Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#658522  by train2

Need some directions from folks familiar with the subway. I will be on a tourist trip to NYC, once the passengers are dropped off from a bus in Times Square I will have a lot of free time, I am not the driver so I can go do my thing.

From the main tourist area of TSq I will need to go to Penn Station. I have looked over the MTA subway map and need some clarification. The map shows a red line, lines 1,2,3 and 9 passing through 34st/Times Square. Since map doesn't show how many blocks are represented is this the only choice or does the blue line, A,C and E and orange line B,D,F and V which shows on either side represent lines close to me? In other words do you need to look for the red line in particular (and yes I will confirm what line I am at before going down the steps) or is the red the only route in the main area of TSq? The red and blue both show Penn Station stops.

If you are in the main triangle formed by Times Square is the red line the closest or the one I remember going pretty much under the center of TSq??

It appears Penn is only one stop south. Is that better to walk or ride? What would walking time be?

If I latter need to go from TSq to GCT what is the best option? I see a purple line that appears to begin at 34th/TSq and go east to GCT and beyond. But there is also a black line with the letter S that also runs only between those two points. What is the S? The legend dosent' explain this one at all.

What is the current fare for these two moves?
 #658529  by CarterB

From Times Square:
To Penn Station 1, 2, or 3 (one stop south/downtown)
To GCT S (42nd St. Shuttle) One stop East (crosstown)

Could walk from Times Square to either
To Penn Sta 9 blocks South on 7th Avenue
To GCT 4 blocks East on 42nd St.
 #658556  by scotty269

CarterB wrote:From Times Square:
To Penn Station 1, 2, or 3 (one stop south/downtown)
To GCT S (42nd St. Shuttle) One stop East (crosstown)

Could walk from Times Square to either
To Penn Sta 9 blocks South on 7th Avenue
To GCT 4 blocks East on 42nd St.
Yup, I took a trip up to NYC today and went from 34th (NYP) to 59th on the 1. It passed right through Times Square. After making my way around and down to GCT on foot, I took the S from GCT to Times Square, where there is a free transfer to the 1 which will take you to NYP.

Times Square > NYP = 1
Times Square > GCT = S or 7
 #658900  by Kamen Rider

train2 wrote:Need some directions from folks familiar with the subway. I will be on a tourist trip to NYC, once the passengers are dropped off from a bus in Times Square I will have a lot of free time, I am not the driver so I can go do my thing.

From the main tourist area of TSq I will need to go to Penn Station. I have looked over the MTA subway map and need some clarification. The map shows a red line, lines 1,2,3 and 9 passing through 34st/Times Square. Since map doesn't show how many blocks are represented is this the only choice or does the blue line, A,C and E and orange line B,D,F and V which shows on either side represent lines close to me? In other words do you need to look for the red line in particular (and yes I will confirm what line I am at before going down the steps) or is the red the only route in the main area of TSq? The red and blue both show Penn Station stops.

If you are in the main triangle formed by Times Square is the red line the closest or the one I remember going pretty much under the center of TSq??

It appears Penn is only one stop south. Is that better to walk or ride? What would walking time be?

If I latter need to go from TSq to GCT what is the best option? I see a purple line that appears to begin at 34th/TSq and go east to GCT and beyond. But there is also a black line with the letter S that also runs only between those two points. What is the S? The legend dosent' explain this one at all.

What is the current fare for these two moves?
First off; NEVER EVER call the subway lines by thier colors. The color only show which Manhattan trunk the line uses. Lines are know by thier numbers or letters to all, and to some by their routes they use. ask for "the Red Line" and you won't get a right answer.

Secondly, each physical line carries a name by the primarly street it uses and which former company operated it. The "Red" line is the IRT Broadway/7th ave Line AKA the West side IRT; 1,2,3. the "Green" is the IRT Lexington ave line AKA East side IRT;4,5,6. The Blue is the 8th ave Independent;A,C,E. The orange is the 6th ave Independent;B,D,F,V. The yellow is the BMT Broadway Line;N,Q,R,W. the Purlple is the IRT Flushing Line;7. what you see as black (realy more of a charcoal Grey) are the three shuttles, 42nd street in manhattan, Franklin ave in Brooklyn and Rockaway Park in Queens. Brown is the BMT Nassua Street Line;J,M,Z. the light grey is the BMT 14th street-Canarsie Line (also just called the Canarsie line);L. the light green in Brooklyn and Queens is the IND Crosstown line;G. the lines in the outter boros have thier own names seperate from the Manhattan lines, such as IRT Pelham;6. the Queens Blvd IND;E,F,G,R,V. and the BMT 4th ave in brooklyn;D,M,N,R.

thirdly there are no stations directly under times sqaure. the shuttle platform is the furthest north of the complex under 42nd between 7th and Broadway. the West side IRT and the Broadway BMT stations are just about parrale from W42nd down to W40th. the flushing Line is deep under W41st street, and there is a passegeway from above the 7 to the 8th ave station, 42nd Street-Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Now as for getting from W42nd to W34-Penn station, if it's nice out, walk. 8 blocks doesn't nessesitate spending $2 . If it's a bad day, knock yourself out.

Fare is $2 all times to all places. atleast that's right now.
 #660737  by bharatr612

Also, older trainsets tend to have a color bubble that matches the signs you see outside on the street. You'll find most B, D, F, V trains with the characteristic orange bubble with the letter in it. But that is not the case with the newer ones. So you might see the "E" or the "4" in a red circle followed by other trains with a blue "E" bubble (quite common) or a green "4" one (more rare). So don't think a red "E" is different from a blue one. I have seen at least one tourist thrown off by that.
So, to repeat what has already been said, ask for the trains by the letter or number - not the color. And, yes, unless it is 20F outside or raining heavily, Penn station to times square is a nice walk. So is Times Sq to Grand Central.
 #661005  by jonnhrr

If you have plenty of time as you indicated I would suggest getting a day pass and do som,e exploring, if the weather is nice you could ride the 1 to South Ferry and walk around Battery Park, or take the shuttle to GCT and take the 4, 5, or 6 to Brooklyn Bridge, take a walk out on the bridge and see the view. If more adventurous, take the N or Q to Coney Island. That's just a few off the top of my head, there are a lot of things to see in the Big Apple.

Jon