• Walking The Grand Junction

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by octr202

CSRR573 wrote:It is stupid that you would walk acroos an active and narrow bridge across the charles river! But the pictues are cool minus the grafitti.
Not to mention when there's a perfectly good road bridge directly above it with a sidewalk.

by BayColony1706

if memory serves me, the guy who runs that site is on RR.net.. perhaps he can answer these questions personally

by l008com

Clearly the photographer never watched Lean On Me :-)

by GP40MC 1116

GP9 wrote:That is a nice looking site. It is perfect incouragement for people to trespass on railroad property. :( Look at all the great pictures you can get by ignoring No Trespassing signs, which they even included! Did they included that picure to say, don't try this at home or was it to say, look at what we got away with? Not only can you get good pictures by ignoring those worthless signs, your peers will pat you on the back for a job well done! :( They had so little respect that they included themselves in the pictures.
It's nice to look at history, but im shocked to see that they didn't get arrested or caught by local police, MBCR or Transit Police

by Otto Vondrak

All right already, I think we get the point. No one lkes blatant trespassers. Let's move on.

-otto-

by l008com

*ahem*
So I know it sees lots of MBTA moves, but what does the Grand Junction through cambridge see for freight? How many, how big, where they headed?
Also I still think the Grand Junction would make a gread North South link. Just run the Downeaster to North station, then back into somerville, through cambridge, and back into South Station. And you can run some of the south trains to north station. Just fix up the track so the trains can go.... 40mph? Or so. Amtrak could even rearrange things and run downeasters from NYC to Maine. Although going from north to south station would kinda suck in the middle of the trip, as opposed to being at the end or beggining, when only people using the 'far' station would have to sit through the trip.
  by GP40MC1118

This has been discussed before, but the Grand Jct has little potential for
revenue passenger service:

1) Excepted track...needs major upgrade.
2) CSX's B721 runs four days a week between Everett and Beacon Park
3) Delays required to change ends and/or backup moves at either
end pretty much negate any potential.
4) No direct route off the branch at Swift (Fitchburg Route/Somerville)
to North Station.

d

by CSX Conductor

Actually Dave, B721 does run 5 days a week like all other locals in the Boston area. :wink:
  by GP40MC1118

A Senior moment...Big signal meltdown tonight out to CP24/28..huge
delays for us....

D

by theseaandalifesaver

i'm not trying to brag, but the most recent time i walked this, i saw 2 trains.

one conductor stopped and waived, and another had a small conversation with us while we he was waiting to procede and told us to be carefull, which we where.

keep in mind this is right under the bridge near the allston yard, and near the MBTA tracks.

they really don't seem to mind, as long as you're not doing anything stupid. at least, that's my impression.
  by CSX Conductor

GP40MC1118 wrote:A Senior moment...Big signal meltdown tonight out to CP24/28..huge
delays for us....

D
What would 24 & 28 have to do with you now, working as Chief now Dave?

As for CP-28, I heard this morning that one of our crews (possibly Q264) ran through a switch within the plant after receiving permission by a Stop indication. :(