• Walking The Grand Junction

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by TPR37777

So, has anyone walked along the public ways which parallel the Grand Junction lately? Does anyone know what class track it is and what restrictions said classification places upon it ie weight, cargo, etc?

by CSX Conductor

Many people walk the Grand Jct Running Track although it is tresspassing.

It is classified as FRA Excepted Track and is limited to 10mph.

by Rockingham Racer

I thought excepted track meant no passenger trains in addition to the 10 MPH restriction.
  by GP40MC1118

As long as there are no revenue passengers, deadhead equipment moves by the MBTA and Amtrak are allowed.

Dave

by Rockingham Racer

Thanks. Makes perfect sense! I live on a subdivision part of which is excepted track, and I'd love to see a deadhead passenger equipment move! :P
  by NHOwl

Sorry for the dumb question, but is this a direct link between North and South Station that could allow trains to run through from North to South? I didn't think it actually existed.

by johnpbarlow

While a train from South Station could transit to North Station, I don't think it would be direct or quick. Leaving South Station, such a move would have to enter the east end of CSX Beacon Park yard via CP3 and then reverse through some hand throw switches to the Grand Jct route across the Charles. It think the Grand Jct then crosses the MBTA Fitchburg line on a diamond but somehow MBCR/Amtrak moves get to North Station perhaps through Boston Engine Terminal trackage?
  by GP40MC1118

If you are coming from Beacon Park across the Grand Jct, you cross the
MBTA Fitchburg Route mainline at grade (under McGrath Highway). This
"diamond" is part of SWIFT INTERLOCKING, which has mainline crossovers and controls access to and from the Grand Jct plus to the
4th Iron to FX and the west end of BET/Yard 14 Layover. There's also a
power switch to the Cut Tracks off in the inbound mainline (west side of
the mainline).

When the Downeaster headhead moves come from Beacon Park, they
usually do what is refered to by some as "The Swift Shuffle" at Swift.
In other words, the cross the Fitchburg Route, then make a shift
west out No.1 Track, then head east via the mainline to North Station.
They rarely come through Yard 14 on this return trip. Ironically, when
they go TO Southampton Street, they usually go Tower A into Yard 14,
out to Swift to the GJB.

Dave

by blink55184

does anyone have any pictures along this connector?

by blink55184

thanks!

looks awesome

by CSX Conductor

blink55184 wrote:does anyone have any pictures along this connector?
I found these oldies on NERail :wink:

by GP9

That is a nice looking site. It is perfect incouragement for people to trespass on railroad property. :( Look at all the great pictures you can get by ignoring No Trespassing signs, which they even included! Did they included that picure to say, don't try this at home or was it to say, look at what we got away with? Not only can you get good pictures by ignoring those worthless signs, your peers will pat you on the back for a job well done! :( They had so little respect that they included themselves in the pictures.

by Noel Weaver

I would suspect that if the MBTA gets their hands on this and they
probably will in time, the trespassing will be stopped.

IT SHOULD BE.

Noel Weaver

by CSRR573

It is stupid that you would walk acroos an active and narrow bridge across the charles river! But the pictues are cool minus the grafitti.