboro Jct will occur and for how long? And what is the ruling grade between Gang Mills and Wellsboro Jct.?

Thanks.

Poppyl
  by Matt Langworthy

poppyl wrote:
Matt Langworthy wrote:

The topic last raised its head back when the developer of the townhouses down by the lake in H-port brought it up during the planning and approval stages for his development. As I remember, it never got beyond a few people thinking about the feasibility.

As if H-port needs more people during the summer and fall. :-)

Anyway, you are right that the entire issue is moot at this point.

Poppyl
I'll be glad to discuss the situation in Hammondsport with you in the B&H forum, if you'd like.
  by Matt Langworthy

poppyl wrote:Back on the topic, for a moment. Does anyone know how frequently this sand traffic to Wellsboro Jct will occur and for how long? And what is the ruling grade between Gang Mills and Wellsboro Jct.?

Thanks.

Poppyl
Good questions. I am also curious about the future of the transload facility. I assume it's meant to be a permanent operation... but I'd like conformation on that. I am looking forward to a summer chase...
  by K4Pacific

Here are answers to many of your questions and many answers will lead to more questions.

The TC and Tommy Myles are still activly persuing entrance into Corning. Corning Planning and Econ Development Steve Dennis, the Steuben County CVB, are working toward that end. www.GlassFest.org is trying to be the first event. The NS situation is being worked through as well.

The ruling grade is .85% from Tioga to Summit just prior to Hammond Damn. Summit is near the bridge the road goes under toward Hammond Lake once one leaves Tioga.

The Myles Group owns and operates the sand transfer with the facility surely being open for some time. Frequency of trains will be as traffic warrants. Originally Tuesday and Friday trips to Gang Mills. Although, a trip was made Monday.

The SD40-2's again need a little more work to meet FRA openartional standards. I'll try to get an update tomorrow.
  by RS-3

RS[/quote]

The B&H and WCOR/Tioga Central have already operated Alcos into Gang Mills... so I don't think NS has a problem with them.

Also, just how many C424s and RS18s went to the scrapper?[/quote]

Running passenger trains over NS is not quite the same as coming into the yard to interchange freight traffic.

All six Ottawa Central C-424's and a number of their RS-18's went to scrap earlier this year. All were in top notch condition and at least one of the RS-18's had been upgraded to Dash 3 standards and work done on them included: rebuilt trucks,
MMI (Man Machine Inferface), bulk heads to seperate the main gen
compartment, from the engine compartment and a new air intake for the main
gen compartment. 1821 and 1868 later received completely rebuilt 251 C blocks.

RS
  by Matt Langworthy

RS-3, as I noted previously in this thread:
Matt Langworthy wrote:An excursion operationg out of Corning would be great, but it would require the permission of NS... as they own the tracks from Gang Mills into Corning.
The previous reference to Alcos operating into Gang Mills was in regards to the freight operations on WCOR, not the TC passenger excursions.

Thank you for the information about the OC's Alco fleet.
  by Matt Langworthy

K4Pacific wrote:Here are answers to many of your questions and many answers will lead to more questions.

The TC and Tommy Myles are still activly persuing entrance into Corning. Corning Planning and Econ Development Steve Dennis, the Steuben County CVB, are working toward that end. http://www.GlassFest.org is trying to be the first event. The NS situation is being worked through as well.

The ruling grade is .85% from Tioga to Summit just prior to Hammond Damn. Summit is near the bridge the road goes under toward Hammond Lake once one leaves Tioga.

The Myles Group owns and operates the sand transfer with the facility surely being open for some time. Frequency of trains will be as traffic warrants. Originally Tuesday and Friday trips to Gang Mills. Although, a trip was made Monday.

The SD40-2's again need a little more work to meet FRA openartional standards. I'll try to get an update tomorrow.
Wow... this is great news! Keep us posted!
  by spflanger

Excursion trains would not be running on the NS mainline.

W&C has to cross the river to get into Gang Mills yard.

The NS local track is on the east side of the river and runs around the hill, then under Denison Parkway into downtown Corning (goes right by Wegmans and across Bridge St)
  by RS-3

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ah, NOW I understand. I'm surprised that spur hasn't been leased out to someone already. Yes, I could see passenger operations happening under that scenario. (Hopefully without an SD40,)

RS