• Wellsboro & Corning discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

• 196 posts
  by Matt Langworthy

scottychaos wrote:concerning the Reading & Northen in Coxton yard..
what does this have to do with W&C??
I dont see how they are related..
or is the R&N operation just being used as an example of what might happen with the W&C?
I was using the R&N operation as a related example, since the Myles Group is involved in that operation and it involves frac sand.

Speaking of the Tioga Central, here is an excursion that took place after the Myles Group took over:

Photo taken by me Saturday 9/13/2008.
  by Matt Langworthy

scottychaos wrote:Thanks Matt..

my sister and her family rode on a "Santa Train" on the Tioga Central 3 months ago..December 2009..
they are definately still running! ;)

Scot
You're welcome!

Getting back on track (tee hee), when will the SD40-2s arrive? And when will this new transload facility start operating? I'm starting to think about chasing WCOR this summer.
  by thebigham

I'm sure the W&C will continue to use the Alcos on the excursion trains.
  by Matt Langworthy

thebigham wrote:I'm sure the W&C will continue to use the Alcos on the excursion trains.
Excellent. Alot of shortlines (thouugh not all of them) prefer to roster locomotives from a single manufacturer to keep the parts supply and maintenance as simple as possible... so it's nice to know WCOR will buck the trend.
  by K4Pacific

Today’s M1T had four SD40-2 with the marking WCOR.  These four units are heading to the WCOR proper. Their sand business has grown to 65 car trains. This may want to move to PA forum. But power is resting at Gang Mills after trip out of Buffalo. Nice paint. Something different to photograph.
  by K4Pacific

Well, the power already went to Tioga Jct. So if one wanted to see them in action on a rainy day tomorrow would be a good day. A good spring cleansing rain shouldn't dampen our spirits.
  by spflanger

The Wellsboro & Corning is owned by the Myles Group (including the Tioga Central). Since Myles took over, the railroad is doing very well. The Wellsboro & Corning received $176,575 from the state of Pennsylvania, back in December 2009. The Myles group operates both the IWG/D&I joint sand facilty and the Wellsboro & Corning Railroad.

In a Wellsboro Gazette article dated Dec. 16, 2009 Mr Myles is quoted, "As for the $700,000 in grant monies D&I received," Myles commented, "a portion of the monies will be used in the Wellsboro area. Plans are being developed that contemplate constructing structures with high speed conveyors to further support the sand transloading operation. The new structure will be a bulk stroage facility to house hydrofracturing sand for use by gas drilling companies involved in drilling for Marcellus shale. D&I Silica is from Sheffield, Pa. Warren County.

Under the 2009 Rail freight Assistance Program, the joint venture is currently constructing 1,900 feet of new track between South and North Dresser Road in Delmar Township, Tioga County, near Wellsboro Jct.

Interestingly, in the same article, there is a picture of NS engines from Gang Mills at the site moving hoppers of sand. I haven't seen large engines on the line in a long time.

I wish I could link the article but I have been unable to find it on line.
  by Matt Langworthy

Thanks for the article. I didn't know where the transload facility would be located until you posted it... and I wondered how well the rails south of Wellsboro Jct could handle 65 unit trains. It looks like that won't be a problem.

Now that the SD40-2s are on the property, will WCOR build a new engine house on the property or just leave them outdoors between runs?
  by sallenparks

MATT they have a loco shop in Tioga Jct. it went up last year.
  by Matt Langworthy

sallenparks wrote:MATT they have a loco shop in Tioga Jct. it went up last year.
Yes, I've seen the photo of it on the WCOR website.... but it only looks big enough to hold the 3 Alcos. Of course, I might be mistaken, so how big is the engine house?
  by sallenparks

It might be big enough ownly for the ALCO's if the weather holds I'll be down their next week I'll take a closer look and find out for you.
  by K4Pacific

The power went south yesterday at 830. They need work. No horns. Old fuel. Missing glass. The one engine that could run is in the barn at Wellsboro Jct. They will get them up and running as soon as they can.
  by Alcoman

Matt Langworthy wrote:
thebigham wrote:I'm sure the W&C will continue to use the Alcos on the excursion trains.
Excellent. Alot of shortlines (thouugh not all of them) prefer to roster locomotives from a single manufacturer to keep the parts supply and maintenance as simple as possible... so it's nice to know WCOR will buck the trend.
I wonder if they had purchased 12 C424's and/or RS-18's from CN, if it would have mad more sense and cheaper too?
  by Flat-Wheeler

Alcoman wrote: I wonder if they had purchased 12 C424's and/or RS-18's from CN, if it would have mad more sense and cheaper too?
Maintenance and repair would be cost prohibitive to a better deal in the long run. SD40s have relatively recently become a dime a dozen now that so many 100's of 'em have been replaced by the latest technology, so prices have dropped and parts are easily attainable. So if it costs roughly $12,000 in annual repair and maintenance costs for each Alco, and an SD40 costs roughly $8,000 for the same, then:
12 x $12,000 = $144,000 for maintaining the Alcos annually, versus 4 x $8,000 = $32,000 annually for the EMD's....
It most surely doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that it makes more business sense over the next 3-5 years to go with SD40's, even if they cost twice as much per unit, compared with the Alcos.