Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#880475  by District D RTC

D&H train 417-13 tonight is expected to be the last ever run of the D&H to serve the NYC / FreshPond market. While slightly off topic for the MN forum it is on topic as this afternoon will be the end of the era of red engines on the Hudson Line...and era that lasted 11.5 years since the Conrail split.

417 (the northbound) is on duty this afternoon at 14:30 for the trip north back to Kenwood Yard.

Power will be 5690+5671.

See video of last night's LAST 416 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYGNmZMzkv8
 #880630  by AMK0123

District D, Thanks for the heads up. I just observed the 417 northbound through Cold Spring at 2004 hours. Looked to be making good time through the snow....
 #880719  by Steamboat Willie

I will miss seeing them on the Hudson Division. The railroad usually gave those guys some great shots over the road, and on occasion have been given the shot in front of us even during the end of PM peak. When the RTC's told them to give them a good move, they did as they were told!
 #881163  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

2 points of interest. How will the equipment that used to go to or from the D&H get moved now? Will CSX move the cars? Why are you all saying how historic this ceasession of the D&H is; it only started after the breakup of Conrail.
 #881201  by Otto Vondrak

UpperHarlemLine4ever wrote:How will the equipment that used to go to or from the D&H get moved now? Will CSX move the cars?
Yes.
Why are you all saying how historic this ceasession of the D&H is; it only started after the breakup of Conrail.
I'm sorry, was there some other Canadian railroad that served New York City? Not historic enough for you?
 #881546  by Otto Vondrak

Engineer Spike wrote:The D&H is not Canadian! The D&H is to CP what the LIRR was to the PRR.
Well aware... But the engines say Canadian Pacific on the side... Just going by what people observe, I know that D&H has some sort of goofy subsidiary relationship with CP, much like Soo Line.