Railroad Forums 

• Streetcar and LRV cab controls

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#868966  by Myrtone

Des anyone here have information on streetcar and light rail driver controls. I don't know I could find the information just be searching the web, I have tried before and it is difficult to find information on tram controls. I know the PCCs and Boing Vertol LRVs have foot controls combined with non-temporal* deadman's pedals, as do the the Toronto CLRVs and ALRVs. I suppose the Portland streetcars, as well as the Seattle and Tacoma ones have hand controls.

*a non-temporal deadman's brake is one where the driver may always hold the switch continuously (while moving) without the emergency brake coming on automatically.
 #869070  by Patrick Boylan

Philadelphia, both the single and double ended versions of the Kawasaki LRV streetcars have 3 foot pedals, power brake and deadman, pretty similar to what I remember as standard on PCC's.

Where did you get your info that Boeing LRV's had foot controls? When I paid attention in Boston in the late 1970's and early 1980's they had at least hand power control, a lever on the operator's left side windowsill. I assume that same handle also controlled the brake.

I also remember in 2002 one Toronto operator complaining that the Articulated Light Rail Vehicle pedal was harder to use than that on the Canadian Light Rail Vehicles. The CLRV pedals were set up just like PCC's, the pedal control went down into the floor. The ALRV pedal however was suspended from above, although the operator still pushed the pedal down, the pressure and angle it moved were different apparently than what one would get on a PCC.
 #869072  by Myrtone

Patrick Boylan wrote:Philadelphia, both the single and double ended versions of the Kawasaki LRV streetcars have 3 foot pedals, power brake and deadman, pretty similar to what I remember as standard on PCC's.
I think I have read that the PCCs had them to keep the driver's hands free for ticketing.
Patrick Boylan wrote:Where did you get your info that Boeing LRV's had foot controls? When I paid attention in Boston in the late 1970's and early 1980's they had at least hand power control, a lever on the operator's left side windowsill. I assume that same handle also controlled the brake.
For some reason, I remember reading that about the Boing LRVs.
 #869425  by wigwagfan

http://www.oerhs.org/oerhs/roster/photo ... int-03.jpg

The Oregon Electric Railway Museum has a Boeing-Vertol LRV from San Francisco in its roster at Brooks. The above is a photo of the cab of the car.

It is operable, has been operated at the museum, and is typically open for tours (in fact it's one of the very few cars that visitors are permitted to walk into or through).

Unfortunately in this photograph, the radio set is blocking whatever view there is of the right foot area, and I can't tell if that's a pedal in the left foot area or not. I'd look at my own pictures of the cab but they're on a crashed hard drive awaiting resuscitation.
 #869431  by wigwagfan

Myrtone wrote:I suppose the Portland streetcars, as well as the Seattle and Tacoma ones have hand controls.
http://home.comcast.net/~mobyd/Streetca ... ntrols.jpg

That's the best I can find online. I have Streetcar cab photos, but again they're on an inaccessible hard drive at the moment... Many of the Streetcar operators tend to leave their cab doors open (unlike MAX where policy is that they are closed and locked, and it's rare that an Operator will open the curtain.) I don't believe the Streetcar's cab windows have curtains so you can always look inside. Same with Tacoma Link and Seattle Streetcar (been on all three, although they are all the same vehicle.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32620126@N07/3117703902

Here's the controls of the Vintage Trolley in Portland. Has an old style controller - no electronic console here. There is a modern cab signal controller that is above the window, however, for calling signals and lining switches. Unlike the modern MAX and Streetcar LRVs, the cabs are wide open on the Trolley.

If you have some time, check out this blog from a TriMet MAX Operator.
 #869651  by ExCon90

The earliest PCC-type cars in San Francisco (double-ended, called "Magic Carpet" cars) were not true PCCs because of some municipal prohibition (at least at the time) against paying royalties; they had hand controls in the form of a traditional controller rotating in a horizontal plane; as I recall, they had conductors, so the motorman's hands did not need to be free for fare collection. I can't remember whether the brakes were operated by a pedal or not.
 #870296  by wigwagfan

Photos to follow, but I checked out a Portland Streetcar cab today during lunch and sure enough, it has two foot pedals...not sure of the function as I didn't have a lot of time to study it...
 #872043  by typesix

Boeing LRV for MBTA had single lever hand control for power/brake with deadman.There were two right foot pedal switches for sand and horn.