Railroad Forums 

• New Jersey Transit.. test session approaching.. please help!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#605050  by DutchRailnut

talk about perspective, If those things were planes instead of trains, BigC would be wearing a mini skirt and whispering " coffee , tea or me" into passengers ear ;-)
 #605161  by thebigc

DutchRailnut wrote:talk about perspective, If those things were planes instead of trains, BigC would be wearing a mini skirt and whispering " coffee , tea or me" into passengers ear ;-)
Only in your dreams.

And staying in the perspective realm, if these things were ocean liners instead of trains, the BigC would be on the bridge, wearing a white suit and barking out commands and you'd be in a hot engine room obeying them. :P
 #605591  by Portugal316

Ok I worked for NJ Transit for 4 years and can tell you I probulary even know who might be interviewing you LOL. First thing for the testing there really is know way of preparing other than to practive simple math, maintain common sense. Alot of what will be on the test is going to be material that tests your ability: Math, Reading Comprehension, Writing skills and everything else. The only catch is that most of the material on the test is going to be given fast, by that I mean.
Example: 30 Math problems and you have 5 minutes to complete as many as you can and you must deliver on accuracy no partiular score. Problem solving skills ETC.
In the Interview here are some key things:
1- Do research on NJ Transit the company itself. That will show them that you have a great interest in the company
2- SAFETYYYYY thats the bread and butter. Even if you have to make up a story that you helped avert a disaster make it up the love hearing shit about SAFETY
3- Show a great interest in the career itself. You want them to believe that you have a great interest in Operating Equipment and not just the money. You dont want to leave that interview and have them believe that your all about money.
4- Show signs of intelligence speak confidently, eye contact, speak confident and your in
 #1498858  by chrishendrix

haamster wrote:I thought you tested in July. Your post was one of the things I used to keep hope alive that I would get called!

Well I did get called and I'm a few months into the program, so here's what I've got:

1. The testing is basic, but no joke. They're testing pattern recognition, vocabulary, simple mechanics, spatial orientation, short term memory and following directions. (Careful on the audio portion of the test and follow directions exactly!)

2. Interview questions were prepared standardized questions like "Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a coworker" or "Tell me about a situation where you had to handle an emergency". I wore a suit. I figured it couldn't hurt.

3. Be early for everything, including the medical, orientation, class, whatever. If you're late even once, you'll be lucky to get through the door, and even if you do you'll have drawn much unwanted attention to yourself.

4. CSX Conductor said it best: take it seriously. Everything. Some people think they're taking it seriously, but really they're spending too much time talking about taking it seriously and neglecting to prepare for the next quiz-test-day-whatever and then they're gone.

Speaking of which, I've got to get back to studying the locomotive air brake...

Hurry up and get hired! I need SOMEONE to be junior to me :-D
Taking the aptitude test in about a week. Any Study material or advice for me bud?
 #1498923  by Acela150

chrishendrix wrote:
haamster wrote:I thought you tested in July. Your post was one of the things I used to keep hope alive that I would get called!

Well I did get called and I'm a few months into the program, so here's what I've got:

1. The testing is basic, but no joke. They're testing pattern recognition, vocabulary, simple mechanics, spatial orientation, short term memory and following directions. (Careful on the audio portion of the test and follow directions exactly!)

2. Interview questions were prepared standardized questions like "Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a coworker" or "Tell me about a situation where you had to handle an emergency". I wore a suit. I figured it couldn't hurt.

3. Be early for everything, including the medical, orientation, class, whatever. If you're late even once, you'll be lucky to get through the door, and even if you do you'll have drawn much unwanted attention to yourself.

4. CSX Conductor said it best: take it seriously. Everything. Some people think they're taking it seriously, but really they're spending too much time talking about taking it seriously and neglecting to prepare for the next quiz-test-day-whatever and then they're gone.

Speaking of which, I've got to get back to studying the locomotive air brake...

Hurry up and get hired! I need SOMEONE to be junior to me :-D
Taking the aptitude test in about a week. Any Study material or advice for me bud?
Here's the advice I can give you in this topic. Please don't bring up a 10+ year old topic when you asked in a very recent topic. ;)